“Best value & location in Cagliari.” 5 of 5 stars

Aurora
Salita Santa Chiara, 19, 09124 Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy   |
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Cagliari
Houston, Texas
“Best value & location in Cagliari.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

This was my first trip to Cagliari. I'd researched places to stay, and prefer privately owned, smaller places, so Albergo Aurora hit all the right buttons, although I thought it was TOO big from their website!

Cagliari is a small town, albeit the largest on Sardinia. You can walk all the parts you need of Cagliari, and the bus system is tops, so even the hills can be dealt with this way.

Aurora is a tad off Piazza Yenne, which is PERFECT location for people watching, gelato, coffees, dinner, everything! So you are close to everything day and night, and that is not like downtown NYC or Paris - this Sardinia! Things are at their own pace.

Nearby is Via Manno, a pedestrian street of shops and commerce, and all things to see are close to Piazza Yenne.

I had a room in the back, room 203, and stayed 3 nights. Everyone involved with Aurora was friendly, pleasant and smiling! (Even when I came in at 11 pm upon my arrival.) My room was a bit smaller (I had a single, but a double bed all the same) and I loved the room. Wood ceiling, ensuite bathroom/shower. The view from my window was Elephant Tower - brilliant when lit up at night! I too agree with the other traveller, the back is quieter, but you give up the balcony view of the Piazza. The hotel has about 12 rooms on 2 floors, and the reviewer who complained about stairs apparently hasn't travelled in Europe much! This is NORMAL! There are commercial businesses on the ground floor. Besides, stairs are good for you.

I peeked into the other rooms on the 200s floor whilst they were vacated/cleaned - larger and brilliantly painted. All were lovely, indeed. My room had a split unit heat/Air Con (October is not a/c months anyhow) - I think they all had them. I reserved through email with the hotel itself and paid single rates.

I loved the rooms and building - so well done, so old but so well done - I felt as if I went back in time, complete with BBC World and a shower.

The 'breakfast' is Sardinian-style - they don't eat breakfast like Americans or Brits - a pastry (or non-sweet bread) and coffee, lots of black, steamy coffee! Then a late afternoon lunch, never hurried, a siesta and then out for the night of people watching, dinner, wines and more coffee. That is the life, and Aurora is perfect location for IT ALL.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Alston, cumbria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

We enjoyed our stay at the Aurora. Being located beside a main square Piazza Yenne was a plus for us although we thought it might prove to be too noisy at night, but was no problem even though our room was on that side, Take earplugs if worried. The staff were friendly and helpful. If you go up the steps just outside the hotel you will find the elevator which takes you up to the Castello district, which is marvellous.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

We booked the Albergo Aurora through their own website. They confirmed the nights we wanted and said there would be no problem with us arriving late as our flight got in at 2330. When we arrived we were met in reception by a very friendly guy who showed us to our room - 102. The room was large with French windows that opened to a tiny balcony - more of a ledge really. There are a couple of bars right outside the Aurora so if you have trouble sleeping I would ask for a room at the back but as I travel for a living my earplugs were sufficient. The location of the hotel is perfect, Piazza Yenne is literally around the corner, as is Il Castello district and the waterfront is a five minute walk. Across the way is a local farmers market where we got a roll made with the Sardinian bread, prosciutto and pecorino for lunch on a couple of days. (The stall we liked is on the far side to the door.) They cost us 2 Eur each. Under the Aurora is an upmarket wine shop and despite our limited Italian they were more than willing to help to recommend the local wines (and they didn't recommend the most expensive ones by any means) and every day we asked them to put a bottle of our favourite Prosecco (fantastic Italian sparkling wine) in the fridge for collection the next day. For breakfast the Aurora give you a coupon to take to the coffee shop on the corner and you can choose a pastry and a coffee, it's an authentic Italian coffee bar so don't expect a sterile Starbucks experience! You pay for anything extra but as an additional cappucino is 1 Eur it's very reasonable and great quality. For lunch we sat at our mini-balcony and had a little picnic of the local produce (read rolls, wine, fruit) each day then went back out for the afternoon and evening. The location is so good you're not far from anywhere in Cagliari. The staff are incredibly helpful with a great sense of humour and when I knocked over a plant pot and asked for a dustpan and brush I was shooed out of the way (pleasantly) by the cleaning lady who wouldn't let me anywhere near it. The bathrooms are very small but clean and although we didn't have any reason to complain I'm sure any comments would be welcomed. The atmosphere of the place is lovely. If you're looking for a generic 4 star experience don't come here, in fact don't go to Italy (I'm lucky enough to stay in 5 star hotels in Rome and Milan with work and their ideas of 5 star accomodation are quite different to a lot of other places!) If you want bags of character, a fantastic location and fabulous staff then you'll love it. Greet it with the spirit it deserves!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2007

We stayed here last minute because we didn't know that we booked a hotel on an island (made a mistake). We just stayed for one night, thankfully. It's an okay hotel/hostel, in a good location. We paid 45 euros for a double room, with a shared bathroom. I think most of it was clean, but everything was quite old. The sheets were old too (with a beach, palm tree print), and the comforter had a cigarette burn in it. I guess overall it was not Super bad for what you pay for, but it wasn't what we were expecting.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — It was old, and the door to the room looked like it was going to fall or something.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Aurora? Share your experiences!