“Really bad experience with violence by the owner.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of S. Aponal - Restorante 1251 Pizzeria

S. Aponal - Restorante 1251 Pizzeria
S. Polo, 1251, 30100 Venice, Italy (San Polo)
Improve this listing
Ranked #863 of 1,131 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Polo
“Really bad experience with violence by the owner.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Really bad service, we had to pay more then the menu said. After asking they went mental and agressive to me and they switched to Italian and we got pushed out of the restaurant. They do not deserve anything, stay away from this pathetic restaurant!

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Stay away!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I'm tempted to give it just one star, but that's a little unfair as the food (pizzas) was OK. And that's about as good as I can go. We looked at the location, the menu and decided that it was nothing special and were about to walk away when one of the waiters assured us that the 12% service charge would be waived...he confirmed this with the owner...and that we would have a really good meal. Against my better judgement, I agreed on behalf of our party. We were pushed hard to order the most expensive items on the menu and then the service became pretty much non existent. Did we want to drink? Yes, a carafe of the house red. We were told this was the best red in Italy. Since I live in Italy and have tasted a fair few Italian reds, this sounded like a pretty tall claim...and not delivered in a friendly, joking manner. It was awful, for the record.....a light somewhat translucent red, with a hint of fizz. The kind of wine sold in roadside Umbrian cantinas for €1-2.00 for a 5 liter flagon! You'd be embarrassed to serve this to your friends.

The bill, I expected to be around €60 for 4 people was €75.....about double what we would expect to pay for far better fare in Umbria, but OK, this is Venice and we know it isn't going to be cheap. Final insult was the €20.00 charge for the worst wine I've ever been served. No service charge? Yeah, right!

Avoid....avoid...avoid.

Visited June 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Okay, but nothing special.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Calamari was tough and violently expensive, house wine was okay. Pasta dishes were good, but overall, meals were expensive. Service was okay, charge card machine was broken and only found out at end of meal. Did bring us some sweet little pastries on the house at end of meal.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Milan, Italy
“best pizza in north italy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

i lived in milan for 1 year and on last day before leaving i had a day trip to Venice. It may sound weird, but the pizza in milan and other northern cities of italy is just disgusting...it seems the tradition is kept only in the south...I had lunch at this restaurant, the pizza was just amazing! didnt expect that!! what i also loved was their appetizer made of pickled olives and mushrooms. i hate olives to start with that, but those just made me drool! very nice place, very nice waiters, most of them from romania :) i loved their service! comparing with the "not really welcoming" Venice people, this place was like a oasis where u can get great food, a nice refreshment and a smile :) ! u wont regret it!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Torquay, United Kingdom
“At last we found the best food in Venice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

It was a celebration for my 60th birthday, yes I'm really that old, hard to believe I know. We were staying at Al Ponte Antico, one of the nicest boutique hotels in Venice, arranged by my wife and my son James. We had spent two awful evenings in two awful restaurants with our friends John and Helen until we were welcomed into this oasis of superb food in a desert of bloated prices and inferior quality. It has taken me a year to track down this restaurant so I could tell you just how wonderful it was.

We were welcomed into the tented restaurant by the son of the patron. Don't be fooled by outward appearances! He and his father made us very welcome and whilst we sat there with the menu munching on bread sticks we noticed just what a good time groups of people around us were having. So many smiling faces and as we watched the food come out accompanied by the patron and his staff we could see why. As we had eaten at lunch we ordered fixed price, three course piatto del giorno which came with a good house wine. A lovely salad starter, a succulent choice of main courses ( mine a fabulous sea-food risotto ) and a luscious sweet, the wine and coffee were of excellent quality, what can I say!

If the food was great it matched the incredible atmosphere generated by this great family run restaurant. The couple on the table near us may well have been getting married but the patron's encouragement with "Here comes the bride" and a candelabra certainly heightened the atmosphere. When it came to paying we explained that we had had bad experiences in Venice with restaurants but would return tomorrow as we were so impressed. He explained that all he wanted to do was keep people happy and have people return to see him.

When we returned we were treated like the prodigal children returning to the bosom of the family. Could they have been kinder ? No. Could the food have been better? Only at vast expense. Could the service and welcome have been better? No. We had the same style of meal as the day before and it was equally excellent.

We will return to Venice next year for a four day and night visit. I'm looking forward to spending four evenings in this welcoming, friendly restaurant with a patron who know how to make great Italian food and run a genuinely great Italian restaurant. If that's what you are after please go there with my blessing.

• Visited February 2013