“Central location.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Centrale Palace Hotel

Save Saved
You added Centrale Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Centrale Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corso Vittorio Emanuele 327, 90134 Palermo, Sicily, Italy   |
Ranked #33 of 98 hotels in Palermo
Carlsbad, California
“Central location.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This old aristocratic residence from the 18th century still keeps some impressive remains in the lobby, centrall hallway and dining rooms full of marble columns, frescos and statues. But as the public areas were impressive, the rooms, not at all. Small and simple compared to the luxury of the lobby. The staff, a mix of good and bad. Some helpfull, others appalling. The breakfast was ok, but not to the standard of 4*
The parking is down the alley and very tight for a medium car.
Overall not a good value for money.

Room Tip: Front rooms are very noisy so pick a room in the back.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

438 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We loved this hotel. It's a former princes' palace that was re-furbished and turned into a hotel in the early 2000s. It's true, the standard rooms are a bit spartan, but we were out most of the day anyway and stayed here a week. The public rooms are quite grand and most of their guests seem to be Italian and some tour groups. The breakfast buffet was sumptuous, so much to choose from. You can make your own cannolo. Smoked salmon. Very strong coffee which I mixed with hot water. It's in the old part of the city which is quite beautiful but a bit faded. Sicily is one of the poorest regions of Europe, so there are still some WWII bombed out buildings that they can't afford to replace. Palermo is authentic and unpretentious. In most hotels we stayed in in Sicily (3), Wifi was "challenged." I would stay in this hotel again because it genuinely felt like Italy. If you want something upscale with all the American amenities, go stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband I stayed at this hotel for one night in September. The photos in the brochures and online make the hotel look in better shape than it is. I have to agree with the other travelers that call it rundown and faded. Palermo's historic district also seemed run down and poorly taken care of. A shame when you consider this is their heritage. Many buildings on the same street were shuttered and covered with graffiiti. It seemed like this area had seen far better days. When we arrived at the hotel, there was no doorman or anyone to help us with our luggage. We didn't make a fuss, we just carried our own bags and made our way to our room. After just now reading a few more recent reviews than were available before we booked, I guess there are renovated rooms and older rooms. We clearly got an older room. Since it was just one night, we didn't ask if there was anything better. We were supposedly in a junior suite. While it did have a small room in addition to the bedroom and bathroom, all three rooms were showing their age and very starkly decorated - very depressing. I also have to concur with others who had trouble with wifi in the lobby. It only worked for a short time while we were there. The front desk did attempt to get it back online but unsuccessfully. Breakfast was equally depressing. There were not enough servers, a huge hole in the ceiling of the breakfast room and one of the worst cups of coffee I've ever had. We chose this hotel because it was in the heart of the historic center of Palermo. For those considering visiting the historic center, I'd suggest trying to find a hotel near the new areas of the city - maybe near the theater or Palantine Chapel which was very beautiful (like a mini-Monreal).

Room Tip: Don't make our mistake, ask for a renovated room. But, better yet, find a better hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mariehamn, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed in the hotel only for one night, but as we experienced the room was comfortable, nice and clean, the bed was really big-size. We came to the hotel very late and had to have something to eat. The restaurant was closed and so was the restaurants nearby but a very friendly man in the bar made us some snacks for us to survive the night. Even the staff in the reception was friendly and helpful. The breakfast not so exciting.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I had a nice three day stay in this historical building, right in the historical centre of the city. It has all the grandeur one could expect from such an old palace. The terrace overlooking the city is wonderful.
The room I stayed in (neoclassical) was comfortable and had all the amenities a modern hotel would expect. It was not bigger than the cheaper classical rooms which have the same size, so maybe no need to pay the difference.
The only drawbacks were the internet that was not working at all and the staff who could smile a little more.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Location in heart of centro storico is good. Hotel has great old bones and renovated rooms in good condition (there was construction noise during the day). If you want a renovated room, I believe you should ask for a "new" room; ""classic" rooms are the unrenovated ones.

But I would not stay there again, and would recommend only for first-time visitors who want to be in heart of old city. Hotel is part of Angala chain and books many tour groups; service, especially front desk service, can be indifferent the way it often is at such hotels. Actually, in this case I might go so far as to call it arrogantly indifferent.

Alleged free lobby wI-fi didn't work the entire time I was there (3 nights) and hotel didn't seem to be able to get a grip on this problem.

I liked Palermo and if I were to go there again I would instead stay perhaps around the opera house, via della Liberta, or in Kalsa.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
san diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

It was really hard to pick a hotel in Palermo, since many had mixed reviews. This hotel was centrally located righ by the Quattro Conti, markets and fountain.

When I arrived, I was supried to see that my significantly ugraded room was a little shabby, especially in the bathroom. The towels were ragged and there was mold in the adequate, but not luxurious shower. Understandably, Palermo is not the jewel of Sicily, but I did expect better.

My biggest gripe, however was the attitude at the front desk. I asked fthe clerk to make a reservation at a Michelin starred restaurant nearby and the clerk outright refused. He said, "I don't know the restaurants on your list and the hotel has a good restaurant." He then walked away. I was so shocked. I went to my room before returning to the front desk and insisting the restaurant I wanted to visit was called. Unbelievable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Centrale Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!