“at home in Palermo” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 99 Hotels in Palermo
San Rafael, California
“at home in Palermo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We thought Palermo would be a difficult place to enjoy, but it wasn't at all and Hotel Joli, well located, re-decorated wtih good service was a joy. Breakfasts weren't much. We enjoyed the terrace and the good location.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Booked this via booking.com and did not pick the cheapest available room, yet on arrival, given a dingy ground floor room that clearly would be a "value" room (rm 103). Concierge couldn't care less, was rude and unhelpful. When I asked to cancel the booking as I wanted to move elsewhere he told me that there was no manager available and I would be charged for the room for the night if I left. I showed him my booking confirmation which showed the room should not be of this class. He just shrugged and said the hotel is full. After half an hour he came up with what seemed to be a better room (112). However, there was constant noise all night like the fan in a bathroom continually going. When I went to look outside in the morning (Terrace is on other side) there were no less than 6 air conditioning units on the outside wall which the head of the bed was against. So, next morning I again went to the unfriendly concierge and told him I would like to check out, for some reason he seemed determined that I would stay, even though he and the other staff (apart from one lovely, friendly chambermaid) looked daggers at us to the extent we didn't go to breakfast after the first day as it felt so uncomfortable. At this stage he gave me room 105 which is lovely and probably an upgrade from the room class I had actually booked.

It was all fractious and unpleasant and necessary. They should just have been honest and said they'd over booked and let me leave without a fee the first night seeing as they downgraded me. I was happy to go elsewhere and felt trapped there.

Ironically I had booked this place on the recommendation of a friend who said they were a lovely friendly hotel - she is fluent in Italian though and went low season so probably that's why her experience was so different from mine.

I'm not bothered by the small bathrooms and 1 person lift. That is usual for an old building in a crowded town. Street noise too is to be expected. Nasty service and cheating on a booking is another case altogether though.

Room Tip: If you book via net DEFINITELY email to find out what room you have. Be aware it is on a very busy...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Our stay was great....Front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Room and bath were large..with lovely character....We had a room with a small balcony where I was able to watch the square...my husband stood on the street and took a photo of me on the balcony.....Breakfast was great....I recommend to all and will book again if I have the good fortune to travel to Palermo again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I cannot imagine another hotel in Palermo that gives the same value as the Hotel Joli. From GREAT Location to accommodating staff, the hotel Joli is a perfect 3 star hotel for those who want comfort but don't need all the expensive trappings. The hotel is small but it is certainly able to meet all the needs for a comfortable stay in the best part of Palermo.

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a balcony, do so.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here in Aug. The rooms are large but in serious need of updating. Air conditioning very noisy, almost unbearable. Breakfast was good, balcony view of via Roma, not the greatest. I think we could have made a better choice and will next time....Grimmy...

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The Hotel Joli is a great place to stay in Palermo. We have retuned for the past 3 years. Marsella who is at the front desk is extremely friendly and knowledgeable. She always greets you with a big smile and can assist with advice on places of interest, restaurants and the best way to get around town. The rest of the staff are very efficient as well.
The rooms are always well maintained and clean. Our room overlooked a garden plaza which was lovely and quiet. Location, location, location…the location of the Hotel Joli is ideal. It is near major bus hubs and a short walk from the Port. The continental breakfast is very good with lots of variety and is served in a nice room off of the lobby. The rates are very reasonable especially in regard to the customer service received, the quality of the facility and the location. We highly recommend this hotel while visiting Palermo.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Red Bluff, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We arrived at almost midnight, and the hotel lobby was so hot - it felt like there was no air conditioning. Our rooms were on the 2nd floor (the ground floor being 0) there was a VERY SMALL elevator that would hold ONE person and ONE piece of luggage. With four of us trying to get to our rooms - it was quite difficult. Upon entering the room - it was pretty good size - however, it was quite hot and the air conditioner made quite a bit a noise. The bathroom had NO toilet paper and not even a holder for it! Breakfast the next morning was not very appetizing - even though we had paid for several nights, we checked out anyway and booked a different hotel. Life's too short to be miserable---especially in a wonderful place like Sicily!

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here, make sure you have the ability to cancel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Joli? Share your experiences!