“Good stay in Venice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #61 of 164 Specialty Lodging in Venice
Moscow
“Good stay in Venice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I booked 1 night for myself and my wife at Alloggi Al Gallo. But my wife was unable to join me so I travelled alone.

Pros:
- Alloggi Al Gallo is a tipical family run B&B. It is located in an old building in Santa Croce district. Location is good, you are close to everything - 15 min walk to Santa Lucia Railway Station and Piazzale Roma Bus Terminal.
- The room was good, rather big, clean, en-suite.
- It was quiet there. But seems I was the only guest in the hotel )
- Free fast wi-fi.
- Very friendly and nice owners.
- The price was 39 Eu/DBL/night. As for breakfast, I don't know, I left the hotel at 6 am, I had early in the morning train.

Cons:
- No at all.

How to find:
Sometimes it's not easy to find the hotel. If you arrive at Santa Lucia Station and Piazzale Roma bus Terminal, just go along Canale di Santa Maria Maggiore till the end of Fondamenta Tolentini then turn left and continue going along Canale di Santa Maria Maggiore. You will go down the street with many narrow lanes (calle). Usually the name of the lane is indicated on the top of the entrance arch. But the name Calle del Forno is written inside the arch on the left wall. Orientation: when you see Falier Hotel sign, go straight. The second or third arch on the left will be Calle del Forno. Go there, in 30 meters you will see the sign with chicken picture. You are there!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

First off, let me give you the good points about this place. The staff for one thing are really nice. Despite what other reviews have said, we found they spoke pretty good English, one of them very well in fact. Though my wife often spoke to them in Italian as she's pretty fluent. They were very helpful and pleasant to us. Secondly, the rooms, or at least the room we had was large with high ceilings and the bathroom was big as well with everything except a bath. The shower was a good one though the hot water takes a little time to reach it. We have stayed in some places on the continent where the room is barely big enough to swing a cat so the feeling of space was great. Their is a CRT TV up on the wall which I used once just to see what was on but then didn't bother with it after that. We had two quite large windows with net curtains that opened up onto back yards and roof tops. Outside shutters kept the light out at night. Third, upon checking in we were given 6 hours free Wi-Fi and if we used that up, we could just ask for more! (why would you need more?) Having stayed in a 5 Star London Hotel a few days before where they charge £6.00 an Hour (!!!) we found this amazing. The location perhaps isn't the best as it's in the Santa Croce area of Venice with a 15/20 minute walk to either the Accademia or Rialto Bridges, the two closest points to cross the grand canal with another 10 minute walk to get into the cultural centre of the city. We caught the Vaporetto from the airport to the Rialto Stop and walked the rest of the way to avoid changing boats. The station however, is a short walk away. And of course, being away from the centre, it was quieter as well.

Now the down sides. This place isn't strictly a Bed and Breakfast. It was just more of a 'Bed House'. Though they have a coffee machine in the small foyer downstairs which was a godsend every morning and evening. The staff are not there all the time so you have a key to let yourself in and out when the front desk is unmanned. We visited in May when the average temperature was about 20 despite the outbreaks of thunder and heavy rain and we presumed (perhaps we were wrong) that this is why the heating was turned off. Their was a heater in our room but no amount of switching or button pushing could bring it to life. And as is, it seems, usual practice, the double was two singles pushed together with a double sheet and an under-blanket over them. But the beds were not fixed together or secured in any way. Very frustrating if your a couple when that gap starts to open up! And perhaps the one thing that stops this place from getting a 4 from me is that it needs a good deep clean, a coat of paint and some new carpet. The rooms themselves are not too bad and look quite nice, but the stairs and landings etc just need a bit of work. A bit of a makeover could make this place really nice.

In all, we had no real problems and it was a pleasant stay with friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chichester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here in January for 3 nights and had absolutely no troubles whatsoever. We were greeted by a very friendly lady at the front desk, who was very accommodating even though we arrived much earlier than anticipated. It was very easy to find.

The room was no 5 star luxurious pad, but it doesn't claim to be. For the location (which literally is 5 minutes from the Piazzale Roma Bus station) and the price it is superb. It has a quaint and cozy atmosphere and you can walk to just about anywhere in Venice. The room was well heated, cleaned and supplied for the duration, and the shower worked very well. It was however listed as a double and actually consisted of two twins pushed together, but I've seen this before and it was no issue. If you are used to something elaborate and sophisticated then look elsewhere, if you simply want to explore the area and come back to a well maintained, warm and peaceful establishment then the Al Gallo fits the bill.

And one final note, although the lady at the desk spoke no English.... why should she have to?! It makes me laugh when people go abroad and complain when they don't hear English. The whole idea is to be a part of a different culture. I've always found it to be beneficial (and above all, quite simply just polite) to grasp even the basics of the countries' language that I visit. Although we were no good, the lady and gentleman who we both encountered at the Al Gallo were very helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We checked into the hostel and were greeted by a woman that spoke no english. We were placed in an attic room but it was freezing so we were moved to a room on the first floor which was warmer but still cold enough that I didn't take my coat off. We asked the woman at the desk if she could turn the heat on since it was 42 degrees Fahrenheit outside. Somehow in my broken Spanish I understood that a man had to come and turn the heat on but that he could only come the following day. Hoping for the best, we asked for more blankets and left to see the city. That night the room was absolutely an ice box (no one at the front desk to talk to) and we slept in our coats, scarves and gloves under 3 blankets and were still freezing. The next morning I woke up sick with a cold and sore throat.

I got up and went to take a shower but 5 mins in with shampoo in my hair and suds on my body, the water went ice cold. My husband went down to inform the front desk and the lady said to wait 20 mins. So I sit on the toilet with a towel and wet hair in a freezing room waiting for hot water. After 30 mins of waiting there is still no hot water. At this point I have had enough of the cold and we pack up at left. At the front desk there was now a man who spoke English, he returned our money (except the cost of one night which he would not give us a discount for even though the website stated heat and hot water were provided) but didn't seem to care too much about our discomfort. If I could give this place zero stars I would.

There was also no elevator and only 6 free hours of internet were given (regardless of how long you stay) for only one device, and after that its 10€/hour!!! Plus the Internet went in and out so you couldn't even get a decent connection and wasted a lot of your free Internet time waiting.

Room Tip: Avoid this place like the plague.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I stayed in this hotel back in July (for 3 nights). Reached there at 7 ish in the evening, friendly receptionist who hardly speaks any English gave me room keys and left. Was able to fig out basic room details with my basic spanish skills. Room was on the 2nd floor and when I reached the room I couldn't find a switch to turn on AC, came to to fig out and found that no one was at the reception.. turns out they have receptionist only during day time ! There was loft in the room full furniture & other stuff (good breeding ground for mosquitoes)..Couldn't sleep the whole night cos of NO aircondition, mosquitoes and CRT TV which didn't work ! In the morning receptionist served breakfast in the room (nothing great bot that just toast,jam,tea,juice etc) and also showed me the switch to turn-on the AC ..Next 2 nights were ok.. but would never consider staying there again, not at least for that price..

Room Tip: Choose a room which doesn't have a loft. Check A/C, TV etc before u check in. Try to reach there...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
:London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Like the title suggests, Al Gallo has some good things and some not so great things going for it. The former is the price, which is very reasonable including free wi-fi & considering it's Venice, second is the location (handy to everywhere, near to the main bus and train stations) and third is Alex, the amiable owner of the place. On arrival the check-in was quick and courteous, and Alex put me up in the double with private bathroom at no extra cost as the single wasn't ready. Fine, I'll live with it :)

So that first night was fine, everything seemed to be in order. I had a decent night's sleep, and the air con is a godsend. The walls are a touch thin, and there were a few scary moments which I thought the bed had bugs in it (I can't be sure to be honest). Things started taking a downhill turn when I stayed in the single room. 1st impression is that the previous occupant took no notice of the no smoking sign, as it fair reeked of it. The worse thing though was the shared bathroom. I'm not usually fussed about sharing bathrooms but it was obvious the cleaners only do a very surface job cleaning it. For the two days I was there there was a lot of hair left behind on every surface, but the kicker was that the shower had a blockage and filled up pretty quick. Suffice to say, in the middle of an Italian summer where you're sweating and feeling generally filthy, the last thing you want to do is bath in other people's water.

I do hope they sort it out quickly, as it's a major thing for people. I feel that Al Gallo could prove to be popular and well deserving of praise if they just sorted one or two problems out.

Room Tip: It's worth to upgrade and get the private bathroom
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Hastings, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

When my friend and I booked this hotel we were excited to stay, we had been travelling around Italy on a budget and this looked perfect and cheap while offering a typical venetian setting. However, when we arrived in Venice we were an hour later than we had said and we were met at the train station by a women who did not speak a word of English. We were not told on the phone we would be staying anywhere different or there were any problems, she then took us to a different hotel were we were left with an explanation that our bathroom had mysteriously broken within an hour and we were now expected to stay at this hotel, which was modern, horribly busy, set by the train station and not at all the typical venetian stay we had been hoping for. The women appeared very rude and no apology or discount was offered. We had no choice but to stay there due to the cancellation charge. In my opinion this hotel should not be advertised on trip advisor.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Al Gallo? Share your experiences!