“Former palace” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Centrale Palace Hotel

You added Centrale Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Centrale Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corso Vittorio Emanuele 327, 90134 Palermo, Sicily, Italy   |
Ranked #30 of 99 Hotels in Palermo
California
“Former palace”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We loved this hotel. It's a former princes' palace that was re-furbished and turned into a hotel in the early 2000s. It's true, the standard rooms are a bit spartan, but we were out most of the day anyway and stayed here a week. The public rooms are quite grand and most of their guests seem to be Italian and some tour groups. The breakfast buffet was sumptuous, so much to choose from. You can make your own cannolo. Smoked salmon. Very strong coffee which I mixed with hot water. It's in the old part of the city which is quite beautiful but a bit faded. Sicily is one of the poorest regions of Europe, so there are still some WWII bombed out buildings that they can't afford to replace. Palermo is authentic and unpretentious. In most hotels we stayed in in Sicily (3), Wifi was "challenged." I would stay in this hotel again because it genuinely felt like Italy. If you want something upscale with all the American amenities, go stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband I stayed at this hotel for one night in September. The photos in the brochures and online make the hotel look in better shape than it is. I have to agree with the other travelers that call it rundown and faded. Palermo's historic district also seemed run down and poorly taken care of. A shame when you consider this is their heritage. Many buildings on the same street were shuttered and covered with graffiiti. It seemed like this area had seen far better days. When we arrived at the hotel, there was no doorman or anyone to help us with our luggage. We didn't make a fuss, we just carried our own bags and made our way to our room. After just now reading a few more recent reviews than were available before we booked, I guess there are renovated rooms and older rooms. We clearly got an older room. Since it was just one night, we didn't ask if there was anything better. We were supposedly in a junior suite. While it did have a small room in addition to the bedroom and bathroom, all three rooms were showing their age and very starkly decorated - very depressing. I also have to concur with others who had trouble with wifi in the lobby. It only worked for a short time while we were there. The front desk did attempt to get it back online but unsuccessfully. Breakfast was equally depressing. There were not enough servers, a huge hole in the ceiling of the breakfast room and one of the worst cups of coffee I've ever had. We chose this hotel because it was in the heart of the historic center of Palermo. For those considering visiting the historic center, I'd suggest trying to find a hotel near the new areas of the city - maybe near the theater or Palantine Chapel which was very beautiful (like a mini-Monreal).

Room Tip: Don't make our mistake, ask for a renovated room. But, better yet, find a better hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mariehamn, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed in the hotel only for one night, but as we experienced the room was comfortable, nice and clean, the bed was really big-size. We came to the hotel very late and had to have something to eat. The restaurant was closed and so was the restaurants nearby but a very friendly man in the bar made us some snacks for us to survive the night. Even the staff in the reception was friendly and helpful. The breakfast not so exciting.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I had a nice three day stay in this historical building, right in the historical centre of the city. It has all the grandeur one could expect from such an old palace. The terrace overlooking the city is wonderful.
The room I stayed in (neoclassical) was comfortable and had all the amenities a modern hotel would expect. It was not bigger than the cheaper classical rooms which have the same size, so maybe no need to pay the difference.
The only drawbacks were the internet that was not working at all and the staff who could smile a little more.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Location in heart of centro storico is good. Hotel has great old bones and renovated rooms in good condition (there was construction noise during the day). If you want a renovated room, I believe you should ask for a "new" room; ""classic" rooms are the unrenovated ones.

But I would not stay there again, and would recommend only for first-time visitors who want to be in heart of old city. Hotel is part of Angala chain and books many tour groups; service, especially front desk service, can be indifferent the way it often is at such hotels. Actually, in this case I might go so far as to call it arrogantly indifferent.

Alleged free lobby wI-fi didn't work the entire time I was there (3 nights) and hotel didn't seem to be able to get a grip on this problem.

I liked Palermo and if I were to go there again I would instead stay perhaps around the opera house, via della Liberta, or in Kalsa.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
san diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

It was really hard to pick a hotel in Palermo, since many had mixed reviews. This hotel was centrally located righ by the Quattro Conti, markets and fountain.

When I arrived, I was supried to see that my significantly ugraded room was a little shabby, especially in the bathroom. The towels were ragged and there was mold in the adequate, but not luxurious shower. Understandably, Palermo is not the jewel of Sicily, but I did expect better.

My biggest gripe, however was the attitude at the front desk. I asked fthe clerk to make a reservation at a Michelin starred restaurant nearby and the clerk outright refused. He said, "I don't know the restaurants on your list and the hotel has a good restaurant." He then walked away. I was so shocked. I went to my room before returning to the front desk and insisting the restaurant I wanted to visit was called. Unbelievable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Our experience at this hotel for two nights was neither outstanding nor abysmal. We were satisfied with the value. We would not agree with other travelers that the hotel is impressive or stylish; this may have been the case a century ago, but today it is simply a slightly worn, reasonably-priced hotel in the middle of town. Our room, which faced a central courtyard, was quiet, clean, and comfortable; other travelers have complained of noise so perhaps a courtyard-facing room is the answer. We enjoyed breakfast, which was an extensive buffet in a room that spoke of the **faded** glory of this once-impressive palace. Other travelers have objected to the coffee, but we liked it (we like our coffee strong). We used the coffee machines at the buffet to make a good espresso, but we could have made Americano. The buffet offered plenty of variety to fuel us until dinnertime. We were within a comfortable walk of downtown sites, and also to nearby restaurants at night. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful to us. Although not "on the spot" by big-city standards, they were rather laid back and accommodating. It may have helped that some of our party spoke fluent Italian, and the rest made up for their rudimentary Italian with much enthusiasm.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Centrale Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!