I'm going to keep this short as I'll probably be echoing the sentiments of most of the other reviews, but just to mention five things:
1. Arriving to the hotel's private entrance on the Grand Canal by water taxi from Marco Polo airport is something we'll never forget - a proper James' Bond moment. (And also worth doing as the hotel would be impossible to find on foot unaided, it's very tucked away).
2. Very cool, sumptuous rooms that felt Venetian without being too overblown and chintzy - this also applies to the decor of the whole hotel
3. Breakfast was fantastic, with a very generous range of delicious pastries, hot drinks, fruit, yoghurt etc, served to your table rather than a buffet. It's also relatively rare to find a Venice hotel where such a delicious breakfast is included in the room rate
4. The location of the hotel is excellent - it puts you in walking distance to all the main areas whilst being sufficiently removed from the main drag to mean there's a few good value local restaurants close by (Muro, a pizzeria just round the corner, was very good)
5. The service in the hotel was just right - the concierge booked us a restaurant on Murano that on first glance seemed to be a lunch spot for local workers, but on eating, served amazing seafood for the fraction of the price you would find elsewhere. In addition, the bar service in the hotel was impeccable. We had an aperitif (Aperol Spritzer, a Venetian must-try) in the hotel most nights before going out - the prices were not heavily 'hotel weighted' as they often are, and the drinks were very well prepared.
So, all in all, an excellent stay in a city where it's very easy to get ripped off or feel disappointed. It's rare that I come away from a hotel feeling that it was worth every penny, but this one is definitely an exception. The location, ambiance and fantastic service - if you like low key but luxurious hotels, this one is definitely worth it.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, MrandMrsSmith, Priceline, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, Escapio, TripOnline SA, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Palazzo Barbarigo Sul Canal Grande reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.