“Decent hotel, bad location” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Panorama
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Viale Diaz, 231, 9100 Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy   |
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Cagliari
London
“Decent hotel, bad location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

I stayed here on a week's holiday in June 2009. I was travelling on my own, so wanted somewhere that was within easy reach of both town and beach so that I could keep myself entertained. The biggest problem with Hotel Panorama is its location. There's nothing very much around the hotel, so if you want to do anything, it involves a 10 minute bus journey (or a 20 minute walk into the city centre). In hindsight I would much rather have stayed either in the city centre or at Poetto Beach, which would have meant just a slightly longer bus journey when I wanted to get to the other.

That said, it's only a 10 minute bus ride to the beach, and 5 mins to city centre. And the hotel does have the compensation of a decent pool and pool bar, a godsend on hot summer weekend days when you can't be bothered to go to the crowded beach.

In terms of other amenities, the hotel also offers free wi-fi throughout, does a reasonable breakfast and a very decent dinner from an 8th floor restaurant with a wonderful view, my room was ok (if a little noisy from the main road, I'd recommend asking for a room that's not on the main road side), and the staff are mostly friendly and helpful, though some speak little English, and one rather surly chap seemed to think it a terrible imposition that I wanted to use the safe deposit box daily to store my laptop, even though the hotel literature in my room made it very clear that the hotel wouldn't take responsibility for the loss of items left in the room. (And there was no in room safe in my room).

The chambermaid service was also a little hit and miss. There was a cigarette butt on my balcony from the previous occupant that was there when I arrived, and still there when I left, even though my room had been serviced daily in the meantime. They also neglected to replace the plastic cups in my room for the last couple of days of my stay.

I had a perfectly pleasant stay here, but unless having a pool is a must for you (or you have your own transport), I would recommend looking at hotels that are either in Cagliari city centre, or at the beach, depending on where you anticipate you will spend most time.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

Not the sort of person to write reviews of hotels, but this place really deserves one! The stay began with us having to wait for ages to check in, then being led into a room that smelt of urine and obviously hadn't been renovated since the 80s. The hotel staff seemed to go out of their way to be rude, and were generally unconcerned with providing any level of customer service. Although the place is on a bus route and is between the beach and the town, it's basically stuck on a main road and is certainly far from being the nicest part of this pretty island. I'm not usually fussy, but this place definitely isn't worth its four stars or the money they charge.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

Just got back from a few days stay here and was pleased with our choice.

Location was good - short bus ride to the beach one way and town the other way. Could also get buses from one street up to different parts of town (number 6 to castello area for eg). We bought tickets for the bus (1 euro) from the shop nearby though as the hotel charged 2 euro for them!

Didn't go in the pool but it looked lovely.

There was traffic noise as it was quite a busy road, but it didn't bother us.

Our room was fine, nothing special but clean and comfortable. The chamber maid service was very good. The room wasn't huge and we had a smaller balcony than other rooms it seemed but the bathroom was huge with a good shower (no bath) and loads of towels, although as other review says the hairdryer was rubbish! There was a fridge/mini bar and tv (no english speaking channels).

Breakfast was nice - buffet of pastries, bread rolls, fruit, cereal, eggs, ham, cheese. We also had the same experience of food not being replenished, especially when there was a large group in, but when i asked for scrambled egg and they brought me my own freshly cooked plateful.

I found Cagliari to be a lovely town with friendly people. The old part of town, castello district was really nice. The tourist city bus (10 euro for an hour from piazza yenne) was good for getting our bearings and seeing the main sights. The cathedral was worth going in, and we enjoyed wandering round the narrow streets.

Would recommend caffe libarium on via santa croce for an early evening drink - its got a terrace with lovely views and drinks come with a plate of cheese and salami. Another place to try is caffe degli spiritu on the terrace of San Remy bastion - lovely setting and good pizza. We also enjoyed drinks and people watching at the outside bars on piazza yenne!

We went to poetta beach which was fab. Hired really nice sunbeds from a new cafe / bar just past the lido called Emersons (still building it but nice modern furnishings). Its mostly salads and paninis but we enjoyed lunch and the friendly good service there.

One last transport tip - taxis are expensive (10 euro back to hotel) and difficult to find, even at a taxi rank! Apparantly the trick is to ring the hotel and ask them to ring you one (at weekends anyway...we waited an hour for one!) A taxi from the airport cost us 30 euro (at midnight) but the bus from the main bus station on the way back was 2 euro, really frequent, and takes about 10 minutes. Can also leave luggage at the ticket kiosk for 1 euro per hour.

Enjoy cagliari....we did!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

This hotel is in a good location for both the city centre and poetto beach. It is well served by buses(5 minutes to the city centre, 10-12 minutes to poetto), which stop right outside the hotel, although it is only a 20 minute walk to the city centre.

If you hire a car, which I would recommend so that you can get out of cagliari and visit some spectacular beaches like Teulada and Villasimius, there is also a secure car park - free of charge in the basement of the hotel.

The hotel also has free wireless internet which was a god-send.

The room was well-equipped, modern and clean. The hotal has been refurbished recently.

Breakfast is in the 8th floor restaurant which has great views of the bay and cagliari. Breakfast is a little hit and miss in terms of availability of certain items, but we found that if you asked the staff to replenish anything they accomidated immeditalely.
I stayed here for a week with my girlfriend and found the hotel staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them.

There's a nice pool area with a bar in which you can get snacks also.

All in all a perfect hotel for seeing cagliari and its surrounds.

• Liked — Friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nottingham, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

I stayed at Hotel Panorama with my boyfriend for 1 week. We drove to the hotel from the airport, which took approx 15 minutes. Upon arrival we were greeted by very friendly and helpful staff. Our room had a lovely view from the balcony. It was very clean and the air con was a god send.

The location of the hotel is brilliant, it is about a 25 minute walk to town or you can get the bus which convientley stops right outside the hotel. Going in the opposite direction it's about 10 minutes on the bus to the nearest beach (Poetto beach). The hotel sells bus tickets but you can also buy them from a cafe, about 150 yards up the road.
There wasn't much in the immediate vicinity, but the hotel has a superb restaurant. The food was great and the staff were very good. There is also a separate bar next to the pool area.

Going back to the staff; they don't all speak great English, some are better than others but none the less they were all lovely and polite. On our first day we asked the staff member manning the front desk how we could get about, where was the nearest beach etc... He was so helpful. He gave us a few maps and wrote the names of the beaches down, he told us which buses to catch, he even told us about some of the local dishes and recommended a few places to eat!

We accidentally left our 'Do not Disturb' sign on the door one morning and didn't return until about 5pm, we were pleasantly surprised to return from the bar after about 90 mins and find the room had been made up at this late hour in the day!

There are few negatives though. The first being the hair dryer. Ladies; take your hair dryer with you! I thought that since the hotel had been renovated in 2006-07 that it would have a good hairdryer. It was a very old fashioned thing and it took me about 30 mins to dry my hair!
There are no Tea or coffee making facilities which at first you don't mind but it did start to annoy me towards the end of the week.
The only other thing would be the view, our view was great, but the hotel has other rooms which face the road and buildings opposite. If we'd of been given one of those rooms I imagine I’d of been very disappointed.

Overall I can't really fault the hotel; I'm probably being a bit picky with my negative points. I'd stay there again, and would defiantly recommend it.

• Liked — location, great service, nice room
  • Disliked — rubbish hairdryer, no tea or coffee facilities in the room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2005

A weekend business mission inspired me to take my wife to Cagliari. Apparently this is the only city hotel with a pool. Sadly, although the pool is pleasant, there are only wooden deck-chairs (no loungers). We booked superior / VIP double room which had space, but little else. The bathroom was crude and unpleasant, the bed was very hard and unforgiving, and the general furnishings were scruffy. It was, however, very clean.

The location is not exciting either, but taxis are readily available. The reception staff were quite helpful, but spoke little English. The cafe bar is OK, and the staff there were very nice. The beer is cold, and they have some decent wine, but the sandwiches were chewy.

Cagliari is an uninspiring city in general, but one often finds that the capital of holiday islands is the worst part of the island. If you absolutely have to be there, this hotel is functional but only just. If you have a choice, go up the coast to one of the gin palaces and rent a car for the commute.

Finally, the price was about double what I felt the room was worth. We will not be returning to the Panorama.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Panorama? Share your experiences!