“Peaceful location, great service, scrumptious breakfast!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Villa Igiea

Save Saved
You added Grand Hotel Villa Igiea to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Villa Igiea
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Salita Belmonte 43, 90142 Palermo, Sicily, Italy (Formerly Grand Hotel Villa Igiea)   |
Ranked #18 of 98 hotels in Palermo
Indore, India
“Peaceful location, great service, scrumptious breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband and I went to Sicily for our honeymoon and this was our first and the best hotel in the entire trip. We stayed here for 2 days in December 2013 and were greeted with strawberries and champagne in our room! Though our room did not have any kind of view, but we found it to be cozy and well decorated. The hotel staff was very courteous and patiently answered all our questions and even helped us plan our excursions. I would like to make a special mention of the breakfast spread in this hotel...ranging from delicious pies and croissants to cold meats and cheese..it was truly lavish. We did not try out the in-house restaurants for other meals though as we either ate out or bought supplies from a nice supermarket nearby. The hotel is overlooking a beautiful marina along with mountains on the horizon, and we enjoyed many strolls and photo-sessions there. It was also easy to reach from the city center via buses or cabs. Overall, a great experience!!

Room Tip: Our room was on the 2nd floor and sadly without any view. Choose rooms on higher floors or specifica...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
VitoGiglio, Direttore at Grand Hotel Villa Igiea, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear Guest,

I thank you for taking the time to review the Grand Hotel Villa Igiea.
I immediately shared your comment with my whole team and I want to thank you on their behalf.
Your review fills us with pride and inspires us to do even better.

I really hope to welcome you back at Grand Hotel Villa Igiea , for this reason, please do not hesitate to contact me for your next visit to Palermo.

Sincerely

569 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed here for 8 days in June 2013 and enjoyed it. A slightly run-down neighbourhood but the hotel itself is lovely with good gardens and a nice pool area overlooking the sea. We particularly liked being away from the madness that is Palermo - driving is a bit of a nightmare! The concierge was very helpful in terms of giving us driving directions to get back to the hotel from the main motorway, but each time we went out we had a few problems finding our way back. Get a good map if you can!
We had a room overlooking the sea and gardens. Not one of the very best rooms (no balcony) but comfortable and well appointed.
The restaurant was excellent for evening meals, with lovely food and good service. We ate there 4 times during our stay. Breakfast in the restaurant (well - on the terrace) was good but they were slow to replenish some items especially fruits. I've only given the hotel 4 stars overall mainly because we felt that the pool restaurant was really overpriced for lunches, and the service was erratic to say the least. They seemed to ignore some people (including us) and fawn over others!
We did eat out a few nights locally - there is a good pizza place and another small family-run restaurant with very good fish just down the road - they were charming and greeted us like long -lost friends the second time we went in.
The hotel has a small fitness room with a couple of treadmills, bikes and cross-trainer. It was fine, but again there was a lack of attention to detail - sometimes there was no water available in the fridge, or no towels.
The hotel quite often hosted weddings or glamorous parties (wow - the Sicilians really know how to do sharp dressing!) but we were never disturbed by excessive noise.
All in all this was a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

VitoGiglio, Direttore at Grand Hotel Villa Igiea, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Guest,
first of all, thank You very much for taking the time to send Your review.
We are very pleased that you're satisfied of your journey in Gran Hotel Villa Igiea.
The comments of our guests are always very important to us because through these we understand even more where to intervene for improve the quality of our services.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards
Hotel Manager
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

That title just about sums it all up. We had nice rooms with terraces overlooking the marina, but the hotel is a bit tired and dated.. it probably was grand once, but that must have been a while ago. Our tour guide told us that this was the best hotel to stay in in Palermo, which says it all.

Palermo is probably worth staying in for a day just to see the magnificent Capella Palatina, but that's it!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
VitoGiglio, Direttore at Grand Hotel Villa Igiea, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear guest
First of all I thank you for your comments on trip advisor and for choosing the grand Hotel Villa Igiea.
I am very sorry for the bad impression you had about the building that you define as "Tired".
For this reason, taking advantage of the low occupancy of this period, we are doing important work of renovation of it regarding the rooms, the garden and common areas.

I am also sorry that you have not enjoyed Palermo and its many historical and cultural sites.
I hope you can return to Sicily. Our guest relations and concierge would be happy to make you discover the beauties of Palermo .
I would be honored to give you my personal welcome back in Sicily and take care of your stay at Grand Hotel Villa Igiea.
Best Regards
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Villa Igiea is an exceptional early 20th Century Liberty style luxury hotel which was formerly a destination for fashionable Europeans and royalty. Gracious and attentive service, excellent restaurants in beautiful rooms with large terraces and sea/mountain views, extensive walking/sitting gardens, large breakfast buffet, excellent WiFi. Our room (117) was large, beautifully decorated, comfortable and quiet and had a large private terrace overlooking the sea/mountains and an updated marble/tile bath. Villa Igiea is on the west coast of Palermo 10 minutes drive to the city center. If you do not stay here, come for lunch/dinner/drinks to experience the extraordinary Old World Charm and sea/mountain views.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest ,

Thank you for having reviewed the Grand Hotel Villa Igiea.
When, this morning, I read your comments to my entire team, we were very proud of the work we are doing and to be part of this wonderful hotel.
I and my staff we thank you and we look forward to welcoming you to Palermo.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We really enjoyed this hotel. Our trip to Sicily was on points earned with our credit card, so hotel selection was limited and we would probably not have chosen to stay in Palermo which, although we did enjoy and has some great sights to see and great restaurants, is noisy and dirty. The Grand Hotel is a little way out of the city which was a great relief. The bus service they provide is great - do not attempt to drive yourself, the driving in Palermo is legendary, the worst I have ever come across - we parked up the hire car and only used it when we went much further afield on day trips to the great historic sights of the island (which are quite breathtaking).
The hotel is indeed grand and harks back to an elegant era. The staff were all very charming and could not have been more helpful. We had a very nice room on the second floor overlooking the pool and gardens which are lovely. Unfortunately you have the dockyards over on the right which can be a bit noisy, but we got used to it and in the end rather liked the view. Parts of the hotel are rather dated, but we rather liked that too. Breakfast was an excellent buffet with an enormous selection of foods and freshly squeezed orange and good coffee was served immediately. We had two days where we sat by the pool and took lunch at the poolside restaurant which was simple and freshly prepared. In the evening, drinks are served on the terraces looking out to sea, all very elegant. We ate in the restaurant one evening and the food was good, the Sicilian wines excellent - lots of rather smart local people dining and young couples checking it out as a wedding venue (seemingly very popular for large smart functions).

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the sea. If your budget allows, the rooms on the first floor have their own t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
VitoGiglio, Direttore at Grand Hotel Villa Igiea, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

I thank you on behalf of myself and my team for your wonderful review.
I thank you especially on behalf of the my Head Chef for the good review on the restaurant. He was very happy when he read your review.
I agree about the difficulty of driving in Palermo, but we always guarantee a very frequent shuttle bus service to the city and to the bay of Mondello where you can enjoy our private beach.
I am sorry for the inconvenience caused by the shipyard that is 500 meters far from Villa Igeia and it, for a few days a year colud be a bit noise.
I hope tto welcoming you soon again at Grand Hotel Villa Igiea.
Please let me know whenever you'll be back to palermo, I would be happy to take care of your stay personally.

Ramsey, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

The Grand Hotel was our last stop on our latest trip to Italy. It is not in Palermo proper but the hotel does provide transportation into the city which is great. Our room was large and beautifully furnished with access to the patio adjacent to the harbor and the pool. But, you cannot lock the doors from the outside, so if want to go the restaurant, the pool, the harbor you must leave by your front door...not terribly inconvenient, but the solution would be simple ( a lock with a key on the terrrace doors). The bathroom was large, but, there was a deep bathtub (nice) and only a hand held shower...that leaked and therefore not easy to use and dangerous as the floor outside the tub got very wet., When the gentleman that serviced the minbar came by we showed him the problem; he immediately called maintenance but the problem was not repaired during the time we were there. The breakfast was very nice and dinner at the restaurant was very good (but not worth the cost). On occasion, while we were dining we did smell gasoline coming from the adjacent harbor. I don't think this is rectifiable. But remember, this was our last stop. So realistically, we have to compare these aspects to those at every place we had visited before. And, we stayed at such lovely places with amazing breakfasts and incomparable dinners for less money that the Grand Hotel cannot receive a "5". Would I return, maybe. But we were very impressed with the city of Palermo; so we think we would like to stay "in town" next time. By the way, there is beautiful arte nouveau architecture in the main areas of the hotel..don't miss finding the conference room, furniture and art that exemplifies this period.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
I thank you for having reviewed the grand hotel villa igiea.
I really appreciated your words on the style and atmosphere of the villa. in spite of this I am very sorry to bad maintenance service that has caused you discomfort during your stay.
In this period of low occupancy we are doing renovation work that also affect room's tubs and showers so I think that very soon we will solve these problems.
I hope to have you as a guest soon again and give you my personal welcome.
when you decide to return to Palermo please let me know because I would like to take care of your stay.
best regards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Grand Hotel Villa Igiea is some way from the 'walking areas' of Palermo - maybe that is part of its charm!
My stay was on business, just for one night, three days before Christmas, so out of Season... (perhaps that explains the only Christmas decoration being the solitary tree in reception). I was given a very nice luxury room, with balcony overlooking the harbour and the bay. My reception was friendly and welcoming, and I was portered to my room and given a demonstration of the facilities.
The bar itself is co-located in the centre of the dining area which seemed a little out of the ordinary, but, suitably 'armed' with a drink, I met my colleague in a pleasant undercover seating area in the adjacent conservatory (warmer days would enable this to be taken outside on a very pretty verandah).
The food in the restaurant was ok, although the beef fillet, cut into strips (!) and ordered medium/well, arrived rare - not unusual in Mediteranean countries.
Breakfast again was fine, if a little limited in variety, but service was prompt and respectful.

First visit to the bathroom upon waking in the morning, revealed three cockroaches 'captive' in the bathtub. These were quickly depatched down the plughole with the shower attachment and normality returned..........

Yes - would definitely stay again in a similar harbour facing room. I would relish the chance to investigate the hotel grounds and the locality in the spring/summer, & when I had more time (if only).

Room Tip: Lovely room and view on the harbour side of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
First of all, thank you for having reviewed the Grand Hotel Villa Igiea.
I am very happy to read that you Would come back to the Villa , but very sorry for your inconvenience occured in the bathroom of your room.
Fortunately, this kind of inconvenience do not happen often to our guests because we are very careful to make pest control against cockroaches during all seasons.

I assure you that we will pay more attention to this case and immediately I will contact our pest control company.
I beg your pardon again.
Please contact me personally when you come back to Palermo because I want to take care of your reservation and your stay.
I am looking forward to hearing from you
Best regards

Been to Grand Hotel Villa Igiea? Share your experiences!