“Ignore the bad reviews! Great location & lovely rooms!” 5 of 5 stars

Casaesvael
Corso Cavour 16, 37121 Verona, Italy   |
Ranked #166 of 353 Verona B&B and Inns
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Ignore the bad reviews! Great location & lovely rooms!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here last weekend for two nights at the start of our trip to Italy - we were a little worried by some of the negative reviews but thought the rooms looked really interesting and the location was great - we were right! Easy to find, perfect location for seeing all of Verona (its a tiny city so easy to wander around quickly) and great, large, comfy rooms. The bathroom is listed as not being ensuite but was right next to our room & not shared with other guests so is basically ensuite! The shower was the most powerful shower I have ever had anywhere in Italy (this country is not great for power shower fans!) And the free espresso machine in the public room was a great addition. The owners were very helpful & let us check in hours earlier than their normal check in - there is free WiFi and although the breakfast is from a cafe around the corner it is well worth the walk! Great coffee and awesome croissants etc...we were gutted we had to leave before they opened on the 2nd day! Would definitely recommend and will stay again if we are ever in Verona!

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The bedroom we had was lovely and the whole apartment really did look great. It was great to have tea and coffee-making facilities in the room! The venue You have to go to the café around the corner fro breakfast so this may not suit everyone as there is no bottomless coffee or help yourself: one coffee and a couple of (very nice) croissants!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Shanghai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Really nice house, very clean, very nice decor, really nice location...everything really nice.
BUT personally I didn't like much that doesn't exist a front desk and that you are left alone in the house with the people of the other rooms. The service was ok (breakfast and welcoming) BUT the price of the room (mine it was with the bathroom) from my point of view was a bit too much for the offer.
So, I could suggest this B&B, but I would not recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Good position, clean, quite and elegant. Wery comfortable double bed.
Free tea and coffe inside. Breakfast was in a bakery near the hotel. It was not too substantial.
What I disliked is a noisy pump in a bathroom. It was hell. While my wife took shower in the morning, I wanted to sleep, but I couldn't. This pump made a loud periodical noise.
Wi-fi nearly didn't work in my room. To use it, I had to seat near the room's door. It worked fine only in lobby.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms with outside bathroom. There is no noisy pump, so you'll sleep well.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Pros: Great Location - only 5 minutes walk from the amphitheater and pretty much in the centre of the city. It was also very clean and well presented.

Cons: Owner was offsite - this meant that you had to turn up at the time arranged the previous day, otherwise you had to contact them by mobile. It also meant that you had to deal with the electrical problems when it went wrong. We were told on the first day where the fuse box was, on the off-chance that the electricity went. I assumed that to be a slim chance. Boy, was I wrong. The electricity went seven times during the first night and five times the second night. With air-con being needed during the hot spell, sleeping was impossible without it. It meant having to get up in the middle of the night to get the electricity working. As a result, I got no sleep either night I was there. It was easier to sleep during the day, as people were out then and there wasn't a problem with the electricity as a result. We complained about it and said it wasn't good enough for the money we paid and asked for compensation - the answer was a shrug of the shoulders, to indicate that the answer was no, and we were told that they couldn't do anything about the electricity problem, as it was the weather's fault. Another con was breakfast - this was in a really nice cafe around the corner. But what we were given was anything but breakfast. A couple of nice small pastries. Enough to leave us hungry for the rest of the day and certainly not sufficient for the money we paid.

In summary, this place has potential due to its location and it's cleanliness. But as a B&B it didn't work for us, as B&B stands for bed and breakfast. We got a bed, but no sleep. We got breakfast, but very little. I'm afraid this is not good enough for the price we paid.

I don't like giving such a poor rating, but our stay was a disaster. It is probably worth staying outside the summer months when air-con is not required.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
elisabettafranzini, Proprietario at Casaesvael, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
I'm sorry for this given by friendly too hot, unfortunately I could not do anything to the current because it is a practice with long, now I gave myself to do to resolve this problem for next summer there will be no such problems, regarding breakfast does in a pastry shop on the corner very close with three possibilities of choice where include capuccino coffee juice Croissant etc.
Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We arrived at the Casaesvael last weekend to spend two nights as we had tickets for the opera. All seemed well and we checked in happily and settled into our room. Then the nightmare began...very suddenly the electricity went off which required a trip all the way downstairs, into the small courtyard, find the fuse box and reset the fuses (the owners aren't resident). As I did this sparks came out of the fusebox and I wasn't happy. This whole process then continued at 10 minute intervals with guests taking in turns to reset the fuses. I managed to get hold of the owner eventually and we were relieved (thanks to Booking.com) to get a full refund and a relocation to the Mastino Hotel (great) close to the arena. Check this is sorted before you book. Nightmare!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Even with these guests and it was the same problem as it was for the same period next summer will be all sorted out, I am sorry I did not know of the problem since I had found the structure recently, and they told me the problem.
Dundalk, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

While the bed and breakfast is located close to the arena and the rooms are beautiful we won't be staying here again. We were only in Verona for 1 day and a night at the Opera we were shown our room, which was lovely, given keys all the doors and vouchers for breakfast at a cafe around the block, we were told the cleaning lady would be in at 10am. We paid the man and he then showed my husband were the fuse box was incase the electric went out! We headed off to explore Verona. I can't get over how very close together all the major attractions are! We headed back to our room around 11pm and turned on the air con. This was very noisy, but needed as it was still 24 degrees. I headed to the bathroom which was adjecent to our room off a communial corridor. I was only in the shower 5 minutes when the power went, the room was pitch black! We got the power going again and searched for a torch or candles incase it happened again, and 15 mintues later the power went. The next morning off we went in search of the bakery with our vouchers. They were very nice, but with only 3 options and you paid for any extra yourself, I didn't think this was good enought for what we paid for. The bathroom is very narrow and you do have to climb a couple of flights of stairs to get to the Bed and Breakfast, and you will need to contact them the day before to ensure someone is there to let you in.

Room Tip: Loads of hotels and bed and breakfasts nearby.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We are talking about the same August period that was very hot, and I feel sorry for these guests but the problem will be solved for next summer, regarding breakfast doesn't seem that doesn't deserve the price that you pay for accommodation, there are 3 bathrooms each for their own rooms, the B & B is on the first floor I don't think is a flaw

Been to Casaesvael? Share your experiences!