“Great view and quiet location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Vecellio
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cannaregio 5039/B, 30131 Venice, Italy (Cannaregio)   |
Ranked #184 of 383 Hotels in Venice
Singapore, Singapore
“Great view and quiet location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Our staying in Venice is terrific thanks to Hotel Vecellio. Despite it is on the other side of the island, it is having the great sea view and particularly quiet in the night. Sound of sea waves really helped us to have good sleep in the night. And because it was off from those popular tourism places, the restaurants around were having better qualities and more reasonable price, unlike those bistros around the train station just sell you microwave pastas and charge you 12 Euros.

the room was small but clean, the staff was friendly and helpful. Will surely recommand to our friend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Belluno
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

I liked this hotel very much because of the room. It was quite big and well refurbished. The staff is helpful and the location is good. Didn't like breakfast, unfortunately...no fresh cakes or croissant....nothing fresh! I found it very poor.....

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

When we came to check out from the Hotel Vecellio owner Matteo insisted we paid a city tax. This was a surprise to us as we thought we had paid up in full when we booked our break. When we returned home to the UK, we double checked our copy of the accommodation voucher which we had to hand to reception on our arrival at the Hotel Vecellio, only to find that the accommodation voucher included all relevant taxes. So, Matteo if our accommodation voucher included all relevant taxes why did we have to pay a city tax when we checked out? Also, when we booked our break we thought we were booking to stay at the Hotel Vecellio, our accommodation voucher also confirmed this, only to find on our arrival that we were staying in a building 3 streets away. Our first 2 nights in this building we suffered excessive noise from the street and we were moved to a back room for the final 2 nights that proved to be more peaceful.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Matteodevenessia, Owner at Hotel Vecellio, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Good evening,
please cancel this review.
I didn't insisted for paying the city tax, everybody must pay the city tax. The responsability do not inform the guest about local city tax is for the travel agency they booked. Never had troubles like this in 2 years of city tax.
The guests slept at Piccolo Vecellio and not at Hotel Vecellio so the review was made for the wrong place. In the voucher the guests gave me is very clear: Dependance of Hotel Vecellio. The Dependance of Hotel Vecellio (everybody knows) is Piccolo Vecellio.

Please cancel this review because we don't accept judgments about city tax and the clarity od agreements, we have all the papers show from our part everything is clear and correct, our lawyers are ready for moving, maybe it's necessary a review to the travel agency the guests booked.

Matteo Secchi
Kallithéa, Attiki, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

A very nice small hotel, very friendly with a nice breakfast. It serves very nice espresso coffee (not from automatic machine). Warm and nice rooms with a nice view the Saint Michel island. Next to a water-bus stop and very easy to find. We reached it very easy from the airoport, as to is by the see and next to water-bus stops

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed three nights for my wife's birthday and our anniversary which both fall on the same weekend.

Firstly, I'd have to say this isn't a hotel. There's no hot food available at any time, in fact there isn't any food available at all apart from breakfast (which isn't really a breakfast anyway to be honest, and I'll come to that...) there's no mini-bar, no iron and not even a kettle in the room (I'll also come on to this...)
It's more of a clean, nice guest house to use as a base whilst exploring the wonderful city of Venice. If you're expecting the amenities you'd normally expect with a hotel then you will be very disappointed.

We generally only use hotels as a place to sleep, so we're not even too bothered about having some of the finer things you might expect in a more expensive hotel, but what we absolutely do expect to have the basics.
To this end, the first and foremost thing we enjoy about hotels - and i'm sure you'll agree - is a good breakfast to set you up for the day. Sadly, this was the most disappointing thing about our stay. My wife and I have travelled all over the world, and it saddens me to say that this is probably THE worst breakfast we have had anywhere in the world!

Cheap and nasty croissant (pre-packed in plastic, chewy and filled with cheap apricot plastic jam), some salami (slightly curled up at the edges) some cheap packets of jam and a small pot the cheapest yoghurt available does not even constitute a breakfast in my opinion. Even the bread was pre-packed supermarket fayre, cheap and nasty.
I mean, seriously, would it really be so hard to go to one of the MANY fine local bakeries and pay the princely sum of 1 whole Euro for a decent, freshly baked croissant? Or just visit the local supermarket and buy 2 or 3 different boxes of different cereal and some milk? Maybe even some fruit? These things cost very little, but they really are what make your stay enjoyable at a hotel.
After our first day we bought some cereal and ate in clandestinely in our room! :-(

Because we knew the breakfast was so terrible, on our second day (our wedding anniversary) I thought I would just run downstairs and fetch us a cup of coffee each and take it back to my wife in bed and then we'd head out for breakfast some where it was edible.
To my disappointment I was told that it was "forbidden" to have coffee in our room! Something to do with it once costing him "1,000 euro because someone had coffee in the room".
I found this slightly confusing, not to mention slightly insulting and embarrassing. I'm a 34 year old, very responsible adult in Venice with my wife, not a teenager on a lads holiday in a youth hostel in Ibiza! I think I can managed to drink a coffee without painting the walls with it!!
So, Matteo, if you're reading this I frankly don't care what solitary issue you once had in the past, you should trust your customers with a cup of coffee in their room!! It's as simply as that.

It was at this point we noticed that there wasn't even a kettle to make our own coffee. :-(

Anyway, the owner Matteo was nice enough and very helpful with local knowledge etc, the location is great and room was quite nice and clean, which actually makes this low score very frustrating for me as I don't like leaving low score reviews generally.

But If only the owner could see some sense with the small things like offering a decent breakfast, an iron, a kettle in the room etc, and simply trust his customers with a coffee in bed on their wedding anniversary (!) then I'd have been giving him 4 stars today instead of 2. Sorry, Matteo!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We found this nice hotel in internet. As this was our first stay in Venice for more than one day we just loved our stay. We found a nice service. Good breakfast and a really nice rooms. As expected the hotel does not offer large rooms with terrace and others but thats the most lovely thing in Venice...Nice small room, warm, comforable bed, perfect bathroom. We were at the first floor and i just loved watching the laguna from my window at 3h in the morning. We had no problems with noice or anything. If you`re looking for a good hotel, good rooms, comfotable bed and a nice place to sleep while doscovering Venice and it's beauties...Vecellio is your hotel! As everything else...the location of the Hotel is great. We managed to reach from the hotel to Treviso Aeroporto in about 45min...which was simly great for NOT missing our plane ;) To San Marco is round 10min. Greetings from Bulgaria!;)

Room Tip: Well rooms that look to the laguna;)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

You get what you pay for. It's definitely a cheaper option so wasn't so surprised to see the rooms were tiny and bed was the most uncomfortable thing ever. Plus I was freezing (Venice gets so cold at night!) but there were no extra blankets and the blanket there was paper thin. We only spent 1 night there so I sucked it up.
The location is great. You take the water taxi/bus from the airport and it's like the 2nd or 3rd stop. Problem is we couldn't find it. We asked people and showed the address we were given, but no one was able to point us to the right direction. I was only able to find it because I recognized the front off of one of the pics that someone posted to TripAdvisor. The front desk was great and very friendly. But the rooms weren't all in that building by the water. We had to walk with all our luggage a few blocks away to get to another small building that I guess they own and had to figure out ourselves where the room was. No one was in that building so it was creepy, but it was fine.
All in all, it was a good choice for the money. Plus it was convenient because the water taxis were right there by the water so we were able to take them back after walking around Venice (our feet were hurting by the end!).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Vecellio? Share your experiences!