“Wheelchair user review” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Triumph of Death fresco

Triumph of Death fresco
Regional Art Gallery | Via Alloro 4, Palermo, Sicily, Italy (Tribunali)
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 155 attractions in Palermo
Type: Landmarks/ Points of Interest
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Located in Palermo's Regional Art Gallery, the well-known "Triumph of Death" fresco dates from the fifteenth century, but the artist is unknown.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Wheelchair user review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

I tried my best italian to see how much it would cost to go in (€8) after much confusion the rotund older gentleman gave a speil which included the price. (I couldn't see it written anywhere) The staff were extremely helpful once they realised I was with my partner who is a wheelchair user. A lady pointed him out (as he was waiting outside of the office, because he couldn't get in) the man then gave me two tickets and said 'free' we were amazed!

As it was quiet the lady escorted us around the ground floor. You have to cross a cobbled courtyard which might be tricky for independent chair users.
We then had to negotiate narrow glass doorways and deep (single) steps through the different sections. (3sections i think) My partners chair is an 18in seat in width.

Once the ground floor was done the rest if it was easy as it had a glass lift that took us to the remaining 2 floors all smooth wooden flooring. (power chairs will fit in the lift)

Although not especially religious minded, we found the artwork and statues amazing. it's very well spaced out.

I would check the opening times. There is also a disabled loo on the ground floor but we didn't use it so can't comment.

Worth a visit (especially if they let you in gratis! Oh and infirmiera is Italian for nurse ;)

Oakland, California, United States
23 attraction reviews
“Triumph of Death is a Triumph”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This one fresco was the main reason I went to visit this museum and it alone was well worth the visit. Picasso's Guernica has nothing on this amazing scene from 1446.

There was a good selection of sacred art. All was nicely presented - not cluttered - so it was pleasant to view the various objects.

Sadly there were no postcards or books available at the museum. One might hope in the future that arts administrators in Palermo would be able to offer more interpretive materials like books. You're also not allowed to take photos.

Visited October 2012
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Rip Off! Beware!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

There is no denying this is an awesome piece of work ! We did however have a terrible experience at this gallery today. The man selling the tickets did the old ' I'll give you this euro note if you give me that etc that resulted in him short changing us by 10 euros . Despite us kicking up a huge fuss it was our word against his . I expect this from taxi drivers and streethawkers but from an official in an establishment like this it's a disgrace ! Totally spoilt our visit.

Toronto, Canada
7 attraction reviews
“dull and rushed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Palermo is only half open with many areas of imporatant attractions closed. please check before going. for example when is the Museum going to reopen??

Visited July 2012
New York City, New York
9 attraction reviews
“Palazzo Abatellis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Triumph of Death Fresco is at least 2 stories high and very imposing. Also of note is the painting by di Messina of the Annunciation. The palazzo itself is a lovely environment with a most helpful staff.

Visited June 2012