“Perfect Neighborhood Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chandler, Arizona
“Perfect Neighborhood Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This was a great surprise gem. When booking online sometimes you are not fully sure what the room/hotel will look like. But this is right on, the room is huge with a large very nicely appointed bathroom. There is a mini bar in the room with drinks at a good price. The complementary breakfast is nice, coffee, yogurt and pastries. very nice start to the day. The people who run this hotel are fabulous, very friendly and willing to help with directions and scheduling a water taxi. You are only 10min walk to St Mark's Square. The neighborhood this hotel in is away (but not too far as everything is a quick walk away). If we go back to Venice, this will be our first and only choice for a hotel.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I stayed at the Alloggi Barbaria with my husband for a weekend away in April 2015. The directions we given were spot on and it was easy to find. Our room was large and light with a large shower room with bidet and everything was nice and clean. Although it's not right in the centre Venice is very small and you can easily walk to all the famous sights in about 10 minutes - if you don't get lost in the maze of little lanes. The host couple were pleasant and helpful, giving us recommendations for local restaurants and lending my husband a charger for his phone.
Breakfast was basic but fine. Free wifi was provided which is always good and there was a fridge in the room stocked with drinks. Although I was happy with our stay and would recommend this place I couldn't help feeling that just a few minor changes would make it much better - a new shower head a riser rail would have been good, the one provided only sprayed water from about 3 holes and was held in place by a cable tie! Tea and coffee making facilities and a clock in the room would have been very welcome. But I think that my biggest gripe would be that it was quite cold. There was a central heating radiator in our room, but it was turned off, likewise there was an A/C unit with heating function but the remote control was missing from the holder on the wall, even the heated towel rail was turned off. So it was definitely a bit chilly, especially after getting caught in the rain.
Aside from this I would say that it's pretty darned good for a budget weekend.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Raja Ampat, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Fausto, the host, was super nice! The room was spacious, they have lots of warmers, AC. Its really cozy inside the room. They have a fridge with beverages (i think u must pay for it, we didnt take any). And they have this unique deposit safe. Intriguing. Breakfast was nice, Fausto's wife helped us and she is really nice. xD We recommend this place for anyone who wants to visit Venice.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2015

I also wanted to address what people are saying about the pre-approval of credit card verification. This is quiet the common practice among hotels nowadays. I am not sure what kind of travel agent was not familiar with this possibility but I in my own travels have seen it a lot lately. This is to prevent fraud, and false bookings and to make sure the credit card on file is active and not possibly stolen. Do all hotels do this, no. But many do, so be prepared they may authorize a charge of one night pending and it most of the time gets pulled back out within a day as it is pending, but do be prepared this is possible. This is not a unusual practice of this hotel, this is common among a lot of them. The only other suggestion I would have about this hotel would be electric coffeepots in the rooms would be extremely helpful. There are some cafes around the corner from this place but it would be nice to see a coffeepot to make tea or instant coffee. Even a shared one in the dining area to use would be nice.

Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2015

I just stayed my first night of a 3 night stay and was reading some of the reviews last night, esp the negative ones, trying to figure out why . Some people are very harsh for little to no reason I feel. This place was very affordable. Even though I am traveling in off season this place was one of the more affordable ones for Venice and it was literally about a block if that down from the water ferry stop. It is also down a block from a market which you can pick something up there and put in your "in room" fridge. I don't think all places offer in room fridges. This is my first trip to Europe but I am comparing it to other hotels I have stayed at and I just came from a 3 night in Paris. In Paris my room was about the same size, no fridge, and I did not get a free breakfast. I see people complained about the breakfast of rolls with Nutella, a small muffin, yogurt, and coffee or tea. Maybe they have revamped this breakfast menu but a lot of places in the US, where I am coming from do not offer free breakfast. And in Paris, you paid 5,00 euro for a coffee and croissant at my hotel in stayed in. Here in Italy I was delighted to receive any free breakfast. So if you don't like their free selection, don't take it, but how can you complain about free? As for my room it was basic somewhat yes, but clean and not as small as people are saying. Mine had either a double or queen bed, a desk, armoire, two nightstands, a TV, mini fridge, and a room safe, plus a good sized bathroom. My Paris hotel bathroom was much smaller. My bed was comfortable also. Only thing is I would have liked a 3rd pillow instead of just two but then again, I didn't ask for a extra one either. The front desk attendant emailed me a few days prior asking about what time I would arrive, to make sure I would be greated and given the keys, as they are not staffed overnight. I thought that was courteous. Some people called this place a B and B and as the owner pointed out they do not fit the bill for that description, in the US most B and Bs are more expensive as they are a speciality. So calling this place a B and B was no insult to me at all. This place is a nice, Clean, affordable, friendly, helpful and what I am told conviently located area of Venice to stay. What it is not is a luxury hotel. If you want that, I am sure you can find it somewhere paying probably 5x as much. You choose what you want.

Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2015

The owners are the best I have ever met.

I struggled with a tragedy that my purse was stolen on the first day we arrived. The owners gave us warmness at the critical moment and actively prepared free lunch for us. They also helped us to take back the lost purse.

It is definitely the first choice if you prefer to stay a clean and convenient place like home.

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2015

I was really looking forward to staying at this property August, 2015. We booked through Hotels.com and it was labeled "Book Now/Pay Later" as the majority of the hotels are in the EU. Unfortunately the manager contacted me to let me know my credit card was declined when he tried to run 120Euros Pre-Authorization for One Night. We travel a lot since I'm a Travel Agent and have our card set up to where, at least until I tell the bank to release it, any transactions that are attempted over seas will be declined for our security. The manager contacted me regarding this, I'd like to note he was very friendly, to advise me of the situation. I sent him the email noting that NOTHING was to be charged until we arrived. He said it was common practice for them and customers usually don't have an issue with it, I wouldn't have normally had an issue with it IF I would have been told we WERE going to be charged. He did mention it would drop off 30 days after charged but 120 Euros is $135 PLUS we get a small international fee anytime it's charged. Then once we were there we'd get another charge (which were expecting) because of the international charge. So in our case we don't get to experience this hotel as I personally prefer Book Now/Pay Later Hotels just in case schedules change (which are common this far out from our trip). So just a heads up for those looking, it was not marked on the outside vendors websites. I appreciate their customer service and I'm sure we would have enjoyed our stay.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
AlloggiBarbaria, Manager at Alloggi Barbaria, responded to this review, March 23, 2015
Dear mearesfam,

Thank you for describing the exact procedure we always follow to confirm a booking.

However, I don’t entirely understand the reason for your review.

Here are some points I need to make regarding your feedback:
- We did not charge anything to your card.
- Your booking has been canceled without penalties.
- The card number you provided came back as invalid.
- Every guest needs to provide a valid credit card to GUARANTEE his/her reservation in a hotel.

I find it odd that you, a travel agent, are completely unaware of what a "pre-authorization" is.

A pre-authorization is an operation that allows us to verify the validity of a credit card, and it simply expires later. It is not a deposit, it is not a charge, and will not appear on your credit card.

"Book Now/Pay Later" it is just what we do.
We collect payments at the hotel, but we check the credit cards of our customers. Many places both in the USA and Europe do this. Are we wrong to do this as well?

It seems to us that your review was posted solely to damage the reputation of our property, and you gave us a 2 / 5 rating without ever staying at our hotel and are basing your review on invalid (wrong) information.

I would hope that you, as a travel agent who should know and understand the meaning of “pre-authorization” (please Google "hotel credit card pre-authorization" for an explanation) , will realize your review was unfair and will consider canceling your feedback.

Fausto Maroder, Alloggi Barbaria

Been to Alloggi Barbaria? Share your experiences!