“Wonderful Seafood and Ambiance” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alle Testiere

Alle Testiere
Calle del Mondo Novo, 5801, 30122 Venice, Italy (Castello)
041 522 7220
Website
Update restaurant details
Ranked #16 of 1,179 restaurants in Venice
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Castello
San Francisco, California
“Wonderful Seafood and Ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stumbled upon this tiny restaurant walking from our apartment. We hadn't looked online for recommendations nor had anyone given us any, so we simply lucked out! This gem of a kitchen provided us with razor clams, mussels, turbot and a mixed appetizer plate of seafood. Delicious!

Turns out that Venice is NOT known for its food, so we were completely blown away by the quality and freshness of the food. The service is delightful and warm. We are going back again!

• Visited June 2013

89% Recommend
Chicago, Illinois
“Part of a Perfect Evening!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

On the day that we had a 7 pm reservation at Alle Testiere, my husband and I also had tickets for the theater (yeah, Venice, a little baroque and opera, and a great dining experience – what more could you ask for?). Anyway, we decided to do a trial run of how far the restaurant was from the theater to make sure our evening plans were manageable. After picking up our theater tickets we walked to the restaurant. They seemed to be just finishing the lunch service and we entered and encountered a soft-spoken gentleman. We explained that we had reservations for that evening and that we also had theater tickets and wondered if we would have sufficient time to enjoy our meal. After checking to see if we did indeed have reservations, he assured us that we would be fine.

We arrived shortly before the doors were opened for dinner, only to find another couple already waiting. When we entered, the soft-spoken gentleman addressed us by name and continued to do that throughout the evening. The staff all works together and although there is one gentleman who basically takes the orders for the 24 seat restaurant, you are likely to encounter everyone who works the front part of the restaurant at one point in the evening.

The restaurant provides you with a menu but diners should be aware that the menu is based upon what was fresh and available that day in the market. We started with the seafood appetizer platter that was delicious and then we each had different delectable seafood main course entrees. We asked our server (with the funky magnetic red glasses ☺) to pair our choices with wine and he did a great job.

I have to agree with the comments of an earlier review. It does not matter if this restaurant receives good or bad reviews, the popularity of this tiny gem will keep it full every day, at every seating. That being said, the food is phenomenal and the staff is professional and courteous (even though they spend a good portion of their evening turning away diners in person and on the phone). Do yourself a favor and book a reservation as soon as you know you are going to Venice…you will not regret it.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
El Dorado Hills, California
“Best dinner in Venice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Alle Testiere lives up to its reputation! The food is amazing, staff delightful and the ambiance unmatched. Reservations are a must but this restaurant should not be missed in Venice! We were traveling as a group of 10 and they were able to accommodate us (with a few months notice). Our children even thought this was the best meal in Venice!

• Visited June 2013
PatNC
“Best dinner in Venice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I had heard that it was difficult to get a good meal in Venice, but Alle Testiere was proof that this is not so. The restaurant is small and it filled up soon after it opened, and my husband and I quickly found out why. The menu had a number of seafood options, and both my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The service was also exceptional.

Visited May 2013
New York
“Gracious Hosts, Wonderful Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Whoever says the food in Venice doesn't hold up to that of other regions in Italy has never been to Alle Testiere. In fact, of all the cities we visited this trip - Venice, Bologna, Florence, Vernazza and Milan- I dare say we had our best meals in Venice, and Alle Testiere was the star. Yes, the reservation system may have its glitches (I stopped by the day before to confirm and they couldnt find it, but provided me with a table nonetheless). Living in NYC, I've had the chance to dine at some exceptional restaurants and restaurants started by alum of places like Daniel, Babbo, and Le Cirque. Alle Testiere's preparation of seafood is of the highest standards. The menu changes depending on what is fresh and available. We shared a squid appetizer which was grilled to perfection - its a very hot dish in NYC now and yet nothing I've had here compares. I had a ravioli dish with shrimp which likewise was excellent- sweet tender yet not underdone shrimp (very hard to achieve) and mouthwatering sauce. The wine list is also very good with a nice range of prices. The dining room is small and intimate and decorated in a simple, classy manner. An outpost of a popular Roman restaurant just opened in my NYC neighborhood, and I so wish AT would consider doing the same! Just writing about it has me now wanting to go back, such a shame its' so far away!!!

• Visited April 2013