We stayed here because we were traveling with my parents who had Hilton Points and used them to pay for the rooms. The only room that would fit my husband and I and our two children was a junior suite. We were initially excited as we never spend the money to stay in a room like that!
PROS: Beautiful decor, incredibly high ceilings. We had a gorgeous view over the neighboring park. The breakfast buffet was good, large by Italian standards, and included typical Sicilian pastries, plus oatmeal, eggs, sausage, cereals, fresh fruits and various meats and cheeses. The room included an in-room electric tea kettle with an assortment of tea bags. It was lovely for us to have a separate room with a (true) king-sized bed and our kids slept in the "front room" of the suite on the fold-out couch and a roll-away bed.
CONS: The carpet was old and didn't feel clean. The (carpeted) steps leading up to the floor where our room was located were filthy. The shower head sprayed in every direction except down. The tub was clogged and filled so fast that we barely had time to shower. It took over 30 minutes to drain, which was a total pain when all four of us were trying to get clean before bed. We never figured out how to work the a/c controls, so the rooms felt stuffy all night (couldn't open the windows because they were floor-to-ceiling doors which were beautiful but let in tons of light and the noise from the streets below).
I don't know that I can call this last point a pro or a con, but somehow I had hoped for a softer bed since, in my mind, the Hilton is a nicer hotel than a typical Italian hotel. However, the beds are the classic Italian beds - lower to the ground with a very firm mattress and no box spring. It was a very large bed by Italian standards, though - a true king-sized bed instead of two twins pushed together.
I'll never pay to stay here, but with the Hilton points I suppose it was worth it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mercure Palermo Excelsior is located in the Liberty style area of the city and is surrounded by the English Garden, Villa Garibaldi, Villa Trabia, close to the shopping area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Venere, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, ACCOR, Travelocity, Odigeo, Expedia and Agoda so you can book your Mercure Palermo Excelsior reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excelsior Hilton Palermo Hotel Palermo
- Hilton Palermo
- Mercure Palermo Excelsior Sicily