“Lipstick on a Pig” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Quintocanto Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added Quintocanto Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Quintocanto Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corso Vittorio Emanuele 310, 90134 Palermo, Sicily, Italy (Palazzo Reale)   |
Ranked #29 of 98 Hotels in Palermo
San Mateo
“Lipstick on a Pig”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

This property bills itself as a spa. Although the decor is beautiful in the lobby and rooms, this property falls short. Upon our arrival we were informed that the elevator was undergoing a repair and would be available in five minutes. A porter carried our baggage up one floor, this area is obviously shared with another hotel and is in a state of disrepair. Our key was used to open a set of glass doors and we boarded another elevator. After the elevator we took a set of small steps to our door. Upon opening the door we were greeted with another set of steps to a large room. This would be our entrance and exit procedure for the rest of our stay. Our daughter stayed a floor below us which was the temperature of a sauna. When going from the lobby to the first elevator one has to be careful as the floor is very pitted and we tripped more than once. The "Spa" portion included pool and sauna, once you purchase 15 Euro spa shoes and wear a "costume"....robe...no.......swimsuit......no, we never figured out what the "costume" was, we decided not to buy the spa shoes or use the spa. Don't ask more than three questions at the front desk or the staff gets terse. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Redditch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Location within easy walking distance to main sights. Ten minutes to bus and train station. Few minutes to cathedral etc. Palermo is lovely but isn't the cleanest looking city. After a busy day the hotel offered peace and calm. All the staff were helpful and polite and everywhere was spotless. We had a small double room which was adequate,but we could hear horns beeping even with windows shut,but that's not the hotels fault. Didn't use the spa but it looked very nice. We stayed for 8 nightts

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Quintocanto (3/20-3/23) and were very happy with our choice. The hotel itself is beautiful and rich with the charm and character of the area. Our room was adequately sized, with a gorgeous panoramic view of the San Giuseppe dei Teatini church next door. It also had a balcony where we enjoyed our morning coffee while listening to the church bells ring. The hotel staff were attentive and helpful, although they didn't appear to be very enthusiastic. We sensed a bit of indifference from them, unlike the overt friendliness we've experienced in other parts of Italy. Still, they were nice enough and addressed our questions and requests promptly. Our room included one free hour in the spa (simply access to the pool and sauna/steam room) and breakfast. The hotel restaurant -Officina del Gusto - was superb! Our server and the chef were very attentive and sincerely concerned with our happiness. I'd highly recommend it whether you stay in the hotel or not.

The hotel's location is prime. We were able to walk to several attractions and also to the train/bus station, where we caught a train to Agrigento to see the Valley of the Temples one day, and then the bus to Siracusa on another. The taxi ride from Palermo airport to the hotel, however, was overpriced. We were quoted a price of 50 euros before we left the airport, but then the driver asked for 75 when we arrived at the hotel, about 30 minutes later. Based on what we paid for an hour long taxi ride in Siracusa later in our trip, we know that this was grossly overpriced. The hotel should provide shuttle service, or at least work with taxi drivers so that their guests are not ripped off this way.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a terrace/balcony and view. There is no fitness center. Ask for a shuttle from t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Groningen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Nice hotel, and modern bedrooms, very well located in the city centre. Also nice breakfast and atmosphere! The spa is nothing special, and the pool may need some renovation. Very precious parking available. Overall, a good hotel to stay in Palermo!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

The combination of different hotels being in the same building did confuse us the first hours. :-). But, when looking around, learned where our stay should be, it went okey thereafter. Superb service from all staff, romantic breakfasts in the unic outdoor/indoor invironment. A small, but cozy room with an extraordinary comfortable showerroom. The interior in the room was supplied with interesting wooden planks hanging on the walls, showing materials from the very beginning. It also gave a high feeling of intimacy.
The art in common rooms gave so hight feeling of comfort, so we often decided to sit down in these areas just talking. GREAT. The Ceaning Staff were in the upper class of being professonals. And..... so kind all the time. Also checked that my wife had recovered from a little headache one day. Thank you superb Cleaning Staff!
The hotel was choosen because we wanted a romantic old city hotel. We sign the confirmation of that it is.
Also, outside, in the narrow streets, or in the heavy traffic streets, we felt SO COMFORTABLE AND SECURE. Thank you Palermo and QIUNTOCANTO HOTEL.

Hotellet ble booket pga. sentrumsbeliggenhet og dette gjorde besøket meget hyggelig.Vi setter stor pris på omgang blant lokalebefolkning når vi beveger oss rundt om i verden.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with place enough to sit for two... if you are.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
quintocanto, Direttore vendite at Quintocanto Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Guests,
thank you very much for your comment. It's our pleasure to know that all our efforts permit you a pleasant stay at our hotel and in Palermo.
All Quintocanto staff would like to thank you for all your compliments. It's nice to read that you appreciate the particular characteristic of 1500 sicilian buildings. It looks like you are going out from a building to go in another, instead you are always in the same palace and you can enjoy it and its feature.
Looking forward to seeing you in Palermo next time.

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Based on the many positive reviews in Trip Advisor, plus a rave in Frommers, we opted to stay for six nights at the Quintocanto.

First, the positives: Our room (a double deluxe, room 420) was a very nice size with a comfortable bed, nice though not deluxe linens, and a good-sized bathroom, with large tub, bidet, etc.

We loved the location. I can understand why one might think the neighborhood isn't safe -- it is a somewhat rough city, and this is the very heart of it. But we were never worried. Yes, the area around the Vucciria Market is a bit funky, but we ended up having dinner in that area on several occasions. I guess it helps to be New Yorkers - we're pretty street smart -- but we loved the neighborhood, its proximity to the markets and the historic sites, most of which we could walk to easily.

Despite the lively neighborhood, the room was very quiet.

We also thought the housekeeping staff was very good and skilled at figuring out when to unobtrusively come into the room to clean.

We were very grateful that on one occasion, some Palmeritano friends visited us for coffee, and as breakfast was still being served, the waiters in the dining room kindly allowed my friends to have coffee, free of charge.

Now the negatives. Our room was on the top floor. We expected a terrace with a view, and instead, there was a box-like shape with one plastic chair, and a view of absolutely nothing. Except a window into our room. The room would be impossible for anyone with any difficulty walking or climbing stairs, and absolutely treacherous for young children. Let me see if I can explain how one gets to the room: You cross the courtyard and take an elevator to the first floor. Using your key card, you enter another area (actually another building - the hotel is two joined buildings), take a serpentine route down a corridor, then climb some stairs to another elevator. Then the elevator went to the fourth floor, whereupon we used the key card to enter our room. However, getting to the room involved climbing a short, dimly lighted, slippery marble staircase. A child looking for the bathroom during the night could crack his skull. So could an adult.

We asked if we could have a second key card, since clearly it is impossible to get anywhere near our room without one. We were told it was impossible. Try tomorrow. This was repeated for the entire time we were there. We never got the second key card. The reason this was a serious problem is that one must keep the key installed inside the room in order for the lights to stay on. So in other words, when my husband stayed in during the afternoon to rest, he had to keep the key so that he could see. I had no key. When I returned, I tried to call him to get him to take two elevators, walk down several flights of steps and meet me to let me in. However, our phone mysteriously didn't work. So I had to wait at the desk for the woman to summon one of her "colleagues" to walk me up to the room, which took a good ten minutes. This happened several times, and it was extremely frustrating. We were never given a reason why an extra key wasn't available.

The hotel, I believe, advertises a mini bar in the room, but it was just a refrigerator with only water in it. Maybe that is the norm in Palermo but we thought it would be stocked. In any case, our attempts to get drinks at the bar connected to Gusto, the restaurant downstairs, were laughable. We were able to sit in the pleasant courtyard one night while my husband had a scotch. However, the next night, earlier in the evening, we tried to do the same thing but the waitress said they had no scotch. She also said we couldn't charge our drinks to the room. Another waiter appeared later and we asked if they'd gotten more scotch, and he was puzzled. He said they always have it
and that we could of course charge our drinks to the room, as we had done last night.

The staff seemed nice enough, and for the most part seemed to want to be of service, but seemed unable to do so for mysterious reasons. However, there was nothing particularly professional about them... on more than one occasion, I stood by the desk in order to ask about an airport transfer or restaurant, while the hotel person carried on a long and emotional phone call. This hotel was not cheap. For the money, I expected more professional service, and a greater effort expended to make sure the guests were comfortable. I don't really blame the young staff (although they really should make an effort at least to look up from their work and greet guests when they walk by the desk... ). I suspect the owners or management need to get their act together.

Room Tip: The double deluxe rooms are very roomy. But if you have any issues with walking, you might want to g...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
quintocanto, Direttore vendite at Quintocanto Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Guestm
thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment, it is very important for us to improve our service.
As we can read, you appreciate a lot the position of our hotel, in the heart of the city near all cultural heritages of different centuries.
Like many palaces around us, also Palazzo Viola, in which the hotel is, is an historical building of 1500. The typical architecture of that period has its own main characteristic in a central courtyard where now you found our restaurant and our club house.
It is not possible to have a lift inside, that's why you found one in the courtyard to arrive to the entrance of the rooms area. I am sorry if any people of my staff explained you about our historical features. Because of them of course rooms have different size and shape.
Your room is on the top floor and seems to be a tower on the top of the hotel, tha's why there are stairs in it and a very small terrace, that we are trying to arrange with proper furnitures and plants. It's not a room for families, we know it could be dangerous for kids.
I don't remember if it was exactly during your stay or some days before, but in Palermo, during that period, there was a bad storm and lightning activity damaged lots of our electronic devices, one of which was our key controller. Thant's the reason why we couldn't do any extra key for rooms, we couldn't copy them.
Thanks to your comment I know however that I have to improve communication in my hotel.
I am sorry if minibar was not furnished, I have already asked to my houskeeping to put more attention in it.
Thank you again sir for you comment, I am really sorry if any of us asked you before, but now I know the weak side of my staff and I can work with them to change it.

Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Worst hotel experience in 50 years! Hotel reservation confirmed in May 2013 for a visit of two nights in October 2013. I will try to list the lies in the order I perceived them.
1.upon arrival at the hotel, front desk told me that because they had had a power failure on one floor 3 days ago, there was no room for us, but that they had arranged another **** star room across the street. If that was it....no problem 'cause issues happen, right. But I had spoken to the hotel an hour before check in to confirm directions to the hotel and nothing was said. Also the front desk said they had tried to call to inform me, but i had received no such call nor an email.
2.the same desk person said that the rate was the same across the street.
3.when I checked out of the "walk" hotel two days later, I asked what the rate was and they said it had been taken care of by the travel agency which was news to me.
4.upon returning home and checking my visa account I noted that in fact quintocanto had charged me for the stay even though i had stayed across the street. IMPLICATION......the rate they paid for me across the street was lower, but quintocanto kept "the change"
5.Because I had picked out quintocanto from trip advisor reports I thought I should at least try their breakfast so I asked that they permit that even though of course I was not actually staying there.......after 15 minutes of discussion by the desk clerk with i dont know how many managers, they agreed ok one breakfast but not two! Oh by the way in 19 days in italy south quintocanto has the distinction of the WORST breakfast in all 19 days.

Of course i cannot comment on the physical aspects of quintocanto but my experience with the staff indicates that though friendly enough management above them must be really awful because the staff seems to have no decision making authority resulting in an obviously terrible experience.

Room Tip: start with another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
quintocanto, Direttore vendite at Quintocanto Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your comment it is very important for us to improve our service.
I am very sorry if any communication reached you about the problem we had, it is our aim to improve our guest relation management and the lack occurred to you show how urgent is for us to do it.
We arrange for you however a good accomodation taking care about hotel classification and location, and further more let you use our SPA service as you were one of the guests settled in our rooms.
Maybe the person that talked to you at reception didn't know about the agreement that occur between our management and their, if a situation like yours happens usually we spend more than what we've agreed with the guest to ensure the best accomodation.
I'm sorry about the breakfast, it is a problem that we are facing everyday asking to our guests to leave us some suggestion about. Please feel free to send us yours, it is very important for us.
Thank you very much for the time you spend to write this comment

Sales Manager

Been to Quintocanto Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!