Some of the prior reviews from this hotel have had some concerns, particularly about cleanliness and maintenance, so from my experience I would have to say that this place must have changed a lot, because this was the nicest hotel in which we stayed during our 13-day, 6 hotel tour of Sicily (7 hotels in Italy if we count the Fiumicino Airport Hilton). We didn't see any issues of cleanliness or maintenance during our 3-night stay; although one of our lamps flickered, when I reported it, someone came up promptly and replaced the lamp when replacing the light-bulb didn't work. Our room, upgraded due to HHonors Gold status, was very spacious, comfortable, and quiet. Most of the rooms face either a courtyard or a quiet street, and there was no hallway noise, or noise from other rooms during our stay.
The staff were all polite, helpful, and fluent in English. The TV had a range of channels in multiple languages, in addition to the many Italian channels. The breakfast was certainly the best spread among the various hotels during this trip (included for Hilton Gold members). The internet was above average in speed--enough to use YouTube although not as fast as at home. I've had better connections, but most of the hotels in which we stayed (mainly rated 4*'s) were slower. The restaurant food was good and surprisingly reasonably-priced, especially their fixed-price menu.
My main caveat with this hotel is that there is no parking anywhere near the hotel, so getting your car from the front desk is a half-hour affair. The first time I got our car, I went to the front desk after waiting 20 minutes, and the guy said that the cars were taken somewhere "near the port." The day we left, I asked the front desk guy to start the process when we finished breakfast because all we had to do was finish packing and bring down our luggage. Unfortunately, this was the only time the staff didn't come through because he hadn't started the process when I came to check out, so we were stuck waiting for another half hour. The hotel is a 15-minute walk from the main sights in the old town, but the flip side of that is that the traffic getting to the hotel isn't too bad. It's on the side of town closer to the Palermo airport.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mercure Palermo Excelsior is located in the Liberty style area of the city and is surrounded by the English Garden, Villa Garibaldi, Villa Trabia, close to the shopping area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, ACCOR and Booking.com so you can book your Mercure Palermo Excelsior reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excelsior Hilton Palermo Hotel Palermo
- Hilton Palermo
- Mercure Palermo Excelsior Sicily