“Lunch with the Locals” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Lunch with the Locals”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

If you are in the vicinity we recommend this trattoria for lunch. Like many othe restaurants they have an outdoor charcoal grill for fish and meat. We had a simple pasta with sardines which was filling and delicious, and cost 5 euros. The house white wine was very drinkable and cost 3 euros for 1/2 litre and the cover charge of 1 euro included a generous basket of crunchy fresh bread.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
“Ok for quick family meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

This place was ok for a quick family meal while we were recovering from jet lag. Nothing really special though. The mussels were tasteless and the kids pasta sauce was a little bland. Service ok.

Visited March 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
“Great grilled fish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

It was fun eating along the footpath with lots of happy customers. The staff were friendly and helpful. Traffic continued to flow through the street - buses, cars, motorbikes and rose salesmen but fish continued to be grilled and wine poured.

Visited September 2013
Balmain, Australia
“Side Street Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stumbled onto this place in the back Streets with my wife while we were site seeing at the church on the same Street.
It was a very unassuming place with seating outside and we noticed local men sitting inside drinking and having a good time.
We had the 20 euro menu which was really great! as others have said there is a lot of food! the starter alone would of been enough for us, it was really simple good food. All of the staff were very friendly and always smiling.
It is a great place to sit down and watch the daily life of the locals while enjoying a great meal and cold beer!
We will be back!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“trick with 4.5 points advertisement at tripadvisor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I ordered dish A. spaghetti quattro formaggi (especially made for me) my wife dish B. spaghetti di nero sepia. I asked for a large portion-which was 7€ instead of 5€ for normal size. We ordered for take away.

Dish A:
1. Size: same container size and portion like from my wife - so I just got normal size - cheating.
2. Content: Spaghetti were hard - not "all dente" There was no cheese sauce instead a solid chunk of cheese melted together with spaghetti in a "greasy sauce" produced by melted cheese.
3. Taste: cheese had some intense taste (could have worked in a cream sauce) however since it was pretty much half cooked pasta with half melted cheese taste is not really judgeable.
4. Service: staff was waiting outside tried to get guests and promised everything you asked for. Preparation didn't take long but worst thing-when I left my wife alone for waiting for the dishes to take away the guy who told me 7€ for my dish asked my wife for 10€ (double normal price) when she wanted to pay (since I asked for a large portion...) - again cheating!
At that point it would have been wise to leave this spot without further expectation or hope for decent food!
5. Price: 7€ for a normal portion would have been still ok for just "ok" food...
6. Amount: sufficient
7. Location: tables are directly along road, interior I didn't check.

Dish B:
1. appearance: spaghetti were colored with sepia ink - no black spaghetti -maybe misunderstanding...still desolate appearance...
2. Content: 3-4 thin slices of sepia, black ink for coloring spaghetti, some few thick slices of garlic - cheap impression. Spaghetti normal and cooked enough.
3. Taste: not enjoyable, pretty "plane" and "boring".
4. Price: 10€ for provided meal far to expensive - very little amount of sepia and black colored spaghetti cannot justify this price.
5. amount: sufficient

Overall impression:
Also we are sadly disappointed-like already mentioned by another rating end of last year. Unfortunately we didn't see this rating before.
Advertising tripadvisor rating (4.5 points) for attracting tourists and providing the above mentioned product and service is obviously cheating - unless we just were very unlucky this day....Maybe the fish they grill along the road would have been a better choice...we definitely will never go there again!

• Visited August 2013