“Great Property , but noncooperative staff , rooms not maintained” 1 of 5 stars

Bella Venezia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   San Marco 4701, 30124 Venice, Italy   |
Ranked #197 of 383 Hotels in Venice
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Great Property , but noncooperative staff , rooms not maintained”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Had a not so good experience in this hotel. In-spite of my protest I was given a 2 bedroom apartment about 200 meters away. ( I had read about these bad rooms in trip advisor and actually told the reception Mr Matio the same. He convinced me that the rooms were upgrades and they were suites. And I had nothing to worry.) The rooms were well furnished and thats where it all ended. The phones didnt work for the entire stay I was there. Quite a terrible experience considering I was not staying in the hotel itself. The bathrooms were a night mare , the water taps were loose and we would suddenly get cold and hot water with out warning. On the second day the hot water stopped altogether. One thing about the staff , other then giving good directions , they couldnt resolve my water problem , my phone problem. When we realised that the staff were not helping us with the hot water and phone problem inspite of several complaints I asked them to change my room. At this point they changed my room and probably gave me the smallest room in the entire hotel.

Room Tip: Please dont get carried away with the upgrades and sweet talking staff when you check in , insist on...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is my first review on Trip Advisor and I felt compelled to write it after reading a lot of negative reviews on this hotel which couldn't be further from the truth. I booked this hotel in April for a 2 night stay on August 1-3. I was touring Italy the month of August with my husband and 2 kids. Prior to leaving for my trip, I read some negative reviews- mainly due to an 'annex scam' and so I was concerned what type of room I would get. When I arrived at the hotel, the location was exactly as mentioned in most reviews- between the Rialto bridge and Piazza San Marco. At check-in, I found the receptionist pleasant and she confirmed our room was in the main building. I had booked a quad room for my family at a reasonable rate (most hotels in Venice are pricey) and it was exactly as described on their website- it was a large room decorated with Venetian charm and was divided into 2 sections with a (clean!) bathroom separating both sections. The first section had 2 twin beds with a window overlooking a quiet canal and the other section had a double sofa bed with a window overlooking a quiet street. Each section had it's own phone and flat screen television with satellite channels. The bathroom was spacious and looked newly renovated- towels were fresh, we were provided with 4 robes and slippers which was great. As for the breakfast, it was one of the better hotel breakfasts we had in Italy. They had the usual- fruit, cereal, toast and the most delicious chocolate (Nutella) croissants. The women that worked the breakfast room were so sweet and hard-working. The first morning of our stay, we went down to breakfast a little late and my husband was disappointed there were no Nutella croissants left. Our waitress said she was off the next day but would have her co-worker set some aside for us. Sure enough, the next morning there was a tray of freshly baked croissants waiting for us! I was very pleased with this hotel- the service, room was spacious and clean. I would rate this hotel as a 4 star- it had everything I expected a quaint hotel in the heart of Venice to have and I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: We booked a quad room with canal view- spacious for a family of 4
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed in the 2 bedroom apartment which is not in the Hotel but approximately 200 metres away. It was very nice and the air conditioning worked wonderfully (needed as Venice in August is hot). It was in a very quite laneway with a restaurant below and a convenience store across from it. My only compliant about the room is that it didn't have any glasses, just plastic tumblers. Which are not the best to drink wine out of.
Breakfast was included in our room, we just had to walk over to the main hotel which was fine. The Hotel is in between the Rialto Bridge and San Marco Square - so really handy to all the attractions and transportation.
Staff were wonderful, would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

The hotel has great location close to the centre of Venice (San Marco in particular). I would never consider it being a 4 star hotel , it does 3 at best. The price is though exorbitant. Another inconvinience is that checkin is at 2.00 pm so if you arrive earlier- tough luck.

Room service is virtually non existent. There is no gym, not even a treadmill. The rooms have an old/outdated feel to them. I'd recommend looking at other alternatives which will end up cheaper and better.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great hotel as long as you book a superior room to ensure you are located in the main hotel building - staff good and helpful. Excellent breakfast although opening on time at 07:00 seems a bit beyond them on some days otherwise excellent

Room Tip: Superior rooms all OK
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

my boyfriend and i were happy with the little room we had, however, the receptionist at the hotel was extremely rude, she crossed her arms on her chest whilst you were asking if you could have two passes for two people in the room, and she looked down on you as if you disturbed her for checking out, she was the most miserable and unhelpful staff i have ever come across- she came across arrogant prob felt she was too good to be at the job, it really put us off of going back to the same hotel again. breakfast was terrible and room was small. only good thing was location was ok and room was clean, to avoid rude people dont go there!!!! you dont pay their salary to be treated like second class citizen.. worst receptionist i ever met in my life !!

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I had a reservation for June but unfortunately due to a medical issue I was unable to make my trip. This hotel refused to give us a refund or credit even though I provided confirmation from my doctor.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Bella Venezia? Share your experiences!