“What a disappointment - and wait till you see breakfast” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Florida
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Lido 15, 07041 Alghero, Sardinia, Italy   |
Ranked #17 of 50 Hotels in Alghero
Milan, Italy
“What a disappointment - and wait till you see breakfast”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Let me say this right away: I very much regret booking the Hotel Florida.

Would I recommend this hotel to anyone? No, I would not. Seriously. Boy, where we disappointed. Based on the many positive reviews here, I thought it wouldl be a bit basic, but okay. I was wrong.

What did we like about the hotel? We liked that the rooms were clean inside, and we liked the location right across the road from a very reasonable beach. And that is it.

What did we not like? Everything else, unfortunately. I am not sure whether all other reviews of the hotel are genuine, whether other reviews have just been a little too optimistic because Alghero is such a nice place, or whether I am the one driving in the wrong direction here. But let me give you a sense of what we perceived (and we stayed for 6 days, plenty of time).

The rooms are not spacious, but tiny and crammed. The furniture is old and tired. The bathroom is so tiny that you actually bump into stuff. The rooms are clean, but the outsides are not. The balcony, including the AC unit, and the mosquito netting had large parts covered in bird droppings, that have obviously been around a long time. This is what you look at when you are inside. Think about it. So being inside the room is just... disappointing. Pure and simple. Nothing is nice, nothing is pleasant to look at. Oh, and you cannot keep the air condition running when you go outside, because your room key is needed to activate the air con. Guess how hot the room gets during the day. Guess how this feels combined with the room having no fridge.

The hotel is full of "notices", i.e. pieces of paper that "inform" you about what you should not do. Such as open the windows. Or check out after 10am. And so on. This creates a very youth hostel style atmosphere. You clearly get the idea that this is a hotel that manages its guests, so that they do not become too much trouble.

This fits well with the fact, when you leave your room in the morning, you find HUGE hospital style trolleys filling up with dirty laundry in the corridors. Every morning we walked by these things. Every morning. I know, all hotels have laundry to collect. But I have never stayed in a place that does not put even the smallest amount of effort into hiding its dirty linens, literally. Well, meet the Florida.

The price. We paid EUR 162 (including a baby bed) per night, and that was by far the cheapest available rate offered anywhere. I know, high season is expensive in Sardinia. I know, it is right on the beach. But this is a three star hotel, with little comfort and no extras included (yes, pool towels cost 3 Euro to use). We stayed in several other hotels in Alghero, including the Carlos V and the El Faro. Amazing hotels and more expensive, I know. But far, far better value for money.

The most depressing fail? Breakfast. I live in Italy and believe me, I know what I am talking about. This is the cheapest, ugliest, least appetizing breakfast I have ever seen in Italy. Period. I think disgusting would be an appropriate word. Everything was of the lowest possible quality. The coffee, from a machine, was truly disgusting. The juices chemical. Even the cornetti (Italian croissants) were inedible. How on earth can you get a cornetto wrong!?

You will note, even if you cannot read them, that the reviews in Italian further down here are much less positive than those written by English speaking travellers. My opinion is very close to the Italian feedback. A hugely overpriced, tired and depressing hotel that serves a disgusting breakfast.

Would I recommend this hotel? Well, it almost ruined our holiday. So no, I would never, ever, recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: I would NOT choose a room without sea view, the view out the back seemed VERY uninviting in comparis...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Sassari, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I have been a frequent guest for ages and I have always been positively impressed by the hotel, it's staff and it's amazing location.
The hotel itself is rated three star, the rooms are spacious and equipped with flat screen tv and all the basic facilities. The bathrooms are modern but there's no mini fridge unfortunately, which is a drawback especially in summer. Guests can take advantage of the nice swimming pool as well as the fitness center. The beach is just across the road and the historical city centre is only a 10' stroll away.
The continental buffet breakfast, included in the price, offers a wide variety of foods, hot and cold, sweet and salted.
The staff proved to be very friendly and helpful. Like a family, really.
It'd highly recommend Florida hotel if you are looking for good deals and amazing relax. No frills though.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Lulea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Very nice hotell, nice staff, everything was good and clean. The beach next to the hotel wasn´t so nice, I really recomend the Maria Pia Beach instead, about 15 minutes of walk from the hotel, there you have a really nice white beach and the sunbeds aren´t expensive at all, about 10 euro for 2 beds and one umbrella. Maria Pia forest is also nice for a afternon walk.
Alghero is a very calm and nice town, good restaurants in Alghero town about 15 minutes of walk from this hotel.
We also went for a daytrip to the beautiful Stintino Beach, and it really was "the perfect postcard beach" that we heard so much about.
We can also recomend a day trip to Corsica, really nice little town in the harbour, nice boutiqes and restaurants.
The Neptuno cave/grotto is really worth a visit, very beautiful to see.
Over all our week in Alghero, Sardinia was very nice, we also did some snorkling.
The weather was perfect (first week in june), about 30 degrees celsius.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

the hotel is basic, clean and functional. it's ideally located for the lido area of the beach and a 15 minute stroll into the old town. there's also a good selection of family orientated restants near by - highly recommend pizza al metro ( pizza by the metre)!

Room Tip: sea view is must - the view to the rear isn't great!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Hotel Florida was a pleasant stay....Rooms are very clean and comfortable. Did not have a mini fridge to put drinks or snacks. Beach right across the street but had construction going on. Pool was always clean and lifeguard was always working till 7p. Morning buffet had variety of cheeses, bread, coffee and cereals, eggs...Local bus available from airport to & from the hotel...make sure you tell the bus driver to let you know where you get off for Hotel Florida....Staff was always friendly and willing to help out with any questions you have...Great hotel for couples, families or solo.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Me and my partner stayed at Hotel Florida in Alghero for 1 week. I was a little apprehensive about the hotel before we got there as it was only 3 star rated but when I arrived I was pleasantly suprised. The room spelt really clean when we arrived, it was spotless and very comfortable. The only thing it was lacking was a fridge which we would've liked to keep drinks cool etc.
We spent a lot of time near the pool area which again was very clean and peaceful. Despite the fact that it was peak season it was not overcrowded and there was always spare sunbeds.
There was a bar where the staff were friendly and at lunchtimes you could order snacks like paninis etc. 2 cokes would set you back 5 Euros.
We had breakfast and dinner and included with our stay. Breakfast was fairly simple but nice. It included yoghurts, fruit, juices, croissants, cereal etc. There was some cooked food but it was nowhere near on par with a cooked English breakfast.
For dinner there was a menu that offered 2 choices of starter and main and then desserts. Dinner was the part that disappointed us as my partner is a vegetarian and the only vegetarian option they would offer him was an omlette which he did not want to eat every night. The food at dinner was cooked nicely but there just was not much choice. This therefore meant that we often went out for dinner. We had some delicious meals but again the options for vegetarians are very limited and my partner ended up having many pizzas. Sardinian food is very heavily seafood based, I am a seafood lover and it was very tasty and very reasonably priced.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Alghero
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Friendly staff,room clean.Minor issue of no fridge and no English speaking stations on the TV. Overall very good location walk across road to beach. Was able to store bikes for free in a garage at the rear.I opted for half board and was happy with the variety of food offered.Great view from dining room.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Hotel Florida? Share your experiences!