“would return here again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carlos V Hotel

You added Carlos V Hotel to your Saves list
Carlos V Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Lungomare Valencia, 24, 07041 Alghero, Sardinia, Italy   |
Ranked #9 of 50 Hotels in Alghero
UK
“would return here again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

i came here for a scientific meeting at the hotel and stayed on an extra week with my partner. We found the hotel up to the standard we would expect. The staff we met were all friendly and helpful including the cleaning ladies. The breakfast was fine all the things you would expect were available. It was nice to be able to order an omlet of your choice and have it cooked in front of you by a friendly chief. The only week point for me was the coffee which was not really up to what I expected ( tea was fine though). The room was clean and tidy and the shower easy to use and powerful. While the bed was quite firm I slept ok and my partner found it very comfortable.

The old town is about a 10 minute strole away and is vey pleasent - lots of cafe's and restaurants - the ones overlooking the sea being most expensive. We recommend looking down the side streets for smaller tucked away places which we found to be excellent.

There was only one real supermarket which was on the far side of the park from the old town but it stocked most things you might need at reaonable prices.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlos_V_Hotel, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Carlos V Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for appreciating our hotel and our staff. We are glad that you appreciate our chef and show cooking. We are waiting you for the next time in Alghero!

Hoping to welcoming you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
LEWES SUSSEX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 week fly drive to Sardinia and stayed in the Carlos v Hotel for 4 nights. The hotel ran like clockwork the staff were friendly and efficient. The porter was very welcoming and helpfulThe room was of an excellent standard and spotlessly clean.The swimming pool area was beautifully kept by the pool attendant. We had a balcony room overlooking the pool and the sea and what ever time I looked at the pool the staff were ensuring it was kept safe clean and tidy.
We received a super complimentary bottle of fizz for a special occasion that our tour company had informed them about.The reception staff were helpful and courteous.
The breakfasts were good. the location is about a 10 minute walk from the town but the hotel is in the quieter nicer part of the town. All public areas are contemporary and beautifully clean and minimalist
I would highly recommend this hotel it is well run by hardworking staff and we enjoyed our stay very much

Room Tip: there is a lovely sea view from all south facing rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlos_V_Hotel, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Carlos V Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear customer,
it was a pleasure work for you. Your satisfaction is our mission that's what we need to hear in order to work always better!!!
A special thank you from all the hotel staff, we hope to welcome you at the Hotel Carlos V again!!!
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is a large corporate hotel. We had booked Superior Sea View Room @ E235 per night in June. On arrival we were shown to room with pool and sea view, which was certainly very large with very nice bathroom. We asked at Reception if we could have room directly at the front with a full sea view, our request was treated with disdain, eventually we were shown to a Standard Room at the front and told we would have to pay the Superior Room price if we choose this room, no reduction would be offered!! Breakfast was very poor, the only fresh fruits were melon and pineapple, all other fruit was tinned. No fresh juices. We did not find any friendly staff member, Reception Staff never smiled. We loved Alghero but will not be staying at Carlos V again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlos_V_Hotel, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Carlos V Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear customer,
thanks for having shared with us your point of you. We are sorry that you did not talk with us directly, actually fresh fruit is much more than melon and pinapple (already cutted) we ALWAYS have in a big ball with lots of other fruit as kiwi, pears, apple, bananas and other in a basket in the other side of the buffet then we also have canned fruit. Then orange fresh juice is always available too, on the buffet also already squeezed, may be you did not see it?? Next time just ask!!!
About the room we could not give you money back for a downgrade because you required it in the day of the check-in, so we have a superior room unsold just because you changed your mind, and for us is a damage.
If you asked it in advance no problem we could also give you money back but we could have the chance to sell the superior again, and would not rest unsold!!! In that way you did you kept a superior room until the arrival date and then you did not want it any more, no problem we could change room to make you happy but we could not give you money back which is understandable if you put yourself in our shoes, remember we are here to run a business...
Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Carlos V

I arrived on Sunday at this hotel after a rude Italian airport and a nightmare journey. I arrived at the desk to some polite reception ladies, I gave them my passport and credit card and was then told it would be 45 minutes before my room was ready and they suggested I buy a sandwich and drink from the bar. I decided to do that not thinking it was just another way for them to sting you. I had two poor quality sandwiches (no better than tesco) and a beer with a piña colada - the grand total €38 - absolutely unbelievable. Next we managed to pry our room card away from reception and walked into (according to staff) our "brand new" room - Christ almighty it was incredibly dated but the worst was yet to come, I look to my right hand corner and there were insects crawling around on the floor, not to worry I stamped on them and then sat on the bed, when I tell you this bed is hard words cannot explain. It felt like it had been carved out of rock and was not sprung let alone pocket sprung - bearing in mind this is a 5 star hotel. So we went out into town which was a lovely charming town, next we returned later in the day for some cocktails by the pool €24 for two cocktails with hardly any alcohol and the rudest barman you will ever meet, at this point I thought it couldn't get worse, we then had lunch which took nearly 45 minutes to receive, I was finally at the end of my tether and asked to speak to the manager. Quel surprise she was also rude and just completely blunt and would not try and calm down the situation at all, the final nail in the coffin is at breakfast this morning I asked them whether we could have some scrambled eggs, they explained they were out already, I then said "I know but there's pork and ham in these and my fiancée doesn't eat pork" the waiter looked at me and in perfect English said "she'll be fine, there is not much pork we will not make new ones there is nothing wrong with these"
I can genuinely say this is the worst 5 star hotel I've stayed in, I'm not expecting The Waldorf but I'm expecting a little better than a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Mr Alex D,
We are really feel deeply shocked and offended from your unfair complaints.
Actually we can say that already from the title you choose we can understand everything, who is honest does not really need to point it out, in fact you can’t really explain why among all the reviews posted here, yours is the only negative. But after all you gave your word in fact you have threatened to write it and you did.
If our Hotel would be indeed as you describe here it would not be almost fully booked all the time, attended of repeaters, and comments would not be those that you can read over.
We have already spoken personally but now stitch by stitch I will repeat what I have already explained to you.
First you had to wait for the room because it you came at check-in early in Hotel, on the site is clearly visible the time of delivery of the rooms ( 2.00 p.m.), moreover, if the check out time is at 11.00 it is not possible that you have the room to 11 because we have to clean it!
However I want to emphasize that the room she was given at 11:45 2 hours and 45 minutes before they have to! What can I say? We have a staff formidable contrary on what you said and this is the evidence ...
No comments speaks about dirt or even insects! It has never happened is difficult to see that you has had on the 3° floor this invasion. However, when you spoken with the manager why have you never communicated this trouble? You said that the room was perfect except for hard mattresses…
Why you do not talk about the fact that you have paid the basic garden view room and instead we have assigned a superior sea view completely free?
Talking of prices and I can assure you that are not expensive but within the national average and clearly written on the menu, so , if you do not want to pay so much you could not order. You could go out and eat or drink at the outdoor kiosk, on the road with a related kiosk service, but if you deserve to have a wonderful service on board a fantastic salty pool in a 5 star hotel, then, it is fair to say that you have to pay something extra, or not? Offer such a service costs, maintain the swimming pool costs, having trained and professional staff costs and therefore it is natural to have a price increase, everybody would agree with me except you.
Of course sorry that you did not like our cocktail, however if you wanted to add alcohol could for it ask I'm sure the bartender would have added for free! In any case, our bartender do not have any measuring cups for cocktails and he is really generous mixing alcohol. But still some customer require strong cocktails some others light cocktail just...ask!!!
Our Hotel has been completely refurbished for less than 5 years, orthopedic mattresses are designed to guarantee the health of your back and a proper rest. To be honest, actually orthopedic mattresses is one of the strongest point of our hotel, but maybe you are not used to it and I'm sorry if you did not liked them.
Scramble eggs are always on buffet cooked and bacon ham and pork are cooked on the side, are not in the same dish because we are respectful of everybody, it is an international hotel and we respect all religion that’s why you will never find scramble eggs mixed with pork, moreover we have show cooking where the chef cook in front of you omelets as your favorite.
Regarding the manager he could not help and could not address the problem because the only thing you asked was not to pay what you ate and drank and if you did not like our food would not have completely finished it and would not drink the cocktails, but you should have claimed immediately and not on the day when it was nearing the time of check out.
Sorry for not having fulfilled your complaints but really seemed to us absurd, we always try to go away happy guests and meet their demands but yours were not acceptable, after attending all the services and having consumed you cannot ask to cancel your bill of what you had and requested!
Actually we are working hard for customers, we are proud of our good job but still we are running a business and for us is not a joke, we give a service as best as we can, we are satisfied when the customer is satisfied too, that’s the goal of our job, so if you wanted not to spend your money you would have to choose another kind of accommodation!
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

2nd time staying here for long weekend. Staff are excellent especially the pool staff bar and restaurnat. lovely 10min stroll into town. Do make sure you go to the nice beaches on the other side of Alghero its a car drive or you can get taxi these are fantastic with lovely beach bars for lunch.

looking forward to visiting again and would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Carlos_V_Hotel, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Carlos V Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for choosing our hotel and for the excellent reviews and compliments about our services and our staff.
We are glad that your would recommend our hotel, we will not dissappoint our friends.
We are happy that you enjoyed our location and we thank you for your comments about our hotel and our staff.
We really hope you can have the chance to come back and visit again our beautiful Alghero
We grasp this opportunity to thank you for your confidence in us.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Spent a week here in June and enjoyed our stay. A little walk out of town (15-20 mins) but a pretty walk into town and actually a useful walk to aid digestion on the way back.

Rooms are a good size and well equipped and the hotel seems modern and well maintained. It's on a main road but you'd never tell from the lack of noise.

The breakfasts are fine - nothing outstanding but pretty comprehensive with a strong leaning towards the continental style.

The pool is large and has plenty of beds and its kept very clean. The area around the pool did get a little breezy but when we had sun the breeze was welcome but did result in getting a little burnt as it cooled us down. The pool bar is fine - not cheap but when is a pool bar cheap?

Free WI-fi but it didn't work in our room so I had to return to reception to pick up a signal - not a major hardship but if you've got kids or need to work its worth being aware of.

All the staff were pleasant and professional.

I'd be happy to stay here again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Customer,
thanks for having chosen the Hotel Carlos V and to shared with us your opinion.
We are glad to have received this review and to read your satisfaction with our service, we always try to do our best to make your stay a memorable experience!
We hope to have you again to overtake this experience!
Melton Mowbray
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here for three nights as part of a group package holiday. The 10/15 minute stroll into the main town is great the for the first few times, but having done it 7 or 8 time it does become a little bit tedious and tiresome. There are very few cafe bars between the hotel and town so choice in that respect is limited. Alghero is however a lovely town so what is lost on the walk to and fro is made up for by its vibrance and general facilities. The accomodation, food and service was as should be expected in a hotel of this class so there is little more to add to all the other positive comments posted on this forum. For me the swimming pool at this hotel was 'the best'. Not particularly glamorous from an aesthetic perspective but if you like to swim (and I mean swim rather than splash around) then this hotel is for you. For me three nights here was enough, we found the bed extremely hard and uncomfortable but others found them to be OK so I guess it is take as you find. I would stay at this hotel again, but having now done Alghero it is doubful that I will return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlos_V_Hotel, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Carlos V Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the excellent review.
We are happy that you loved our restaurant and that you have appreciated our swimming pool.
We only wanted to point out that the 10 minutes walk is relaxing far from the busy center of the city, you can appreciate the lovely view walking long the promenade and enjoy the romantic sunset.
We really hope to welcoming you again during your next trip in Alghero (actually under our point of view Alghero has to be visited at least twice!)

Greetings from all the staff

Been to Carlos V Hotel? Share your experiences!