“Cleanliness next to Godliness at the Boccassini” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Casa Boccassini
1.0 of 5 Inn   |   Cannaregio 5295, 30121 Venice, Italy (Cannaregio)   |
Ranked #169 of 439 Venice B&B and Inns
Rome, Italy
“Cleanliness next to Godliness at the Boccassini”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

When I turned off the street and walked up to the entrance, a beautiful little cat came running out to greet me. That just about sums up this hotel to me - a very kind welcome, I was immediately given a free map and advice about seeing the city. The garden is beautiful and although I was there in the spring, I imagine that it is a godsend when things get sultry and stuffy in the summer. There is a very small pool of water and lanterns above where the tables are set outside. The whole place is spotlessly clean. My single room was just perfect for what I wanted - a place to spend the night. I never watch television anyway, so I always feel cable TV is wasted on me. When I hit the bed, I slept like a log for 11 hours! The single room does not have ensuite shower, so I used the common bathroom next door to my room. But no one else seemed to use it while I was there, it too was spotlessly clean, and I had the luxury of a long hot soak in a bath - just what you need after going up and down bridges all day in Venice! Breakfast is very light - rolls, jam and coffee for 5 euros - so I skipped it, but the tables and tableclothes also looked spotlessly clean. Be sure to take a print-out of Google Map when you first go there, as Venice is a mass of small lanes and alleys. On the other hand, unlike many other towns, every street and lane is clearly marked, so as long as you have a map it is virtually impossible to get lost. I thoroughly recommend this hotel, excellent value for money - although I kind of feel I would like to keep this discovery all to myself!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

This is a nice hotel, even walkable from the train station if you don't have much luggage. Staff was very nice, plus they had an adorable cat! The hotel has an inner courtyard; it's nice to see grass and hear a fountain in the midst of a very touristy city. Our room was quite small and we chose the shared bathroom to cut down on cost (we were only there one night). Good option if you want convenience and no frills.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

Imagine a vaporetto ride through the Grand Canal that lets you off a few blocks from Hotel Boccassini. You ring the bell and a wrought iron gate opens onto a cool stone courtyard shaded by an arbor and garden. Simba the wonder kitten pounces on your toes as you sign in. The sweet concierge patiently explains the layout of Venice, the vaporetti schedule, marvelous restaurants nearby - in several languages. You have booked a single, but get a double room with a large sink and two shuttered windows that look over a winding street. The church bells are ringing, a chorus of them, and Italian families stroll past talking talking talking. You have a large shared bathroom - with tub, bidet, sink - but never have to wait to get in. You walk one block to a restaurant with beautiful dry white wine and cuttlefish in black ink sauce (delicious and tender, I swear!). You meet a man at the hotel's scant breakfast who invites you to dinner. You talk and walk all night, but the fool doesn't kiss you. It starts to rain and you stand under the courtyard arbor for protection. The sweet little Simba sneaks into your room and bats at your scarf. In the morning you hop the first vaporetto to the train station and watch the orange walls of Venice disappear.

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

My boyfriend and I arrived at this hotel and were greeted by the hostess promptly. She led us to a room on the main floor of the building that has a window onto the garden where visitors take their breakfast in the morning. The room felt damp and moist as soon as we walked in. I asked if there was another room we could have because the mildewy smell and damp feeling were overwhelmingly bad. We were told there was no other room available. After the hostess left, we decided to make the best of our stay and started to settle in. We sat on the bed and it literally felt wet. I know Venice is a coastal city that is basically sinking into the ocean, but it was ridiculously, uncomfortably damp on the bed. Upon inspection of the rest of the room I found numerous dead bugs smashed into the walls. I found a trail of (very alive) bugs leading from the garden into the room through a broken screen (which we could neither fix nor close). I found a bug in the bed itself along with some hairs (which could not have been mine or my boyfriend's). The mirror in the room had black mould/mildew growing all over it. I am not a picky traveler and basically all I ask for in a room is that it be clean and dry and this hotel failed in both of those respects. Luckily we found a vacancy in another hotel and moved there. Hotel Boccassini refused to refund our money for the night and ruined our first night in Venice. When we told the hostess the state of the room she was full of excuses and was very combative with us. We wanted our money back and I had to fight with her until I was literally crying in the foyer of the building and she still refused to help us. We could not get our money back but decided that we would rather lose 115 Euros than stay in that disgusting hotel. When we arrived at our new hotel it was dry, clean, and 40 Euros cheaper per night than Boccassini and was much closer to St. Mark's Square. Maybe it was just the one room that I was given at Boccassini that was so disgusting, but I would never reccomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2008

This was a quiet, very clean B&B in a quiet part of Venice. The staff was friendly and helpful and the garden beautiful.
Our bathroom was newly renovated, large and elegant, and we had a window onto the garden as well as one onto the street.
It was a great place to stay in busy Venice.

• Stayed April 2008
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2007

I have stayed many times in Venice, in different hotels. This is an excellent choice if you compare price/what you get.
* Friendly people
* always good answers/helpful

Value for money

• Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2007

I had booked a reservation at a different hotel in Venice, and upon arrival there I ran into a few problems, so my husband and I walked down the street o find a new place and we ran into this hotel. I loved it. They were very accommodating from the beginning. They were able to give us a double room with a private bath for an excellent price and since i paid in cash they took 5 euros off each night. The room was simple and very clean, we had clean linens and always had warm/ hot water in the bath. The breakfast set up was very nice and the staff was excellent. I would stay there again in a heart beat

• Liked — It was a perfect place to spend two days sight seeing in Venice
  • Disliked — No Internet
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Casa Boccassini? Share your experiences!