“The best choice in the heart of Palermo!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of B&B Sant'Agostino

You added B&B Sant'Agostino to your Saves list
B&B Sant'Agostino
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Sant'Agostino 174, 90134 Palermo, Sicily, Italy   |
Ranked #81 of 319 Palermo B&B and Inns
Barcelona
“The best choice in the heart of Palermo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

B & B Sant'Agostino is a delightful place to stay in the heart of Palermo. Located on a market street, this former palace has been recently refurbished. All rooms have artworks by the owner's father, a really friendly and hospitable young guy. Terrace, breakfast room with piano, reading room, and bedrooms that are brand new and comfortable. All together makes B & B Sant'Agostino a special acommodation. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This little gem was recommended to me by a friend who lives in Palermo and I'm very glad indeed to have found it. It is a newly and tastefully renovated townhouse on a characterful market street a stone's throw from all the sights. I stayed a week and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. It has all mod cons, including (free) fast wifi. The young owner and the rest of the staff were helpful, welcoming, and discreet. It was a pleasure to return to this haven of peace after a day in fascinating but chaotic Palermo. Finally, the B&B is adorned with some fine sculptures and paintings by the owner's father, which make it extra-special.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
New Bern, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Since I have “an honor” to give a first review to this B&B , newly opened – I will try to be as descriptive as I can .
One thing from the get-go : I stayed there for a week and I was very happy .
The location cannot be beat. It is 2-3 minutes walk to Teatro Massimo and upscale shopping streets where the whole town seems to take an evening stroll, 7-10 minutes of unhurried walk to surrounding museums and architectural masterpieces that abound in old town, nightlife and food places are a stone throw away . The street itself turns into a marketplace every day – you can get anything from the most amazing ( and surreally cheap ) local produce to clothing and gifts. Don’t worry , the market starts quite late and doesn’t disturb jet-lagged sleep :-)
The street is pedestrian-only which is a mixed blessing : if you have tons of suitcases call ahead for assistance ( it was easy though ) since cars can only make it to about two blocks away.
But when you hear, see and smell street traffic you will fully appreciate car-free zone.
The building is a very ancient looking townhouse newly restored, in and out. There is no hotel sign - so pay attention to the address given. You enter through the massive door to get into a lobby area
( lots of marble and some great artwork ). There is an elevator – and , hooray , it is not ancient but a modern see-through glass contraption ( if you have been to one of those ,musty, tiny, dangerously wobbly elevators in old hotels you know what I mean ).
On check-in we were given a set of keys - for our room as well as a for the front door. We were free to roam unchecked at any time of day or night . Streets ,by the way, felt safest of any European city I remember- even in prim and proper places in Northern Europe one can encounter unpleasantly drunk hordes of young men loitering aimlessly looking for trouble. Not here. I felt at 2AM just as safe as in midday.
The room and setting looks exactly like the photographs on hotel’s website. A surprise , because quite often “official” glam photos are far cry from ugly cavernous spaces travelers encounter ( thank you, Tripadvisor for letting us know the truth from fellow wonderers ). You can judge for yourself, I did some photos just for fun…
Our room was a very large size with slanted high ceiling , windows facing the street. AC is silent and very good and you control it yourself. The bed was just right – not too soft and not too hard. Bedding and linens were high quality, just as was a trim and detailing in a room and bathroom space. The whole space is very tastefully done and decorated .
Common area is very spacious and consists of dining room with gorgeous painted cove ceiling ( internet station is in this room as well ) a media room with large TV and fantastic paintings and art, kitchen ( a dream kitchen , I might add – I wish I could have it in my own house ) and a courtyard terrace which is a delightful place to relax and have a drink.
Complimentary breakfast was I think what is called “an expanded continental”: pastries, croissants, selection of jams , toast, yoghurt , fresh fruits , juice , coffee – both American and espresso. While I am not without a sin of pigging out on free stuff ( hoping to walk it off later in the day ) I found myself barely partaking of coffee with some sweets. The reason is late dinners, a local tradition which you are forced to join – where a dinner starts well after 9PM and lasts into wee hours.
Staying for a business trip ( seriously ) I didn’t feel deprived of any basic business amenities either: free wireless internet , a station with fax, scanner/printer. “Mailboxes etc” nearby – the ONLY place to send mail ( if you like your mail really slow , try Italian Post office, close by as well ).
Finally , people who run the hotel. I must disclaim here that I am no fan of B&Bs style of hotels , I travel close to 200 days a year and unlike leisure travelers I like my hotels to be predictable and somewhat impersonal. I have no time to socialize and I am always leery of owners who like to sit and chat for hours in front of a fireplace.
Having said that, I must say that this stay exceeded all my expectations – by a huge margin, and not in a small part by a human factor. The owner is a lovely young lady - discreet, sweet and friendly without ever hovering. She was always there when we needed her and happy to offer any advice. Other than that she was unseen and unheard.
The housekeeping part was done without ever inconveniencing my erratic schedule ( don’t you hate when a cleaning lady makes you feel like you are impeding on HER schedule by staying too long in your room? ).
I would be hard pressed to find anything that leaves more to be desired. If I was to nit-pick :-) I wish for more stylish dining room furniture – there is something of a clash between ceiling frescoes and plastic chairs with plain square tables. Another thing ( most of Italian hotels suffer from it ) , toiletries!
Little pouches of generic hair/body soap just don’t go well with upscale feel of the hotel.
I always carry my set of L’Occitaine just for those occasions so I didn’t feel deprived :-)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to B&B Sant'Agostino? Share your experiences!