“The only Indian restaurant around is excellent too” 4 of 5 stars

Corso Padova 18 Vicenza | Corso Padova 18 Vicenza, 36100 Vicenza, Italy
Improve this listing
Ranked #88 of 325 restaurants in Vicenza
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Vicenza
“The only Indian restaurant around is excellent too”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

They didn't even have their sign up yet. The old Italian restaurant sign was crudely covered in black trash bags like a heavy dead body, with a paper sign that read "Ristorante Indiano" in red letters. I had no idea the hours or seating or what. I walked in and it was very lively, as expected as the only Indian restaurant besides Padova and Verona, 1 hour away each. Interior is brand new and the dining room is long. Regardless, they told me to wait 20 min for a table for one. When they tried to coax the couple next to me into the "giardino," outside, they refused. And me hot in my sweater in the 60 degree Italian fall weather, begged to sit in the garden.
It is October 18th, one week after the place has opened, so it is busy and the staff has probably not cut its times down to expert levels, but it isn't bad at all. If you bring good company, you will not even notice.
I've had Indian in England, Germany, Rwanda, Djibouti and the U.S. and so far, this one has the best vindaloo out of all of them, with Germany and Rwanda putting up a good fight. I had roti as a first, which was not what I was expecting, kind of dry and not oily fried like the Guyanese roti I am used to. And after I had the simple lamb vindaloo with rice. The vindaloo, which I had "Indian spicy" with the waiter's authorization, was the most complex I have had yet. Most simple curry and vindaloos I've had are tomato paste, curry powder, cumin, and you never notice what else. This stuff was a mob storming my tongue. I could taste the coriander, cinnamon, cumin, cardamom, garlic and whatever other ingredients they had in it. It was complex. The spice was very manageable as well, but I am on an extended scale. It was about tabasco spicy.
Despite the waiting, I was completely satisfied with the food. It was excellent. I only wish the portions were 50% bigger, I wanted a whole other dish when I was finished.
The staff were very kind, if overwhelmed a little, but this place just opened. I'm told the cook has been cooking for 30 years, and I think it shows. If you are near Venice and want Indian, this place will knock your craving out. There is also a sister restaurant in Padova if that is closer. Be sure to call in a reservation if you decide to go, 0444300961, and the waiter told me they open for lunch at 1000, so that would probably be a good time to call.
Overall I am very happy with this restaurant. The curries will definitely please you exquisitely.

• Visited October 2012