“Highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars
Review of B&B Amelie

You added B&B Amelie to your Saves list
B&B Amelie
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Via Principe di Belmonte, 94, Palermo, Sicily, Italy   |
Ranked #37 of 346 Palermo B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Lovely central location. The breakfast was delicious and the girl was very friendly and helpful regarding local restaurants and site seeing.

The room was basic but ideal for a one night stay. It was a good size and the bed was very comforyable.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Wisconsin, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My mother, aunt, cousin, and I all stayed at Amelie's for 4 days in late May 2012 (I'm a little late in writing this). Since it was our first trip to Sicily, Angela was in contact with me and answered numerous questions and emails about transportation and location before we even left. When we arrived, we followed Angela's directions about transportation on the bus, which saved us a ton of money versus taking a personal transport.

The rooms are open with high ceilings, windows, beautiful colors, a nice bathroom, and everything was incredibly spotless... again, it is not like this in all B&B's. My aunt and cousin had a room with a terrace which they loved. I saw a review on the beds not being comfortable. We staying in the Orange room also, but my mother and I did not think the bed was uncomfortable at all. Again, maybe we are a bit more seasoned travelers so we have felt truly uncomfortable beds and these definitely do not qualify as uncomfortable in our book. The B&B is quiet at night and we had no problems sleeping here.

At night, the halls outside of the B&B are dark, but we just turned on our cell phones to light the way and we could see just fine to open the door. We always felt safe in the area and in the building. Even the gentleman who works on the ground floor was very kind to us.

The pedestrian street which Amelie is located on is wonderful with a cafe that has indoor and outdoor seating and sometimes even has a piano playing.

Lastly for Angela (I saved the best for last). It is true, Angela is the reason we all love Amelie. Not only does she bend over backward to make sure you are pleased with your stay, but she truly opens her home to you. When you leave, she is scrubbing and cleaning and washing windows so your room is sparkling and perfect when you get back. She makes fresh pastries and baked goods in the morning for breakfast which are always excellent. And my favorite part - the homemade cappuccino.... let me tell you... even Rome couldn't hold a candle to Angela's cappuccino ( Yum...) and the heart in the center of mine summed up the entire experience - Love - Angela puts Love into everything she does which is why this place is the best B&B Palermo has to offer. (Oh, and be sure to ask her for her suggestions on restaurants - all of her suggestions were wonderful.) Angela's English is better than some Americans - so communication was never a problem.

You can read the reviews that are less than 5 stars, but from our experience, if they are less than 5 stars, then the reviewers have not traveled in Europe enough. This IS a 5-star bed and breakfast for the price. If you want every bell and whistle, then it is probably best for you to find a hotel, but you will pay double the price. The purpose for staying at a B&B is to experience the culture and personality of your location... and with B&B Amelie and Angela you get to experience true Sicilian hospitality and accommodations... and you may even walk away feeling as if you are leaving a new home and family in Sicily (which is exactly how we felt). We stayed at 3 bed and breakfast places while in Sicily, including one in Palermo because B&B Amelie was booked- Palermo Art Lincoln - which I do not recommend due to location and the dark, dismal, windowless room we stayed in. B&B Amelie was definitely the best overall. Short of booking your reservation for you, this is the best I can do to convince you how much we enjoyed our stay here. If you go to Palermo, don't miss out on this "home away from home."

- Cassandra (from USA)

Room Tip: Any room is nice, but if you get a room with a terrace, you can sit outside and watch Sicilian life...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
freundina, Proprietario at B&B Amelie, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Ciao Cassandra!
Your review is a great publicity and promotion technique for my business! You are the best sponsorships I have ever imagined! I should pay you for writing this to some travel magazines!!
Thank you for staying with me, I am very happy to read you enjoyed your stay here!
Take care and say hello and thank you to Kathleen, Marleen and Ada too.
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have agonized over writing this review. While we loved Angela, we were not happy with the B&B. I, too, keep reading the 5 star reviews and believe they are written about Angela and not about Amelie. Amelie is clean and the Orange room was spacious and the private bathroom was what we booked. But as others have pointed out...the bed was terribly uncomfortable and the bedding and towels were scratchy. I could have lived with that, but I was very uncomfortable coming back to the B&B in the dark. When the elevator opens at night, there are no lights. Not one motion detector light so that unlocking the doors in the dark was nearly impossible. Angela does not keep a light on in the living room either, so walking through the apartment in the dark was also uncomfortable. Our room was at the very end of a long hallway and the motion lights did not kick on until you were nearly at the door.

I believe that with just a few changes this B&B would be a 5 star accommodation, but it is not there yet. Sorry, Angela.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have their own bath, but not all have the bath in the room. Make certain you ask f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I have agonized over replying this review but, just some moments ago, a woman interested in booking at my b&b wrote to me an e-mail where she asked me about the darkness she had read in your review. She is a little bit worried about that.
So I take this space to reply to this lady and to all the future guests.
It is true, I turn off the light when I go to bed, like maybe you do at your own home!
But turn on and turn off the lights (once you come out from the lift and once you enter at home) is permitted any time you want! So, please use the light at your pleasure: the price of the energy is included in the price!
Thank you very much!
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I spent some days at Amelie's in the first days of October 2012 and I can warmly recommend this B&B to all those who love to feel a human touch when travelling.
The apartment is in the pedestrian area of the city, so you can easily reach the main attractions and find bus stops at few meters.
The best are the breakfasts, Mrs Angela, a young nice lady, bakes cakes and gives guests the opportunity to taste jams home made from Sicilian fruits.
All sit at the same table in the kitchen, which creates nice international exchange moments where people can share tips, impressions, emotions on the days they are spending in Palermo and surrounding.
I'd definitely contact it again in case of a new trip there :-)

Room Tip: Possibly with bathroom in the room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
freundina, Proprietario at B&B Amelie, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Since you wrote that if you came back to Palermo you want to stay again with me I want to answer that it will be a pleasure to host you again and, of course, "special price" for the guests who come back to visit me and my beautiful city!
Thanks for your lovely review.
Take care,
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Angela,our host,was so helpful and made our stay in Palermo so much better. The room was great and the breakfasts ample but it was her tips,from restaurants to travel out to the airport, that made the visit work.. Great central location on an area pedonale,which made it a little hard to find because we were driving,but worth it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
freundina, Proprietario at B&B Amelie, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
What a pleasure to find your review!
Thanks a lot and hope to see you again in Italy or... in Canada!
Take care!
Greetings from a still sunny Palermo
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

my wife and i visited here in november and couldn't have enjoyed our stay more. the b&b is only a few minutes' walk from the port (where we arrived) and even closer to the politeama stop for the airport shuttle (which we took for our departure). the room was a great value, clean and quiet, in a centrally located palazzo on a pedestrian street in the nicest part of town-- also upstairs from the delicious bar and bakery spinnato, which is a special bonus! breakfast was tasty and thoughtfully prepared by angela -- for us it included biscuits in honor of the saint's day earlier that week.

and last but not least, speaking of our hostess, she was so kind and helpful! she speaks fantastic english but is also willing to indulge if you need to practice your italian while you stay :) coincidentally we passed her on a walk in the city soon after checking in, and she enthusiastically flagged us down to see how our day was going and if we needed anything.

in summary i think if you want to feel like you're experiencing palermo as people who live there experience it, amelie is a b&b that fits the bill perfectly-- and for a very reasonable price. our trip was a ton of fun and i'm sure when we return to the city we'll be staying there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
freundina, Proprietario at B&B Amelie, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dears Andrew and Shannon,
I am so happy to read this review. This is why I never close my b&b: also a very quite month like November deserves a beautiful surprise like... meeting you both.
I am happy beacuse you both love Italy and you were excited to be in my city and this make my job very easy because I could see in your eyes the happiness of being in Palermo.
I am also glad to know that I had an important part to make your holiday unforgettable. I was really lucky to have you as my guests; you are a beautiful couple and I hope to meet you again!
My home is now also your home. Orange room waits for you again!
Thanks again,
Golden, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed at B&B Amelie based upon the rave reviews in Tripadvisor. Frankly, we don't understand the raves.

Amelie IS in a great location, convenient to the tourist sites and the airport bus stop. It IS on a pedestrian street, and very quiet for Palermo. And Angela IS a fine host, offering advice on restaurants and attractions.

BUT, Amelie is on the 6th floor of an ugly concrete highrise, accessible by two tiny lifts that require manual closing of both inner and outer doors. It's tough to do with luggage, and failing to close both doors upon exiting stops the lift from working, incurring the wrath of other occupants of the building.

Look at the photos of the rooms, and notice how stark they are. A few travel posters or other artwork on the walls would make the rooms much more welcoming. The beds are the hardest we encountered in Italy. And finally we consider the offered breakfast to be minimal. Toast, yogurt, coffee and one shortbread, sitting at a table in the kitchen, were about it.

All in all, there's nothing wrong with B&B Amelie, but it our opinion, it doesn't deserve the 5-star reviews found in Tripadvisor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
freundina, Proprietario at B&B Amelie, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Ciao Evanescent!
Thanks for your review!
Many many b&b in Palermo are inside buldings since, how you sure saw while strolling around the city, Palermo is made of buildings. It is there where we live and so it is there where we open our doors to the guests! Unfortuntely we do not have nice houses with some garden outside! In Mondello the b&b are like that, because in that part of the city there are many villas.
Really, it is not to "protect" my b&b from the criticism but it is to explain that in Palermo is normal to find the b&b in the buildings with lift! That's also the charming of Palermo!

Then I will answer to you about the beds. You wrote that they are hard. This is why there are completly new! Some weeks ago I received a review where there was written that it was the time to me to change beds, pillows and towels and I apprecieted the suggestion and I bought everything new!
So, this is only to say that beds and pillows are very personal. Someone told me to change them since became soft and now for you are hard!
The world is beautiful beacuse is various!!
Thanks again!
Best Regards,
angela

Been to B&B Amelie? Share your experiences!