“A Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Liberty Hotel

You added Liberty Hotel to your Saves list
Liberty Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via San Vito, 40, 95124 Catania, Sicily, Italy (Centro Catania)   |
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Catania
London, UK
“A Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Excellent service from the staff who helped me plan my trips every day. Delightful Liberty décor throughout. Don't be put off by the squalid street in which the hotel is located (most streets in Catania are squalid, but you get used to it!). It's about 10 minutes' walk to the centre and there are some great restaurants (recommended by the hotel staff). If I go to Catania again, there's no doubt about where I would stay - I'll be at liberty at The Liberty.
I went on bus trips to Taormina to the north and Siracusa to the south. Have a drink at one of the cafés opposite the cathedral in Siracusa (Ortigia) - I paid €4 for a large beer and got mini pizzas and ham rolls free with it - excellent value. I also paid €10 for a small beer(!) in the Metropole Hotel in Taormina - but it was worth it for the view and jazz music.

Room Tip: I had a ground floor internal room which was very dark - not a problem unless you are intending to s...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

This hotel really lives up to its wonderful reviews. The hotel is beautifully presented in Art Deco style. Our standard room had a separate corridor with a bathroom and our own small sitting room. The staff were very helpful and friendly and recommended things to see and local restaurants. The breakfast was good and plentiful. We were able to park right outside the hotel which only cost a few euros on a parking meter. It is excellent value for money and we wouldn't hesitate to return.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

The Hotel Liberty is nestled in the heart of busy Catania. It is a small sanctuary admits the hustle and bustle of the centre.

Driving in Catania is notoriously bad and compares with Vietnam style driving! Most cars showing off a variety of dents and scrapes - it is therefore quite difficult to navigate with small roads so it is worth popping the address into your Sat Nav. With high ceilings, marble floors and ostentatious decor, the Liberty Hotel, albeit very small gives a sense of stepping back in time. The concierge on reception is lovely and so accommodating. You can pay a few euros to park directly outside the hotel, or use the more pricey hotel facility parking.

We booked in using Trip Advisor and whilst securing a good rate, were given a room on the ground floor with no natural light - make sure you ask for a room on one of the upper floors. Breakfast was average but all in all, its a nice stopover if you need to stay in Catania.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room on one of the upper floors as the ground floor one we stayed in was ver...
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Justdo
Chester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely fantastic, from the moment we arrived for our 10 days from a seasoned traveller it was the best hotel we've ever had the pleasure to stay in.
Every member of staff is not just a credit to the hotel but to Catania. One lady in particular would test me on my Italian...such patience:-)
Motto molto bene.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Bordeaux, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

This is a great hotel for the value in a culturally rich city. I'm thinking of coming back just to stay here again! Yes you have to pay parking, but whatever, the rooms are cheap enough. You can park at night on the street.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

From the moment we arrived the staff was overwhelming attentive,helpful and friendly - very professional. They guided us on what to do in our three days in Catania and we followed their recommendations closely. They organized a guide who took us on a half day tour of Mt. Etna (the day before it erupted), a half day tour of Syracuse and also our trip to Taormina for dinner and the opera in the open air Greek amphitheatre. They organized our taxis when required and provided us with all the necessary train and bus information for our trips to Acirealle, Acitrezza and Taormina. The breakfast was ample, the personalized service was very much appreciated. A special mention of thanks to both Valentina and Antonio at the front desk who did everything possible to make our stay unforgettable.

Room Tip: The room we had which faces the street (Via San Vito) was quiet and lovely.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Liberty Hotel in Catania was our first hotel on our eleven night adventure around Sicily. We have just returned today for our last night in Sicily at Liberty Hotel before we leave on our departing flight tomorrow.
The hotel very happily stored our excess luggage and we were able to just take our back packs on our trip. This was such a relief as we had had to pack for two different climates - trekking in snow and the heat of an Italian summer, but what I want to say more than anything is that not long after leaving Catania I realized that I no longer had our money belt! I was horrified and upset and as hard as I tried I could not remember what I had done with it and thought I had lost it forever but on our return to Hotel Liberty I was informed that the hotels House Keeping staff had found the money belt in our room safe. I can not believe their honesty and was overwhelmed to think that they had handed it into reception to await our return. I have asked to speak to the person who found it, so I can express my gratitude and thanks.
We have had two wonderful nights at Hotel Liberty and can not praise the hotel staff enough for their professionalism, care and attention in all areas. The rooms are olde worlde style, exceptionally clean and really quite lovely. Breakfast is of a high standard and the bowls crunchy peanut butter sweets in every reception room and welcoming gift of traditional almond cakes in our room were a treat. I would highly recommend Hotel Liberty to everyone travelling to Catania and it deserves its number one Trip Advisor ranking.

Sleep Quality