“autentic sicilian food, friendly atmosphere, good value for money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Trattoria Tipica Altri Tempi

Trattoria Tipica Altri Tempi
Via Sammartino 65, Palermo, Sicily, Italy (Politeama)
091-323480
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Politeama
altrincham
“autentic sicilian food, friendly atmosphere, good value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

this is an authentic sicilian restaurant, the patrons are local people so that the dishes are prepared according to traditional recipes. Friendly service, very good value for money.

• Visited February 2012

Bracknell, United Kingdom
“Don't eat for a week before coming here!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

We were recommended this restaurant by the owner of the hotel we were staying in. We were staying near the Teatro Massimo and it was only a 10 min stroll from there in a quiet neighbourhood.

I had difficulty understanding all of the menu as it was written in "dialetto Siciliano", (fortunately I could understand most of it as my mother is Sicilan) so we placed our trust in the waiters. I was expecting just one antipasto each, however what was presented to us was one of each antipasto on the list - none of which were small portions! Amongst them was a dish of pannelle and courgette flowers in batter which were delicious, roasted aubergines, a kind of stew with chunks of beef and tripe (I coudn't bring myself to eat the tripe!) So were already feeling quite full and then the "primo piatto", the pasta dish arrived. I had the pasta with sardines and my friend had the pasta with tomato sauce and aubergines. Both were delicious but the portions were huge! We tried our very best but we couldn't manage to clear our plates - this is most unusual for me!
We suspected that the pasta portions were quite generous so hadn't ordered the "Secondo Piatto" and instead went straight to the fruit - melon, prickly pear and a some sicilian pastries, these were also served with 3 bottles of homemade liqueurs - limoncello, finocchio (aniseed liqueur) and a herby one - which we could just help ourselves to.
All this, including bread, a litre of white wine and bottle of mineral water came to just €20 each which I thought was excellent value.
My only criticism was that service was too quick, no sooner had we finished a course then the next course was served - we really could have done with at least a 15 min breather in between.
I would definitely return here, but next time I'd make sure that I'm close to passing out with hunger beforehand!

• Visited September 2011
sydney australia
“I want to eat here again! Voglio mangiare qui ancora!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

I ate at Altri Tempi in June 2010 and look forward to eating there again when I next visit Palermo.

The management of my hotel recommended Altri Tempi because I requested a restaurant that served good and authentic Sicilian food. I was not disappointed. I ordered the (menu digustazione) set menu that featured a sampling of all the clasic dishes (Euro 25) which wasn't cheap; however, the variety, the quanity and authenticity of the food was 'spot on'.

I dined alone and made such a pig of myself eating far tooooooo much antipasti (there had to be 8-10 different selections delivered to my table) that I found the pasta course (primi) a mega-challenge (pasta alla Norma and and the traditional pasta with sardines) and had to refuse to eat the main courses!! I can't remember what that would have been. I finished up with some of the sweets (canoli, watermellon, small cakes, ...) and a small sample of the local after dinner alcoholic drinks. The bread, wine and water was included. My bill was reduced to Euro 20 as I didn't eat the main course selections. The service was good and as I speak Italian reasonably I was able to communicate. I don't know if the staff speak other languages.

I was able to walk there from my hotel; however, the location though in a good neighbourhood, in my opinion is a little out of the way BUT worth the effort.

I hope to go back to Palermo in 2012 and plan to make a return visit.

Marrickvillellinda from Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Visited June 2010
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bangkok
“Be ready to eat the best....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

The best food tradition for this part of Sicily just followed the suggestion from the waiters......

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Maastricht, the Netherlands
“a classic, a bargain, average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

This classic place, frequented by all types of locals, serves you a tasty meal, though lacks delicate tastes. The menu always inlcudes wine, water, bread. I had a hering salad (with chuncks of lemon) and 'meatballs' of sardines. Two regional classics.

• 3 of 5 stars Food