“venice on the cheap” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Collegio Armeno Moorat Raphael

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Venice
Collegio Armeno Moorat Raphael
You added Collegio Armeno Moorat Raphael to your Saves list
Dorsoduro 2596, 30123 Venice, Italy (Dorsoduro / Accademia)   |
Ranked #401 of 439 Venice B&B and Inns
Belfast, United Kingdom
“venice on the cheap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

My friend and I stayed here for 4 days when we ran in the Venice Marathon, I booked through venere.com mainly on price (total bill £71.70 for 4 nights accomodation only)
In the days leading up to going I was a bit worried as I,d read alot of negative reviews on Venere, however..

I enjoyed the college, it had character, it was old, it had a great old garden, it was on a canal, it was 5 minutes dander from plaza roma, there was an art exhition, found a local cafe round the corner (not with san marco prices), it was 5 mins to st basilo waterbus stop, there were locals and hardly any tourists to be seen!

The room , ok, it was like a prison cell, it had no curtains , but had a nice roof top view, was on the 3rd floor - 70 steps , try getting down them after 26 miles

Toilets and showers , there were seperate ones for males and ones for females, I had a great shower with plenty of hot after after the marathon

Noise , it was a bit noisy but I came prepared with ear plugs

To sum up, I would not take my wife here as she would kill me, but for people on a budget or perhaps going round Europe it would be an ideal base to stay, also I met some nice people and had a good overall experiance

I will be running the venice marathon again in 2009 and I will be staying in the college again

Bout ye... the seeker of truth and justice!

Stayed October 2007

Watford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

Living in Milan, we decieded to spend a weekend in Venice. We booked a double room in this college. Because it was a last minute decision there was even less choice of budget accomodation in Venice than there usually is.
The college is only about 15 minutes walk to the Rialto Bridge and it is a beautiful walk. Right next to the college is a square full of restaurants and little cafe bars which serve extrelmly cheap delicious Italian wine (1.10 euros a large plastic cup). The more a place looks like a cafe rather than a bar, the cheaper it appeared to be for a glass of wine! So we were very pleased with the location..... but.......
The room was horrible. At first we thought it wasn't too bad. Just like a very basic youth hostel with twin beds and clean sheets and towels. When we went to bed that night we were freezing, the heating was turned off and we shivered all night. There are signs everwhere asking for quiet because the walls are so thin we could hear the guy in the room next door snoring really clearly! The windows are covered with hankerchieves rather than curtains so the light came in really early. This wouldn't have mattered if we had got a good night sleep, but with the noise form other rooms, the bells chiming on the steeple next to the college and the cold we slept terriably, it was a horrible night. The worst thing was deffinitly the cold. We did find some blankets in the wardrobe in the middle of the night but they were really dirty!
The bathrooms are shared. There are 3 girls and 3 mens loos between 20 rooms on each floor. Th girls was far away from our room and i had to walk (run) down a scary dark corridoor to get there. The shower was a cold trickle of water. Supposedly the men's were a bit better! Take flipflops!
This college could be amazing, it had old ballrooms and big stone pilars and big gardens but it is run down and cold and dirty. It was dark and quite scary at night!
This place was horrible to stay in, it was very close to ruining our trip to Venice. Luckily Venice is an amazing beautiful city and we had a fantastic time and spent no time at all in the college.
This college is cheap compared to other accomodation in Venice. If anyone, I would only recommend it to groups of young people going in the warmer weather. Deffinite no for any one that dosn't like lots of stairs and couples!
I won't be going back!

• Liked — Not far from centre and lots cafes/restaurants nearby
  • Disliked — cold, dirty, noisy
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2006

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed, it reminds me of a scene from a scary movie. The hotel is located in Venice Italy the DORSODURO area, which is a good area except for this hideous hotel. When my husband and I got there it looked okay on the outside but as soon as you step in it's like the Twilight Zone. The building is an old high school built in the 1800s and the owners made no attempt in hiding the fact that it's an old high school. Our room is literally an old class room with just a bed, a wardrobe closet, and a desk; no phone, no T.V. The bathroom was disgusting with mildew all over the tiles. I strongly do not recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Collegio Armeno Moorat Raphael? Share your experiences!