Beautiful converted palazzo, situated on upmarket shopping street. Easy walk into town along the pleasant avenue lined with pricey boutiques (although there is a good supermarket in easy reach on the right as you walk into town - about 5 mins from the hotel) with lots and lots to see. Our room was fabulous - separate sitting room and beautiful bathroom - we had a corner room overlooking the English Garden and the room was surprisingly quiet considering how busy the avenue is, thanks to the shutters. The room was spotless and all the furnishings were exactly as you would expect from the brand and in keeping with the building.
Breakfast was nice, fantastic coffee and local food as well as your standard breakfast table stuff. There was a rather strange selection of music playing, but it provided us with a bit of a chuckle to start the day with.
All the staff we had contact with were very polite and helpful - especially reception who gave us maps for town and helped with buses to go to Monreale (really worth the trip...but so was the centre of town - just beautiful architecture and some amazing churches) as well as restaurant recommendations and help with my phrase book italian.
The Prestia e Commande bus for the airport stops right opposite the hotel (English Garden stop), it will save you a bit of a walk from Politeama which is the major stop at this end of town.
We ate (twice! Unheard of for us....) at Le Volte, just a few streets up on the right (via Agrigento - 3 or 4 mins from the hotel). The food was just a perfect end to our tour around Sicily...easily the best food we ate on our trip.
All in all, a good experience at the hotel - enough consistency came with the brand, but there was enough individuality with a very sympathetic conversion of a stunning building to make it a lovely hotel and one I would recommend to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mercure Palermo Excelsior is located in the Liberty style area of the city and is surrounded by the English Garden, Villa Garibaldi, Villa Trabia, close to the shopping area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Venere and ACCOR so you can book your Mercure Palermo Excelsior reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excelsior Hilton Palermo Hotel Palermo
- Hilton Palermo
- Mercure Palermo Excelsior Sicily