“my best stay in venice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Almaviva House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Venice
Almaviva House
You added Almaviva House to your Saves list
Fondamenta delle Eremite 1348 | Dorsoduro, 30123 Venice, Italy (Dorsoduro)   |
Ranked #331 of 433 Venice B&B and Inns
ferrara
“my best stay in venice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2008

it was my best stay in venice in this very private bed and breakfast. very peacefull and relaxing. Closed to the center. Good location in venice for beginning every kind of exploring the city. Very recomandeble place to stay.

• Liked — perfect location and unique venetian atmosphear
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2007

Stayed here for 4 nights at the end of October based on reviews from here and the price(reasonable for Venice, anywhere else and the price would cover a three/four star hotel). Location wise, this place is fantastic as it is close enough to walk to the big sights but far away enough to turn the corner and escape from the busy areas of Venice.

We stayed in a double room with an ensuite which we had to ourselves but I'm fairly certain in high season, you may have to share the ensuite as there are a total of two double rooms located beside the ensuite. I wouldn't have been happy with this arrangement, had it happened. The room is small and basic.

Really worth doing some research into where the locals eat and dont fall foul of the restaurants running alongside the canal close to Rialto Bridge. They fall over themselves to get you to come in but once we were in, we were practically ignored.

Maria was our hostess and she was exceptionally friendly and welcoming. There is a communal type living room where breakfast is held (croissants, jams, coffee, tea) every morning and the room was available for use by the guests (reading, listening to music etc).

I would certainly recommend it and would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Location and hostess
  • Disliked — Chance of having to share the ensuite which didn't happen, thankfully
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

We stayed at the Almaviva House for 3 days in September as part of a birthday trip to Rome and Venice. Our experience didn't start of in the best way as we did not seem to be expected when we arrived. After half an hour waiting in a hallway we were picked up by a young woman, only to find out that we would not be staying at the Almaviva House. Following a 15min sprint to another location we arrived at an apartment building much closer to the centre of town. To our surprise we were put up in a gorgouse 2 bedroom 3 storey top floor appartment overlooking quaint courtyards on three sides. From here on every thing was to perfection. We loved staying in the apartment as it gave us more of a sense of how it would feel like to live in Venice. We had our coffee every morning at a corner cafe with deliciouse pastries which was paid for by Almaviva House.

The apartment was very central being only steps away from the Grand Canal and all other main attractions. All in all we had a great stay and really enjoyed our accommodation after the first mishaps.

• Liked — Character, Location
  • Disliked — No one around to ask for tips
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2007

Almaviva had been recommended by friends who had stayed there on their honeymoon and had given me the email so I contacted Arkadius Pstrong, the owner, direct with various questions on dates,times and rates to which he replied with all my requested information. Then once my wife and I had decided I emailed my requrement to him and booked that way.

We were met on arrival by Maria who, despite having no English and with my very limited italian we were nonetheless welcomed warmly and shown our room - a delightful en-suite with a canal view and a beautiful antique Murino glass chandelier. We were given keys and shown how to operate the locks and then after showering went out to dinner. The house itself is also beautiful and atmospheric with frontedby a lovely private courtyard where after dinner we took a glass of grappa and I smoked my cigar,

Continental breakfast of excellent croisants, pastrys and quality preseves with excellent coffee was served by Maria in the large, bright salon around the circular table where we met other guests from Switzerland, Canada and also from England - we all became very friendly and were able to share knowledge of sights and good restaurants with each other. Arkadius made an appearance towards the end of breakfast welcoming us all personally. On our third morning he took delight in giving us a tour of the house and showing us the other rooms.

The whole experience was warm, friendly and welcoming and my wife will be back there in July with our daughter for another long weekend - we will certainly re-visit again when we come back to Venice.

Derek and Veronica Hollis

• Liked — Atmosphere, welcome, food, location
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

Well, not if you need more than a simple room for two, which you can get in the main house....

We stayed in the Almaviva in what we were told was the worst heat wave Venice has seen in ages. The average temperature while we were there was 95 degrees F. The building is in a lovely area of Dorsoduro, a quiet street. We had a very cute, fully furnished apartment which was spotless, and separated from the rest of the building; we did not directly access the house.

Our hostess was perfectly lovely but did not speak English, so we did not know anything about breakfast, tea with the owner, etc. I didn't see the owner, either. We did have our own kitchen, maybe that was why.

Our apartment was not connected to the central air that the rest of the B&B had. I've posted a photo that shows the air conditioning unit that was sitting in the living room. It was weak, and not appropriate for a unit with two rooms, let alone a unit that doesn’t have screens in the windows. The unit also had a tube running to a fan sitting in the window. That tube meant we could never close the window.

Since the a/c was not powerful, the cooling did not reach the kitchen, let alone the bedroom where we slept, so our room was Sweltering. We could not open the windows, because we were eaten alive by mosquitoes every time we did. We were eaten alive every night anyway, because of the room with the open window!!! I ended up with 33 mosquito bites, all of which I got in the apartment while I was sleeping, and 13 of which were on my face. The bites did not go away for two weeks.

Other than THAT, Venice and the Almaviva were great. Really!!! And I highly recommend Locanda Montin, too - great food!

• Liked — Clean; Would have been comfortable if the a/c worked.
  • Disliked — Non-working A/C, Mosquitoes. Mosquitoes aren't romantic, BTW....
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

We stayed for four nights in July and loved it. Initially difficult to find as many places in Venice once you are there the house is fantastic.

On a beautiful and quiet canal near the lagoon and the Zattere vaporetto stop our room had a canal view and a view of the courtyard with en-suite bathroom. The room was big with a large table and pictures, bed was very comfortable.Very tasteful lounge/dining room that all the rooms lead off full of books, music and a piano.

Breakfast is nice, croissants, rolls, swet cake, fruit juices and coffee, a perfect start to the day with classical music in the background. You eat on a round table with the other guests, people were friendly and with only a few other rooms it's creates a feeling of staying with a family rather than a guest house.

You are made to feel very welcome and the owners will make suggestions for your stay. At night the stairs are lit with candles to guide your way to the rooms and the atmosphere of the place is elegant, quiet and restful.

Opposite the hotel is a lovely restaurant Montin, a lovely garden where you eat in and the food is great.

It's a lovely area to explore and away from the crowds near St Marks sq.

I would recommend bringing some good insect repellant in the summer months.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

My partner and I found the Almaviva through the website "Purple Roofs.com" and it is a gem in the midst of the sea, just like Venice herself. It is a modest sized, historic structure, situated right on a small canal, with a beautiful courtyard. It is a very romantic setting in a very romantic city. It is also on a quiet canal, which provides a great break from all the other busy tourist areas. In addition to the rooms, there is also a small apartment, in which we stayed. All the accomodations were lovely, clean and efficient. Arkadius and his staff were friendly, hospitable and very solicitous of any question or concern that we had. We stayed four wonderful days and hope to return in the future. I highly recommend the Almaviva.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Almaviva House? Share your experiences!