“Disappointing hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Ognina Catania

You added Hotel Ognina Catania to your Saves list
Hotel Ognina Catania
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Messina 628, 95126 Catania, Sicily, Italy (Ognina-Picanello-Stazione)   |
Ranked #40 of 50 Hotels in Catania
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Disappointing hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The hotel was marketed as being close to the sea which was a little misleading. We (and our sat nav) found it difficult to find. The staff were fairly friendly and the impressive reception area would lead many to expect much more from this hotel. The rooms were very small although scrupulously clean. The breakfast was disappointing. No orange juice available during our stay and the staff did not replenish the breakfast buffet when items were left out. If you turn up for breakfast at 9.30 don't expect to have much choice. Also very disappointed to have to pay 7 euros a day per device for wifi.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
Lombard, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 days in Catania and got this hotel for 45 Euros a night and thought it was a good deal. A simple breakfast was included as well as free parking right in front of the hotel. You can see the beautiful water from your hotel window (ask for a room on the back side). We walked from the hotel to many parts of Catania and really enjoyed the experience. There is a little fresh seafood store very near the hotel where they also have some prepared options available and we enjoyed eating that right next to the water. We also had a couple of nice dinners out in Catania. Driving around Italy for Americans can be a little intimidating however I loved it, but my wife was a little stressed especially in the cities. We used Catania as our base and also drove over to Palermo which we also enjoyed a lot. We look forward to coming back to Sicily for many more things that we didn't have time to see this trip. This hotel is small, and quiet and we enjoyed it. We did ask for a different room after walking in to the first one which my wife immediately said smelled like bad cigarette smoke so be aware and make sure you get a non-smoking one if that matters to you.

Room Tip: Get one on back side for better view, and make sure it's a non-smoking room if preferred.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Thanks to all the service group for the hotel, who where very helpfull and nice. We spent three excelent days at the hostel, which offered excelent breakfast and very nice rooms for a very low price. It had also enough place to park and very good recommendations to enjoy the city.

Thank you all so much from a argentinean girl and a german boy!

Regards, Ivanna Z.

Room Tip: There are rooms with see view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

酒店是连锁型的三星酒店,同样是三星比罗马的所谓三星家庭酒店好多了。首先交通比较便利,酒店有免费的停车场地, 对于开车游览西西里的人很方便,而车对于西西里而言几乎是必不可少的。酒店早餐很好,我们夫妇带3岁女儿定了一个 双人间,并没有为孩子支付任何费用,但是也能享受酒店的早餐,而且吃得很不错。肉类,牛奶,果汁。面包等等。 酒店有sky TV,甚至可以看到中文频道。入住酒店的凌晨两点,我女儿饿醒了要喝牛奶,我去前台找热水,前台 还有人兢兢业业的在服务,很好。酒店出门向左,第一个路口左拐,5分钟可以找到一个中餐厅。

洗澡间太小了,太小了。wifi是要收钱的。

The hotel is a Chain style 3stars hotel, much better than a family style 3stars hotel in Rome. The hotle has a free car park which is good. A car is Necessary in sicily anyway. The breakfast was very good, We did not pay anything (even city tax) for my three years old daugther, but the hotel provided breakfast for her as well. The hotel has shy tv, you can find channels in your own language. I was looking for hot water for my girl's milk powder at 2:00 AM, the front desk was still in service. and last you can walk to a chinese Restaurant just in 5 mins.

Shower Room is very very very small, wifi is not free.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We arrived tired after a late flight. Staff were welcoming and friendly - we stayed 3 nights using it as a base to tour Etna, Syracuse, Agrigento and Mosaics Villa. Excellent location - outside the main city but on the coast by a pretty marina & city beach. Next door to a petrol station which sounds bad but an easy visual landmark and easy to park. Acceptable restaurants next door or down the road on the marina but if you're there for just a night then its worth venturing into the city centre for atmosphere. We had an excellent view of Mt Etna from our room - Bonus! Reception staff booked us taxi into Catania 'Old Town' (lovely!!) and our choice of excursion to Etna. Large room with small bathroom - all clean and modern. Highly recommended for budget traveller.

Room Tip: Email for a room with a view - your choice of marina or Etna!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Heerlen, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Hotel Ognina gives you great value for your money. Rooms are a bit small but well equipped and clean. Breakfast is simple but a lot better than many other hotels in the same class in Italy. Staff is friendly and helpful. The hotel is fine for a one or two night stay. For a longer trip I would prefer a larger room.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

This hotel is just ok. The breakfast is very continental,and if you waltz in at 10:31am, the doors will be locked. The lobby is nice looking,and you are greeted with Sicilian butter cookies, but you are charged for every little thing. Warning: WIFI will cost you 7euro daily! Also, the shower is very limited in size and the water floods into the bathroom. I thought it was just my room, but I moved to another room with the same problem and the other 5 members of my group complained about the same issue with their showers. Also, I asked the front desk for hot water for my tea. The man came upstairs with a Teapot full of Sicily's tap water. No one drinks tap water in Italy!! It smelled like fish!! It wasn't hot!! I was so insulted. Also, when I walked in my room, the remote control had no batteries in it, so I used my own. I was already frustrated because of the WiFi fees,so I didn't want to be bothered. When I turned the tv on, it had no English speaking channels and one subtitled MTV station. So, Teen Mom was all I could watch for 4 days. Due to location, I was surprised. This hotel was right off the water in the tourist area, but didn't accomodate tourists at all. I see that European 3 star is nothing like US 3 star. Never again.

• Stayed December 2011

Been to Hotel Ognina Catania? Share your experiences!