“Super Location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Palazzo Stern

Save Saved
You added Hotel Palazzo Stern to your Saves list
Hotel Palazzo Stern
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dorsoduro 2792-2794/A-2792/B, 30123 Venice, Italy (Dorsoduro)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #13 of 382 hotels in Venice
Williamsburg
“Super Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

A good value for the money. Great location and very convenient for walking or public water taxi. We split our time walking to everything we wanted to see and other times caught the Number 1 taxi right outside the hotel.
Hotel has no restaurant, but that was ok as we like to find "local" places to eat. Breakfast was fresh and pots of coffee kept on coming. Housecleaning was a bit spotty in that one day there were towels delivered in the afternoon and other days they were not. We had a room upgrade with window view. Room was comfortable and clean. Shower was interesting to say the least. My wife had to get someone up to show her how it worked. All the rooms are different and makes the hotel very interesting. Staff was very helpful and was able to book us a reasonable price for dinner and boat to view the fireworks display at the annual Redentore festival.

Room Tip: Don't know if the hotel has rooms overlooking the canal, but that could be noisy with all the ca...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

1,064 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

What a wonderful experience, staying at the Palazzo Stern in the Dorsoduro area of Venice. It is hard to decide what I liked the most about the place: The elegant, old-fashioned decor (including priceless Murano chandeliers, even in our room), the way everyone who works there is eager to help you and make your stay a pleasant one, the beautiful piazza on the front of the hotel where the water of the Grand Canal laps gently against the side, the convenience of having breakfast right at the hotel, the fact that the vaporetto stops maybe 20 feet from the front door.... Then, there is the small campo behind the hotel (right down the alley to the left of the side door) with cute shops (stop and see the friendly, friendly man at the FIAT/Vespa store--cute bags and unique souvenirs) delicious gelato at GROM (dark chocolate...omg), Oniga's gnocchi, and the beautiful Murano glass jewelry shop next to GROM. On the way there, the T-shirt shop on the right side of the alley has some unique things, and will make you any color/size/combo you desire.

No review of the Palazzo Stern would be complete without mentioning Denis from Venice, the bartender. I read many reviews prior to going that mentioned him. What a great guy! We discovered that he works 3 jobs and commutes an hour to the Palazzo Stern. In spite of this grueling schedule, he will enthusiastically tell you about the history of Venice, bring you tasty drinks that he conjured up himself with the freshest ingredients, and even gave us some delicious biscotti to nibble. He never gave any indication that he was looking for a tip--none of the employees at the Palazzo did--but he really deserves one. As do the maids, whom we never saw--but they left our room spotless every day, whether we slept in or got up early.

I had to talk my Mom into spending a little bit more on the Palazzo Stern (she asked me, "Isn't there a Best Western?" lol), but I feel it was well worth it. It is a beautiful, restful place, great location, superb service, and gives you a real flavor of Venice. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 501. It did not have a view of the canal, but with the piazza right out front, I d...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Tervuren, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I booked a trip to Venice to celebrate my wife's special birthday and chose the Palazzo Stern largely on the basis of other travellers' reviews. We were not disappointed! The Palazzo Stern is an architectural jewel of an hotel, ideally located on the Grand Canal. It can be reached directly from the airport either by the Allilaguna boat service or by private water taxi. You literally step off the boat and into the hotel, having enjoyed what must be one of the most scenic arrivals of any city anywhere.
Apart from its ideal location, the Palazzo Stern has spacious rooms with all modern amenities, classic Venetian decor and a lovely terrace overlooking the bustling Grand Canal. The surrounding Dorsoduro area was also a great discovery. It is full of life and has plenty of bars, restaurants and small shops, while not being overrun with tourists. Above all, however, what made our trip special was the unfailing attentiveness, courtesy and genuine friendliness of all the staff of the Palazzo Stern - without exception. Thank you all very much for making our stay a memorable one! We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Robertino3, Direttore at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very nice review. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcome you again here in Venice. Have a great day!

Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We arrived in Venice on our 30th wedding anniversary in a manner befitting 007, a private wooden motor boat ( a must). We pulled up to Hotel Stern and were greeted by a warm and very accommodating staff. We mentioned our milestone to the receptionist and went to our room. A well appointed space with a safe and windows overlooking the canal that was featured in the movie The Italian Job. Venice is a walking city but should you need the "the water bus" it is right outside your door. Breakfast, except for some very persistent pigeons is on a beautiful terrace overlooking the the Grand Canal. The food is plentiful and the cappuccino delicious.
After a day of sightseeing we returned to find a bottle of Persecco in our room with best wishes from the staff at this beautiful hotel.
One word of caution, close the shutters when drying off from your shower, the neighbor is only a canal away! A truly wonderful experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very nice review, I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us!
I look forward to welcome you again here in Venice, have a great day!

Nice, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Venetian soul of the place. Palazzo classic but high quality. Kindness and professionalism of the staff. Superb benefits. Full breakfast on a terrace with fantastic overlooking the Grand Canal and Palazzo Grassi.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very kind review. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcome you again here in Venice.

Warmest regards,

Western Cape, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

If you want a real life experience of what it must have been like to live in a Palazzo this is it. Stunning period decor and furnishings. You will feel like you have been invited into someone's house 100 years ago. We stayed in room 406 and kids in 403. 406 faces over Grand Canal and is spacious. The hotel went through a refurb and bathrooms are new which is what you want! Location ideal right next to water bus stop. Only real negative is the breakfast which is limited. Not even real orange juice. So if you want an ideally located, interesting hotel just to sleep in then this is perfect.

Room Tip: Room starting with a 2,3,4 are better I think. Those on ground floor (1s) are right next to receptio...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very kind review, I'm happy you enjoyed your stay and your room.
I don't agree with you concerning the breakfast. Compared to any other breakfast service you can find here in Italy, our is more than complete. We have all the things of a continental breakfast, home made cakes and pastries, eggs (any way you want) bacon (any way you want) cheese, salami ham, etc... Also, if you wanna have something else you just have to ask.

We have orange juice, I mean REAL orange juice. But it's not on the buffet, it's made at fresh at the moment so you have to ask for it.

As you wrote, staying with us il like be invited in someone's house of 400 year ago (not 100...). You have to feel and act in this way, so don't be shy! if you would like to have something special just ask, you will be accomplished.

Warmest regards,

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I love this hotel more than words can say, its everything a romantic dream of a home in Venice could be! I stayed here on my surprise "birthday" weekend, and by the second night of my weekend, I came back to the hotel as an engaged woman! Its an incredibly beautiful hotel, with attentive staff. The place is like something from a Shakespeare play, almost what you can imagine it would be like, except with modern amenities such as the coffee machine and TV etc.

This hotel will always hold a special place in my heart for the rest of my life. I will return many times in the future I'm sure and will hold a big place in the story of how I ended up getting married when I tell it to my Grandchildren of the future!

Thank you to all the staff at Hotel Palazzo Stern, you run a great place, beautiful, exquisite and quite simply - perfect!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Buongiorno!

Thank to you for this wonderful review! And congratulation again!!!

:o)

Have a great day!!!

Roberto

Been to Hotel Palazzo Stern? Share your experiences!