“Exceptional service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ca' Leon D'Oro

You added Ca' Leon D'Oro to your Saves list
Ca' Leon D'Oro
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Rialto 5303, Campo S Bartolomeo | Calle dell Aquila, Venice Island, 30124 Venice, Italy (San Marco)   |
Ranked #94 of 433 Venice B&B and Inns
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Exceptional service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Ok, so I am an American student currently studying abroad in the UK. I went on a week-long holiday to Italy in September of 2014 with a travel companion. Rome for 3.5 days, Florence for 2, and Venice for 1.5. For some unholy reason, we couldn't find a single room (or two beds) in Venice for our dates at budget hotels or hostels. The George Clooney wedding had recently happened, so maybe that sparked interest. We ended up shelling more money on this place that we had in Rome or Florence in hostels. We got what we paid for, though.

Their website isn't the greatest. They should probably update it to reflect the hotel. I was surprised at how nice it was. The location is PRIME. From the front door, you can literally Rialto bridge from the side. It's on the San Marco side.

When I booked the room, I had requested two twin beds. I didn't get an email confirmation for quite some time, so I called. There was some confusion because I have an Italian name and ancestry and I was obviously an American on the phone. After they found my reservation, they informed me that they had emailed me, informing me that there were no two bed rooms left and that I could have the room at the very top of the hotel, with a double bed and a rooftop porch, for the same price. They threw in a map and a ticket to the casino, as well. Turns out that my university email was blocking the foreign email address, and this is why I didn't get the confirmation. When I gave them my Outlook address, I received it.

The room was, indeed, at the very top of the hotel. No elevator, but I expected this. Still, carrying a 50 lb. bag up those stairs was a feat. The room was nice. Not overly big, but it had what we needed. Nicely decorated, too. Reflected the price. We did have our rooftop access, where we could climb a set of wooden stairs to a hobbit-like door that led out to our private terrace, complete with two lawn chairs. You could actually see the tips of Saint Mark's Square. Not the most elegant terrace in the world, but for two college kids who had been staying in 6-bed hostel rooms for 5 days, it was basically Versailles.

They held our luggage for us on the first day, as the room was being cleaned (we were early). On the last day, they even held it for us when we checked out. Very nice. On the last day, after I checked out, I actually slipped halfway into the Grand Canal and found my pants simply covered in algae. It wasn't good. I went back and they got me a bathroom and towels. This was all after I had checked out. I am very grateful for their sympathy.

Their breakfast was very nice, too. It was included and had the basics like croissants and juice.

I'll be back if I ever go back to Venice, which I plan to do. Venice has been my favorite city, beating London, Edinburgh, Rome, Florence, and Paris. I went in September and avoided what I hear are the worst crowds. It was still immensely crowded. Totally worth it.

Room Tip: I loved the top room with the terrace - I think it was room 5. Beware of the steps, though.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

We stayed her for three nights in July. It is located close to the Rialto Bridge, which is a centralized location and offers easy access to all the sights and transportation options in Venice. Although the B&B is located in a centralized location within Venice, it sits in a small passageway off the Campo San Bartolomeo. So it is very quiet and offers some relative seclusion from the swarms of tourist in Venice. It was an easy 10-15 minute water bus ride from the train station to the Rialto Bridge water bus stop, and then just a 3-5 minute walk to the B&B. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. Our shower door would not close correctly and this was fixed in fairly decent amount of time. Our only complaint is that one of the staff members argued with the repairman in front of us, which we thought was unprofessional. But this staff member was very friendly towards us and overall we received great service while staying here.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the first floor (where rooms are located)
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

My wife booked this hotel for my birthday. We arrived in Venice ,caught the water bus to Rialto bridge, followed the instructions to the hotel. A 5 minute walk. Small hotel clean and tidy. A flight of steps to reception. We checked in and had a great handover of the hotel information. Our room was the pink room which was up another flight stairs. Very clean good en suite. Not luxury but enough for us. Staff found out it was my birthday and we were left a bottle of sparkling wine in the room. Lovely touch. Breakfast very basic, pre packed cheese and ham, cakes , coffee and yogurts. The hotel is in a fantastic location. Close to every where. When we returned home we decided to walk to the bus station from the hotel across town at 5 am. Breakfast left out for us and the walk 20 minutes totally safe. You need a good map which we brought at the bus station for €3.50 ? Check out the less popular areas. Cheaper better quality and not heaving with tourists. Venice is expensive ! If yr of average fitness you can see it all on foot. We would visit hotel again if we return. Not luxurious but great ,clean and friendly and very comfortable.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

We stayed here for three nights and were extremely pleased. The location is fabulous, just steps from the Rialto Bridge and a ten minute walk from St. Marks Square. The staff were extremely helpful and made some great recommendations for food and drinks. Our room was small, but had this amazingly beautiful rooftop terrace from which we could see the spires of St. Marks! Really neat. Highly recommend, so long as you are comfortable going up and down stairs. Also the wifi was a little bit unreliable, but that wasn't a big concern for us.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

We spend one night with my daughter.The staff was friendly, the rooms were very clean. We were able to leave the luggage at the front desk free of charge after we did the check out that was a plus. We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We stayed at the hotel 3 nights. The room we had was a bit small, but clean and cozy. (There is no elevator).We had room nr 5, wich has a little roof terrace.The access to this terrace was a bit challenging, but the terrace itself was nice.The breakfast was ok, and the staff were friendly and helpful! The location is very convenient, just next to the Rialto. We would definitely consider staying there again!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

My 4 night stay was wonderful in this small hotel/bed and breakfast (5rooms). The room and furnishings were just gorgeous - very Venetian. The shower cubicle was very small - but It seems to be the same all through Europe!

There is no elevator but the reception staff will take your bag up if you ask nicely - they were very amenable in every way. Francesco in particular was very friendly and we had some really interesting chats. Is English is exceptional and I gather he speaks several languages, making communication no problem at all.

Apart from the Lovely room, which is large - especially for Venice - and great staff, and breakfast being included, the real gem is the perfect location! The Rialto bridge water bus stop is less than 2 minutes walk from the front door, without having to take luggage up any steps. Piazza San Marco is an easy 10 minute walk - with wonderful shopping on the way, the market 5 min, the best gelato anywhere in the world is 3 min in any direction (there so many wonderful gelato bars to choose from!) and only 10 - 15 min by water bus to the Santa Lucia train station - if you go direct (avoid the one that stops at all stops).

I loved my time in Venice and am so pleased I happened upon this hotel on the internet. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I had room 4 - perfect!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Been to Ca' Leon D'Oro? Share your experiences!