“Awful Awful Awful - avoid unless no other options!” 1 of 5 stars

Residence San Zeno
Regaste San Zeno, 3, 37123 Verona, Italy   |
Ranked #292 of 327 Verona B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Awful Awful Awful - avoid unless no other options!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

As many of the other reviews write this is a beautiful building in a excellent location however the price is way too high considering. The actual décor and layout of the building has a very vintage feel to it however unfortunately the same can be said about the actual rooms.

The owner/receptionist as described is extremely grumpy, speaks no English, and will take cash only which was a real pain in our experience.

I would like to say there is better options for the price you pay and it's a real shame because with a few simple improvements this could be a much better hotel

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

13 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
St. Neots, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This should be a fabulous hotel as the location is good and the building beautiful. And possibly 15 years ago it was but now the decor is faded, bathroom needs refurbishing, nothing as clean as it should be. The owner is unwelcoming, speaks no English and insists on cash only.
For this the price is far far too high.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Excellent location. Beautiful property from the XV century. Free parking in the yard.

Price way too steep for what you get. Wifi does not reach the rooms, only in public areas. The owner is rather grumpy, absolutely unwelcoming. When I arrived she was not there and the staff could not check me in in her absence. Had to wait 15 min and when she arrived she almost scolded me for my asking to be checked in. There is a big sign (in Italian) behind the counter "Credit cards not accepted" whereas in fact they do accept them, very reluctantly, if you insist. My room (n.21) was smallish and tired. The bathroom is way past expiration date. My TV (a small old tube set) did not work. Lights were rather weak. Small bed. Continental breakfast is OK, fresh croissant and bread, but nothing hot (eggs, etc). Juice from cartons, not fresh. Coffee was lukewarm and tasted awful. I asked for an espresso and it was no better.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Rijeka
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

The room was horrible. Dirty. Old. Smelly. Cold. With spider under my pillow. There was no curtains – window was covered with the blanket, the same as it was on the bed! Don't believe to their 'official' photos!

The owner is playing the role of 'receptionist' as well - she's old and very rude, yelling at her guests and cheating them, especially if you are foreigner, she doesn't (want to) speak English. She charged me 450 euro for 2 nights stay (150 credit card, 300 cash) and gave me the receipt written in hand (?!?), on the total amount of 300 euros. 'Non ti capisco niente. Se voi parlare con me, parli in Italiano', says the lady when I ask her for the receipt on 450 euros. She suddenly forgot English language.

She was ignoring everything what I was talking to her, as long as the words where English. I was standing there, trying to get at least a proper receipt, but she was not even listening to me – she was talking on the phone, writing some notes, ignoring me and everything what I was telling her. My Italian is really not so good, but I even tried to ask her 'la ricevutta', threating with finance inspectors that I will call, but it doesn't changed anything. At the end, lucky for me, there arrived 3 elder Italian guests, waiting for their check-in, and the lady (obviously afraid of witnesses), suddenly wrote me another receipt for the 150 euros difference.

This was enough for me. I went back to my room, called couple of other hotels from booking.com site, found the one available (although 30 km far from the Verona, but I was ready to take my chance – really, could it be worse than this one? Finally, at least the owner sounds polite on the phone… I took my unpacked bag and went back to the reception ‘Miss, I’m very sorry, but I simply can’t accept your rude behavior and your freezing hotel, I’m leaving.’ Suddenly, she understood English – ‘No problem’, she told me. She made one telephone call, making fun of me with that person on the phone, and finally told me: ‘You get 150euro back.’ I was shocked! ‘How do you mean 150euro? I’ve paid you 450 euro! ‘Oh, well – you already gave me your money, and I’ll simply won’t give it back to you. You can get 150. TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT’, she was yelling on me. I was on my knees, trying to convince myself that this is not happening to me… ‘OK, Miss, I’m surrendering. I’ll stay in your hotel tonight, I’ll take all the extra blankets to warm myself, I simply have to sleep. It was physically and emotionally exhausting day for me, I don’t have the straight to fight with you anymore. But I’m telling you now – I’m leaving this hotel first thing in the morning.’ ‘NOOOO YOOOUUUU AREEEEE NOOOOT LEEEAVING!!! Or you can – but if you do so, I will give you NO MONEY back! Nothing at all!!!’

To make this awful story shorter, I will tell you this - for 3 days I was trying to avoid the hotel (and the owner) as much as possible – sleeping for just a couple of hours there, trying to resist the awful smell and coldness of my room. On Friday, early in the morning, after bringing my keys back to reception and getting neither thank you nor good bye, I left the hotel with the bitter taste in my mouth, that I’ve paid 450,00 euro.

And final info for all of you that are thinking about booking this hotel - PLEASE DON'T DO THAT!!! If you don't believe me, read other rewievs on Booking.com, check also comments on Tripadvisor - everybody are using almost the same words: DIRTY - SMELLY - RUDE - YELLING - CHEATING (especially foreigners).

And one more thing: Booking.com has switched the rewievs of Residence Antico San Zeno and Residence San Zeno - on the day of my booking, this hotel was rated as fabolous - that was the reason why I've booked this hotel! They published rewievs of Residence Antico as rewievs of Residence!!! (and altough I have a photo of the web page, Booking.com doesn't want to accept their responsibility - I will not give up from fighting for my rights, especially since booking.com always was my favorite tool for finding accomodations - and my travels are not rare!).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Barcelona, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

The location is not bad and when the large door opens to the patio, hope filled my heart. Not for long though. The lady in charge of this "hotel" does not speak a word of English and gets very irritated very quickly when you try to communicate in your best Italian / Spanish / hand signs.

There's a notice behind her old desk saying "we don't accept credit cards" but they actually do if you say you can only pay that way. The rooms have probably not been updated in 30 years and are completely tattered, torn and musky. My rooms was slightly tilted, featured five beds in total strewn across the space and dark even with all the little pahetic lights on.

The shower cabin is a throwback to camping sites of the sixties. Wifi did not reach my room. Very mediocre breakfast is served in a gloomy dark place.

This would all be fine for EUR 80 a night but paying EUR 180 per night, this is as good as daylight robbery gets. Stay away if possible.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Residence San Zeno? Share your experiences!