“Great Venice hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Al Codega

You added Hotel Al Codega to your Saves list
Hotel Al Codega
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corte del Forno Vecchio - S. Marco 4435 | San Marco, 30124 Venice, Italy (San Marco)   |
Ranked #34 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles area
“Great Venice hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

Very clean room with good central location, yet very quiet.
We loved our stay for 3 nights

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Turkish first
Beirut, Lebanon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

We stayed one night in al codega hotel; we spent 5 hours searching for it!!!! It is really in a quiet location! It’s a nice hotel, clean and quiet, very romantic, the rooms are so nice and clean, and the breakfast was good!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

Great little hotel. Friendly and helpful staff. A bit difficult to find, but when you get off the vaporetto at the Rialto Bridge stop, look for a porter (fachino). We found one, or rather he found us immediately. For 11 Euros he took all the bags and led us directly to the hotel. Well worth it for not having to trundle your bags over bridges AND trying to find this well hidden hotel. Five minutes to Piazza San Marco and/or Rialto Bridge. One computer in the lounge available to anyone for 2 Euros per hour, but internet service can be very slow and spotty.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

I had a drastically different experience than most reviewers. I am a planner and I vetted this hotel as much as possible. My research proved wrong - or at least wrong in our case.

Venice can be tricky. It is difficult to navigate on foot. It is a challenge to distinguish authenticity in a sea of fake murano. And one must be vigilant not to get ripped off in a swarm of tourists. Alas, this is what we expect... and we love it nonetheless.

Venice was our last stop on an 8 day tour of Italy with a group of 13 adults ranging from 22-65 years old. We booked 7 rooms at the hotel and were very pleased with the price (for Venice!) for a 4* and the prompt email with directions and map to the hotel. The hotel describes in great detail all the different ways you can find your hotel and how much it will cost. Print this out. You WILL get lost trying to find the hotel - but I suspect this is at most small hotels in Venice. So it was all in the charm :)

The hotel is located in a courtyard, desperately needing an update, with small signage. Do not expect a grand hotel entrance. It's more like a side porch door. There is no one in front to assist with luggage or direct you to the nondescript door atop a staircase. Yes, the lobby is on the second floor. After dragging our 13 suitcases up a flight of stairs, we learned of the elevator on the first floor.

After the climb, we found ourselves standing atop each other in the lobby. We are a nice group of people, mostly family.. but for some reason they were very suspicious at the get-go that we were trying to sneak people into the hotel. They asked for everyone's passport and we of course obliged. After 20 minutes the gentleman returned and had trouble finding a few of our passports. We left him to search - we had just been on a train for 3 hours and a water taxi for an hour - we were tired and hungry. I must say that the bellhop was wonderfully courteous and it was a glimmer of hope.

That peace would not last long. Within a few minutes of sitting down in our rooms... a knock at each of our doors by the Front Desk. He was there to count how many people were in the room.I felt as if I was being lined-up for interrogation. Excuse me, but my 65-yr old parents are not trying to sneak someone into your lousy hotel! Please let them relax for a minute!!! After all they did just climb up all those stairs :)

If you do take the elevator after returning from a relaxing evening stroll along the canals, don't think you can escape the BED CHECKS. The elevator is programmed to always stop at the 2nd floor lobby and the front desk stares deeply into the elevator, obviously counting its passengers. I felt like cattle. I felt unwelcome and I felt like going HOME :(

We had to follow up about our passports - as it was not the font desk's priority. Later the Front Desk announced that they had found the missing passports - Oh happy day! He handed back a MALE's passport to my, very FEMALE, sister. He even insinuated that we had given him this other person's passport!! At the end of the day, the passports were found. But the stress was unneeded.

The rooms are typically sized, but small, just needed an update. And In any other hotel it would have been tolerable, but with this level of service, the room felt inhospitable and I felt trapped in the small space.

The bed was okay - the linens were acceptable. I did not feel comfortable during my stay. The bathroom was typically European but there was zero counterspace so my toiletries spent the stay laid out on a towel in the foyer floor. Classy!

There was a breakfast room and it is included in the rate. My parents seemed to enjoy it. 1 Point for Codega. I will also mention that the hotel was properly cleaned - I got the feeling that the hotel is staffed with appropriately courteous and effective porters/housekeepers.

I wanted to like this hotel. I really did - i thought it would be charming- but the cards were stacked high against me.

STAY HERE....If you're going to explore Venice on a budget, and want an average hotel with poor service. Don't bring anyone here if your goal is to impress!

In other news.....
You MUST try a Bellini at Hilton Stucky sky bar. They are the finest I have ever tasted.... In fact, you should probably stay there. They seemed genuinely happy to have us and offered us a complimentary water taxi home, directions and HOSPITALITY!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
alcodega, Proprietario at Hotel Al Codega, responded to this review, October 19, 2010
DEAR FUTURE GUESTS:

By Italian law, all hotels are obliged to register the guests as soon as they arrive in the hotel. We do this by registering the information from the passports. This takes about 10 minutes.

The lift in the hotel stops at the 2nd floor at the reception going up or down, and pauses for a brief moment so the reception staff is able to see who is in the lift. This is for the hotel and its guest's security.

Roberto Dal Borgo
Owner
Hotel Al Codega
maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

Al Codega is a little hard to find because it is off of an alley. Also the streets are not well marked and the pavements are not friendly to roll on luggage.
Staff was very helpful and friendly...although the internet was not operating when we were there, but they said it would be fixed.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

We would definitely stay at this hotel again if we ever get back to Venezia (hopefully!). The location was very good -- between Rialto Bridge and San Marco. The staff was always very pleasant, professional, and helpful. They gave great restaurant suggestions, and attended to any needs or questions we had. The room was nicely appointed and cleaned well. No problems with A/C, which we needed due the the hot temperatures we had at the time. The breakfast was very good as well. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Boston, Ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

There was so much to praise about the hotel -- I join others in noting its central location, superior staff, and great rooms. It is on a quiet side square -- a little hard to find at first -- but the solitude in this busy city is much to be praised. Staff were uniformly curtious and helpful -- they smiled, treated you as a valued guest, and made yoy fell welcomed.
I really saw no down side to staying at Al Codega -- nor will you.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Al Codega? Share your experiences!