“Great location, great property, great staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel a La Commedia

You added Hotel a La Commedia to your Saves list
Hotel a La Commedia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   San Marco 4596/A | Corte Del Teatro Goldoni, 30124 Venice, Italy (San Marco)   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #24 of 383 Hotels in Venice
Vero Beach, Florida
“Great location, great property, great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We spent two nights here and highly recommend it. The hotel is only about 250 yards from the Rialto Bridge vaporetto stop and a block off the Grand Canal. This makes it easy to access for local travel on the Vaporetto system, water taxi's, and the Alilaguna which runs to/from the airport. You are 15 minute walk from Piazza San Marco. The hotel property itself is very good. Rooms well appointed, roomy, quiet. The hotel has a great roof top bar / sun deck for a pre/post dinner drink. Need restuarant recommendations, go to Lorenzo at the desk.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I was extremely happy with this hotel if I ever go to Venice again I would stay here again in a heartbeat. From the reception to breakfast it was class all the way the reception staff were so friendly they made it a point to remember our names and joke with my boys. The rooms were clean and superior to any other hotel I stayed at in Venice. Breakfast was included and it was well worth it the food was terrific very fresh and a great selection. Wifi was free just get the passcode from the desk. If you stay you must give the rooftop bar a try even if you don't drink it's a fantastic view and atmosphere. In summary great hotel do yourself a favor and stay there you won't regret it.

Stayed July 2014
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

For reference, I traveled around Italy for two weeks and stayed in four different hotels in four cities. All of the hotels were in comparable price ranges and were comparable quality.

This hotel was in a great location, and the hotel itself was pretty good. The front desk staff was mostly helpful. I felt our checkin was kind of rushed and they didn't give us all the information (like the wifi password). The wifi was frustrating because I had to enter the randomly-generated username and password every single time I unlocked my phone.

The room and bathroom were spacious, clean, and comfortable. The decor in the rooms is a bit much (not my style!), but that seemed typical of the area. There was no view of anything from the rooms. The bed was actually two twins pushed together, but was surprisingly comfortable. I never noticed the seam in the middle. The beds are firm, which was consistent in all of my hotels in Italy. Sometimes when I would return to the room, it would be warm and stuffy and would take a while for the a/c to cool it off.

Breakfast was exactly what I expected, pretty much the same as all the other hotels. They have a lot of cakes and pastries and then eggs and bacon for the tourists. The food was ok, but I did get a cappuccino that was luke warm. :(

I loved the rooftop bar and bartenders, but I mistakenly thought for some reason that the rooftop deck would have a view of the canal. It did not, but it did have a view of the top of the campanile.

If I were to return, I'd probably try to find a hotel right on the water if possible. If that were not possible, I would return to Hotel a la Commedia.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We only spent one night here. I wish it was many more. From the moment we walked in the door the front desk manager was great. We was a polite gentleman and made us feel welcomed. Later on he even arranged a gondola for us and even walked us there. Then there was Giovanni the bartender. He was so nice it felt like we were family. These two gentleman are PURE CLASS! I just cant say enough about everyone there. We loved it! As for the hotel and room itself. They were awesome too. If you are going to Venice, this is the only and only choice.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I had booked a 3 night stay in this hotel as a surprise for my wife's 50th birthday but unfortunately our daughter became seriously I'll so we had to cancel our trip.
The management of this hotel, despite Expedia pleading our case, refused to reimburse us a single penny of the £600 cost & as there's not a single available room on those days I can only imagine they could have sold them over & over again easily.
Absolutely heartless!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Topanga, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

A La Commedia is conveniently located near Teatro Goldini, close enough to Rialto and San Marcos but just enough off the main road to avoid the tourist mayhem. The staff was very friendly and helpful meeting all our needs, giving directions and suggestions, and the bartender was friendly and didn't mind when the bar was filled with World Cup fans (some who ordered and some who didn't). Our room was on the upper floor in the front, quiet and comfortable. Breakfast each morning was great -- Italian style with lots of variety, fruit, tarts, cheese, meat, great coffee (and scrambled eggs and bacon for those who wanted) -- our waiter Emmanule was friendly and attentive.The room was small but easily accommodated three with a roll in twin. The bed may be harder than most like but I preferred that. The rooftop garden bar is a nice touch and very relaxing. Will definitely stay here on my return.

Room Tip: Higher floors better if in front to reduce street noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We stayed at La Commedia for three nights in Venice the end of June. We were traveling with our teenage children and had requested interconnecting rooms. We had arranged through the hotel for a meet and greet at the airport and was met with a driver who helped get us to the water taxi to the bellservice to the front door of the hotel. Awesome after flying for 19 hours! The hotel had a great centralized location and after a day we were able to wander around Venice and find our way back with ease. Our rooms were interconnecting and wonderful- this is a top class hotel- it would put some of our US hotels to shame. The rooms were beautiful and extremely clean. Breakfast was very nice along with friendly service. They offered a nice selection of hot and cold food choices so that you did not have to eat the same thing every day. The Cappucinos were wonderful! We did have some Internet issues as well but found that we had Internet issues ALL over Italy not just at this hotel. This is a pricey hotel but everything in Venice is pricey- the quality, service, friendliness, cleanliness, rooms - everything met expectations and is worth the price. The only negative experience we had is the "free Murano glass tour" offered through the hotel- we took that, got to the Island had a "Guide" assigned to our family- sat down for a 10 min glass blowing demonstation then ushered into the showroom where he followed us around trying to show us glass peices for thousands of dollars. When he realized we were not in that market we were told we could go to the "gift shop" to purchase glass in our price range ($500 range). Then we were left to fend for ourslelves to figure out how to get off the island and back to the hotel.

Room Tip: Since we were staying for three nights- we paid extra for a "Superior" room and the extra...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel a La Commedia? Share your experiences!