“Friendly hostel in the city centre” 3 of 5 stars

Agora Hostel
Piazza Curro 6, Catania, Sicily, Italy (Centro Catania)   |
Ranked #13 of 51 Specialty Lodging in Catania
milano
“Friendly hostel in the city centre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

I enjoyed my stay at the agora hostel. Maybe not the best hostel i have been, but the staff is very friendly and helpful and it is located in a great location, 2 min from the central fish market.
It is very noisy at night because the hostel bar gets very crowded and the square in front of the hostel can be full of people until 2-3 am. However i would suggest it as there is a very warm atmosphere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

Yuck. Please think twice about staying here. I have NO IDEA how this place is getting good reviews on Trip Advisor - my friend and I actually checked it out on here it had good reviews so we booked. HUGE MISTAKE. This place was NOT CLEAN at all - I swear the place has not been cleaned in decades, especially the bathroom. There was black mold in the shower and even dead bugs stuck to the walls. I could tell the shower hadn't been cleaned in ages. It was absolutely disgusting and there was not enough water to take a shower...not that you'd want to!

We had booked a private room with bathroom, but when we got there we were crammed into a room barely big enough to fit the tiny metal bunk beds (loved the vinyl covered mattresses), there was NO room for luggage...and guess what? Yup - no bathroom. It was actually a shared bathroom down the hall. Our so-called "private" room was actually a set of bunkbeds inside a little closet within a dorm room full of guys. Our "room" overlooked the bar, which was kind of a cool place to hang out, I guess. However, it was extremely LOUD so don't expect to get much sleep. I actually had to go have a few drinks in order to sleep because the place was so loud and disgusting.

The staff were very friendly for the most part - that would be the ONLY plus of this place.

We paid for two nights in advance, but after staying only one night (and eating the awful breakfast of stale bread, stale cornflakes and warm milk), we ran out of there as fast as we could and we headed for Taormina...which was the most amazing place ever and a very welcome oasis after staying at "A-Gory Hostel".

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

I booked by phone and it cost me just 20 euros for the night. I stayed in a female dorm, opposite the ladies bathroom. It was fairly quiet so the times I was in my room I was on my own. The hostel is within walking distance from the port, which is great as you save money on taxi far. Also it's a short walk to the duomo. The bar is open late downstairs and attracts lots of locals, much to my enjoyment. If I backpack again in Italy I will definately be coming back to this hostel.

• Liked — Location, price, bar, people.
  • Disliked — The bathroom could be maintained a bit better.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Gold Coast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

The hostel was quite a walk from the train station so be wary. On arrival we were checked into our own private room that was great, clean and comfortable we then decided to stay another two nights and was put in a VERY small private room through the main dorm and above the bar. We didnt get much sleep untill the bar shut around dawn, it was incredibly noisey and as the hostel is in a caul de sac it traps in noise, the location is close to many ammenities and resturants. Catania is a great place to visit to see and climb etna and site seeing. The hostel offers free breakfast however, it seemed a little stale. The resturant staff do not understand any english so be careful what your order if you dont speak italian. The hostel is close to the airport and be mindful you need to purchase tickets before you get on the bus.
It was clean and tidy hostel and a great atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Belfast -Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2007

Lively cheap hostel, Great location within walking distance of everything

Getting there
The Ali bus (bus 457) goes to and from the aiport about every 20 minutes. You can get it at the Central Station or a few stops along the way.
Only costs about €1 one way and takes about 20-30mins depending on traffic. Hostel is right beside the very busy local market

Room & Cost
Double room in September 2005 eas €45 per room B&B which is cheaper than other hotels in Catania.
Room basic but clean although just beside the railway tracks so you hear the trains passing but the sound wouldn't wake you up. No air conditioning but rooms have fans so you can get some air

We were lucky and got a double room where we only shared a bathroom with one other room, although it was just of the reception area so you would get people wandering in from there

Facilities
Hostel workers speak English & are friendly and it takes credit card (which other low budget hotels don't)
3 internet stations costing €1 for 15 mins.
Breakfast is included and is basic & small just with bread, juice and some meat but its enough to keep you going.

Food / Nightlife
Very lively outside restaurant / bar
Restaurant menu quite basic compared to other places but portions are quite big.
Bar is very lively and gets a big crowd on Saturday & Sunday nights (wasn't there to see the other nights). Funky music going and big selection at the bar, wine, beer and lots of cocktails. Great place to socialise, Seems a lot of locals come here at the weekend

Downstairs small restaurant / bar in a cave with the river running through it, brillant atmosphere with candles buring

Activities
The thing I found fun was sitting in a cafe on a Saturday evening people watching. Saturday evenings must be when everyone comes out all dressed up and parade / strut through the streets.
It is interesting to watch the weird hairs, the fashion and the behaviours if you're not used to it

• Stayed September 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2007

Where do I start? Well, I am currently travelling around Italy and my second stop was at this hostel for 3 nights. I have been in Napoli, Rome, Florence since then, and I intend to go to Venice and Milan before returning home.

The Agora Hostel has ruined my whole trip! Why? The Agora is the number one place I have ever visited in my hostelling career and all I do is spend my time here travelling wiching I could go back to this amazing place. If I could, I would live there (in Catania) and visit the friends I made at the Agora.

I cans ee why it might not strike anyone as it has me because I think you have to stay there for longer than three days...I ended up not being able to leave until 13 days after I checked in.

The food is out of this world and the drinks offer's are good on the wallet. The hostel runs Mt. Etna excursions and can offer advice on many local amenities.

I arrived with my mate and we immediately bumped into some other people and became instant friends - now one of them is following us around Italy as we travel...every conversation we have is of the Agora and how we miss it.

Rooms are basic and it can be noisy - it attracts a lot of Erasmus students and we all know what they can be like. Still, that can be fun too.

If you are going to Catania (better than Palermo by far), then stay here if on a budget. Book on the net though as its cheaper.

David

Stayed February 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2006

The best thing about the Agora was the bar - happy hours, happy food, happy people! The rooms were very basic but if you're of the 'its only a place to sleep' mentality then you'll be fine. For the price as well, you cant go far wrong with the Agora. The staff were mostly helpful. The breakfast was pretty good for hostel standards, and the house wine (at 5 euros for a litre) made the plastic matresses easier to cope with! But maybe thats why they need them...The only downside was the bathroom was absolutely disgusting - vomit and faeces all over the place. That was on the last morning so dont know if it was just a one-off but it was gross. The best thing about the hostel was the local market next door which you walked through every morning to get to the main piazza.It really gave you an insight in to local life and sicilian customs you just dont see in England(like a cows head getting sliced and diced ).

• Stayed May 2006

Been to Agora Hostel? Share your experiences!