“Basic, but all you need, and the location is great” 4 of 5 stars

Albergo al Gobbo
Cannaregio 312, 30121 Venice, Italy (Cannaregio)   |
Ranked #284 of 383 Hotels in Venice
London, United Kingdom
“Basic, but all you need, and the location is great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This has to be one of the best value for money hotels in Venice. It's clean, tidy, located not too far from the train station but also in a nice town square (with plenty of bars and restaurants nearby).

The hotel is a little dated, the rooms are basic, but for the money, I don't think you can do much better in one of the world's most expensive cities to visit.

Please note that this is a small family run hotel, it's quite intimate. If you are used to Hiltons then you might find this experience a little bit more personal.

We read a few negative reviews of the staff at this hotel, and we were a little apprehensive. For us (a young married couple), we found the staff wonderfully friendly and professional. Reading the reviews, yes, perhaps it's not a good idea for young single girls who are not assertive to stay there, but for us, we found the hotel absolutely perfect and felt comfortable all round. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sundbyberg, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel is located at Campo San Geremia, which is about 10 minute walk from the bus station and 5 minutes from the train station and Ponte Scalzi. It's tucked in at the northern corner. We were met by Alessandro (Alex) and he was very welcoming, but in a polite and professional manner. We had no reservation but was giving a great room on the first floor with a view towards the square and the beautiful church.

Our room was quite large with a private bathroom. What surprised us was the cleanliness when we considered how little we payed compared to other places we've been too. In the morning we had continental breakfast at the hotel served by the cleaning staff which seemed to be two very efficient ladies. The breakfast was like any other continental breakfast and you had choice of coffee so I recommend espresso if you want a bit of strength.

We stayed 3 nights and we had no issues at all. The hotel was great and the staff was great. If in Venice on a budget, I would highly recommend it. Finally, wireless internet is included in the price which is a great bonus.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I read some of the comments left by other women and I am a bit surprised, so I decided to write a review as well. :)
I am sorry if anyone had a bad experience, however I stayed in al Gobbo last year in May, when I was on a road-trip in Italy and everything was fine.
Stopping in Venice was a last minute decision (I was on a motorbike and on my own) heading for Treviso. I speak Italian, so perhaps it makes things easier. I asked for an inexpensive, but a clean and a safe place and Al Gobbo had it all. It was recommended to me by a receptionist in a hotel that was more expensive.
Depending on one's cultural background, Alessandro (the receptionist in al Gobbo) may seem a bit too friendly, which is pretty common for Italians, but my impression was that he was harmless. I concur he may suffer from Asperger's and it was noticeable right at the check-in.
I also accepted his invitation for an aperitivo and dinner in the neighboring restaurant, because I wanted to return the favor for a good accommodation price. Everything was OK, he was friendly and polite and just curious about where I was from and why I was travelling on a motorbike alone. I didn't feel uncomfortable and I don't think that I look scary or aggressive. :))
So to sum it up, I'd recommend this place to couples on budget or solo travelers who are looking for a last minute place to stay in and who want to be close to the train station, Piazzale Roma or 15-min away from Rialto.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Watford UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We were quitting a disappointing expensive hotel (Chiara) and this seemed ideal: central, cheap, spotless. Alessandro is rather 'effusive', and I wish i hadn't invited him to my room to check the TV, but he was easily pushed away. My female cousin and I had a single room each, and were very comfortable. We were fairly convinced Alessandro has Asberger's, rather than being really menacing, but if you're worried and not feisty, be warned.
Breakfast was simple but ok, bread and jam, but for the price and position, it was fine. I'd use it again - but with my husband!
Restaurant downstairs was good but expensive, and the waiter there took a persistent shine to my cousin! And we are 2 ladies in our fifties!! What a visit!

Room Tip: Rooms at front above restaurant, but quiet if you close shutters and windows. Rooms at back overlook...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Curitiba, PR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

despite the weird manager it is very well located, the beds are just ok to sleep after a whole day walking...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Heredia, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

I wish i had seen this reviews before, I stayed here because my trip to venice wasn't planed out well and by the time i got there everything was, either booked or too expensive. I found this hotel... got the room and left to see the city, by the time i got back to the hotel, the weird manager was trying HARD to get me to stay with him, he tried the kissing and touching thing. Sadly for me it was too late and couldn't leave, so I had to stay there (by the way, I was the only guest in the hote in a city that was fulll) and end up paying for a place where I couldn't sleep thinking the worst, and couldn't enjoy properly the beautifull Venice. It is not worth going through that for a good location. I do NOT recommend it

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Dublin Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

My friend and I stayed here for 3 nights. We were made very welcome. Alex was very kind and helpful. Really looked after us.
.Rooms were spotless with ensuite. Comfortable beds soft pillows. It is close to resturants and shops. The hotel is quiet, but when you step outside there is a buzz. Not a noisey buzz just visitors enjoying the sights. An old church and water feature from the window. I highly recommend this hotel. Not just for location but for the welcome.
Mary Dublin

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Albergo al Gobbo? Share your experiences!