“Wonderful hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Palazzo Stern

You added Hotel Palazzo Stern to your Saves list
Hotel Palazzo Stern
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dorsoduro 2792-2794/A-2792/B, 30123 Venice, Italy (Dorsoduro)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #12 of 383 Hotels in Venice
San Jose, California
“Wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

My stay at Palazzo Stern was very wonderful. The staff was very friendly and helpful even before we got there, I had a few questions before I arrived and I emialed them; they were quick to respond and extremely nice and helpful. The hotel is in a good location, and the room was clean, spacious, and very nice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very nice review.
I'm happy you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcome you soon again here.

Warmest regards,

Roberto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed at the lovely Palazzo Stern from 15th-18th April in adjoining rooms 301 and 302.
We had a great time here and would wholeheartedly recommend it to friends and family.
Lovely helpful staff, and very attractive and comfortable rooms. We were at the back of the hotel which was quiet and peaceful. The 2 rooms were adjacent which was ideal for our family group.
Lovely breakfasts, great choice and all fresh and nicely presented.
It was an ideal location and I liked being in Dorsoduro. Still near to St Marks and other well known sights but this side was quieter and we loved sitting in Campo San Barnaba watching the world go by.
If we come back we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We didn't have a view of the Grand Canal which we would have liked but we couldn't afford a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very nice review! I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcome you again here.

Just a quick note (to avoid any confusion with other potential guests): your rooms where deluxe not superior!

Thanks again, have a great day!

San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I have to assume the extremely positive reviews below are for rooms facing the canal (which is what I’d thought I’d reserved). My $599 for one night in room 506 (booked through American Express six months in advance) purchased a room that was much too warm when we checked in and could not be cooled down. This was bad in mid-April, must be a nightmare in the summer.

If the air conditioning functioned, and the front desk assured me it was, it was not apparent and it had no effect. Two separate trips to the front desk to plea for help accomplished nothing, other than an assurance they could manage the temperature from their computer, which was at best inaccurate. This top (third) floor room had a high ceiling, which doubtless added to the problem, and might be an issue in other top floor rooms.

The staff was pleasant. The terrace was nice. Breakfast was perfectly ordinary, but satisfactory. Having a vaporetto stop at your doorstep is awesome. But your hotel is first of all a room.

The temperature problem might have been mitigated, at least in April, if the windows would open, but they don’t. The view is virtually non-existent, as there’s no glass on the bottom half of the windows. If you don’t stand at the window to look out, you could just as well be in Kansas (or Frankfurt or Belo Horizonte). My vision of a room with an open window or balcony overlooking the Grand Canal wasn’t even close.

The angled beams inside are attractive, but a threat to your head, especially in the bathroom, where using the toilet becomes a risk. The shower is European high-tech, a bit baffling to an American, but equipped with overhead spray, handheld spray, and jets on either side. Except for the handheld intermittently leaking purely hot water on my hand, the shower was fine.

There are other technology quirks, like in-the-wall audio that nominally provides five pre-selected channels, but these seldom worked. The TV had few channels. It took a while to match switches to lights. Few outlets are available (we only found two) for those with many phones and iPads. These are not serious problems, but potential annoyances for some.

Based on this experience and the other reviews here, I would expect staying in a room facing the canal might well be worth the cost. My AVERAGE rating overstates my experience, which was poor, but to rate the whole property as poor would be misleading. However, if you stay here, I suggest requesting the hotel to close the drapes before your arrival, just in case the day is warm and you are assigned room 506.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Buongiorno!

I'm sorry that you didn't like your room. I can understand that your expectations where different, but this is what has been reserved. That's why we always suggest to contact the hotels directly.

Also the rate you paid doesn't seem the same you pay when you book directly...

Room 506 is very nice, we had hundreds of guests there and all of them has been happy.

The air conditioning was working, we never had any trouble with it. I just double check it and it works just fine. Also in the mid of april the external temperature (unfortunately) was not that warm.

In any case I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay. I hope to have the chance to have you here again in the future, I'm sure that we can find a room that you may like.

Warmest regards,

Lugano, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Our first stay at Palazzo Stern included a luxurious room with large bathroom. Friendly smiling staff. Superb location with a view upon Canale Grande. It was all most comfortable and easy. To be surely considered for your holiday particularly if you appreciate a smaller hotel without all of the confusion and offers a quiet and good nights sleep.

Room Tip: A room with view of Canale Grande if within your budget.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Buongiorno!

I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us!
Thank you for this very nice review and have a nice day!

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Steps away from a water bus stop, Hotel Palazzo Stern is in the heart of central Venice without the liability of being noisy and crowded. Two minutes' walk through a charming alley takes you to the throbbing part of town. It is housed in a well kept Moorish style building with nicely appointed guest rooms of very comfortable size. Its staff are very friendly and professional. Breakfast on the terrace overlooking the Grand Canal allow the ultimate Venice experience. This to me is the ideal place to stay in Venice!!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very nice review!
I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us. But the picture is not from our hotel!!!

Have a nice day,.

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We aren't first time visitors to Venice, but it was the first visit for my Dad, who was celebrating his 83rd birthday. We have had a wonderful time, not least because this is the loveliest of hotels to stay in. It is beautiful, with very comfortable rooms and the most lovely terrace right on the Grand Canal for breakfast, afternoon tea and evening drinks, and also has the nicest and most helpful staff.
And the situation has been ideal too, right next to the vaporetto stop, a hop skip and a jump from great local restaurants, bars and ice cream shops.

Room Tip: Take the water taxi from the airport for a stress free transfer right to the door, go to tourist inf...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very kind review.
I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcome you again soon. Have a great day!

Brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed here to celebrate a special birthday. It really couldn't have been any better. We had their suite and the extra room had been set up beautifully with a cot for our infant daughter when we arrived. The view was onto one of the side waterways and was quiet and peaceful. We only heard a few people outside our room talking but at a reasonable hour in the morning. The whole place feels very civilised. The hotel itself faced the Grand Canal and was very conveniently located next to one of the water bus stops about half way between the Rialto bridge and St Mark's and within fairly easy walking distance of the usual tourist areas. Staff were friendly and went out of their way to help us find things we were interested in and to guide us how to get there. They had also taken steps to mark my wife's birthday which was touching. It's not cheap but a great place to splash out in if you want a treat.

Room Tip: seems not all rooms have a view of the Grand Canal
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very nice review.
I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us! I look forward to welcome you soon again here. Have a nice day!

Roberto

Been to Hotel Palazzo Stern? Share your experiences!