“Interesting hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #289 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Darwin, Australia
“Interesting hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Ok so, I can accept a range of standards in a hotel having travelled in Asia and other less developed countries. Hotel Alex rates itself as a one star however in line with Venician hotels is priced as a three star. The hotel owner runs the hotel. She is delightful and very welcoming- nothing but praise for her hospitality.

The rooms are serviced daily and a lovely continental style breakfast included.

The room was for four persons - two adults two children. The room size was adequate in comparison with other European properties however the hotel for the price requires an open mind. While I appreciate old difficult buildings having grown up in a 200 year old house I found that the general maintenance of the rooms to be lacking. It was clean, and shared bathrooms for the most acceptable. However, a number of very very loose tiles on our bedroom floor is sloppy, and asking for feet to be sliced. The general fittings, locks etc don't enhance the feel of antique they just described a lack of every day maintenance. This property needs work or a price shift.

The location is very good and for this reason we chose this property but it is a challenge to swollow the price when I have stayed in properties half the price and twice the quality. The difficulty will always be quad rooms in cities like Venice.
If you have the capacity to pay more it will more likely meet your expectations.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Adelaide, Australia

Extremely cheap
Great value
Lovely and helpful host
Stayed with my 13 and 16 year old son
Supermarket opposite very cheap and great

Stayed April 2015
Middlesbrough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2015

I have just come back from a city break in Venice and stayed at Hotel Alex for two nights, which was pleasant.

May I first say how lovely and kind the lady who runs this hotel is. She made my stay here very comfortable and pleasant – and was always willing to answer any questions I had about the city. Her English is very good and she always went out of her way to check up on me, making me feel at home.

When booking the hotel I knew it was central, but didn’t realise it was in close proximity to the main attractions. The Rialto Bridge and Grand Canal are around a 10 minute walk away. Over the road from Hotel Alex is a small supermarket which is useful if you would like to buy snacks or need other essentials such as toiletries etc. There are also a good amount of places to eat around the area, whether you want a sit down meal or a quick snack from a takeaway.

Everywhere in Venice is accessible and within walking distance from this hotel so there’s no need to invest in expensive transport to get you around – as long as you research areas and ask for a map you should find your way around easily! The hotel is around a 15 minute walk from the Piazzale Roma where the ACTV or ATVO bus drops and picks you up to take you from/to the airport.

I was aware of the shared bathroom, and to be honest it didn’t disappoint. The bathroom was clean and I never had to wait to use the toilet or shower (which are
separate). In addition, I stayed by myself but my room had two beds which meant it was a lot bigger than expected. The hotel itself is rather outdated and could do with refurbishments, however it has character which links well to the ‘Venice’ feel. I never had a problem with the WiFi it seemed to work well throughout the duration of my stay.

The only thing that bothered me is on one of the nights my neighbours were VERY LOUD and inconsiderate of others in the hotel. That being said as it’s an old style hotel the walls are thin, meaning you can hear everything. So try and be respectful of others, and if noise bothers you bring ear plugs!

Overall, I would definitely recommend staying here if you are looking for a good value hotel in the heart of Venice.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2015

Overall the hotel wasn't that bad. It definitely wasn't anything fancy, but considering the price you get what you paid for.
The service was good, the lady spoke English, Spanish and Italian and was quite helpful. The rooms were small and basic. One bed had springs poking out, which was actually quite dangerous, but the other was fine. The walls didn't look too clean either. The bathroom and shower was separate to the room, and both were clean.
Breakfast consisted of bread, croissants, spreads and coffee/hot chocolate/juice.

Overall it was an average stay and I would stay here again if I could find no where else cheaper and better.

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2014

We stayed here in Sept. 2014 for the second time in a year. Señora Fiorentini welcomed us back like family. We stayed on the top floor room on the right again with a terrace overlooking the street.

We watched our neighbors come and go from school, work and tourists wander. The hotel's easy to get to, close to everything, San Toma station is your nearest vaporetto stop.

If you don't like noise then ask for a room at the back. We, however, loved watching and joining in the street's restaurants and small crowds at night. There's a grocery store right across the street. There are a lot of wonderful stores with handmade items close by. There are also lovely little alleys to discover here and all over Venice.

The hotel is clean, we had a private bath with shower, the laundry done fresh every day. S. Fiorentini will help you with any and all directions. Her English is excellent. Breakfast was simple but just what we needed. Where else can you eat in someone's dining room!

Put on your sneakers and walk everywhere, eat in beautiful piazzas, have the best homemade Italian meals and wine and return home to the Alex and relax on the terrace with a final glass of wine! Enjoy!

Room Tip: If you want quiet ask for a room in the back. If you want a slice of Venitian life request one of t...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
München
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

I went to Venice for a weekend with my boyfriend, we were just gonna stay one night in Venice, had a low budget, and decided to go to this 1 star hotel (hostel) for 90 Eur /night. I expected little, but we were still surprised upon arrival. The hostel has an excellent location, close to everything 10 min walk. The surprise was that our room had no toilet nor shower, it had to be shared one floor under. Only one shower, old and 2 bathrooms. I did not find it dirty, although everything was old, wehad a super cute terrace from our room and it was ok for one night. The day after we woke up too late for breakfast and the kind lady which speaks a lot of languages served us coffee and croissants, which were I must say excellent. If you are young and humble, it is ok for one or too nights, to stay here. I mean, if you go to Venice to visit you dont sleep much or stay at the hotel anyways. PS, no TV in rooms! But funny stay, me and my boyfriend took it with a smile. The day after I had to shower with cold water because the clock had changed to winter time and the aldy forgot to change the time for the boiler..heheh but I didnt mind. Venice made me forget ! :)

Room Tip: Ask for the room which has a bathroom, there is only one! :)
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2014

Hotel Alex has taught me a valuable lesson, .... heed bad reviews! Hotel Alex is filthy, noisy, unkept and bears little resemblance to the photos. The owner is superficially friendly, smiling all the way to the bank, this hotel is mosquito ridden and the one shared shower for two floors of guests was COLD and growing lots of mould. This absolutely is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in in 50 years of travelling. I would rather stay in a bus shelter. The owner offered a partial refund which never arrived. ......AVOID AT ALL COSTS -

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Alex? Share your experiences!