“Happy stay, but” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #235 of 383 Hotels in Venice
Herning, Denmark
“Happy stay, but”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My daughters first visit to Venice.
Hotel situated just 300 mtrs from the railroad station on a "tourist trap" street.
Nice room with air condition, but costly (as it is in Venice).
Breakfast not included.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Carettoni, Manager at Antica Casa Carettoni, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comment. Here we affirm that our prices are not so much costly, on the contrary, in our class we are one of the most competitive Hotel in Venice (as can be easily seen). Our quality and our location certainly don't disappoint the offer.
The breakfast is continental style, at a cost of 5,00 euro per person, and as eat breakfast elsewhere would require an expenditure surely more expensive, for those who don't have any particular expectations, it can be considered convenient.
Finally, we hope to see you and your daughters again, for a second pleasant stay in Venice.
Best Regards.
Antica Casa Carettoni.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Korean first
Wollongong, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

Spent two nights here as a solo traveller in July 2012. Location was excellent - I walked out of the train station and the hotel was literally a few hundred metres on the left in a busy street with lots of shops, cafes and gelato stands. I had to wait about 15 minutes in reception before I could check in as there was no-one around but when the lady did arrive (I didn't get her name but I wish I had), she was friendly, helpful and always said hello and addressed me by name each day - lovely! My room was small but comfortable and modern with a wardrobe and desk. Bathroom was small and shower was very small - hot water was scarce in the evening but enough for a quick shower. Air-conditioning was welcome in the heat and really appreciated the toiletries in the bathroom. Only negative would be wi-fi - it is not free (20 euro for 24 hours, which can be used over space of a week) and only available in the lobby. I got access intermittently in my room but it made it hard to Skype my family at home. Also have to pay a refundable deposit to get TV remote (weird?) - I didn't bother. Breakfast was average - on my first morning, I was taken to a nearby hotel for breakfast (instead of the actual hotel) with no explanation and food was pretty grim; cereal and some pastries. Second morning was much better, served at the hotel with offer of coffee etc and scrambled eggs, along with cereal etc. Hotel is in good spot to access all the sites - water taxi and ferry stand right outside station. Buy a 12 hour ferry card for 18 euro and it gives you unlimited trips - great for visiting lots of sites. Takes about 40 minutes to reach San Marco. Hotel staff very helpful with sightseeing advice. Word of warning - street of hotel seems to be prize territory for hawkers selling fake designer bags/sunnies. I was harassed one day by a man who repeatedly asked me to buy a bag and followed me down the street, despite my persistent "no"! Nothing scary but just something to be aware of - I was a solo traveller and never felt fearful but was just taken by surprise! I would recommend this hotel, particularly to those travelling by train, very convenient.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Carettoni, Manager at Antica Casa Carettoni, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your thorough review. We are so pleased that you have appreciated the friendliness and carreful of our staff, who thanks you sincerely.
We specify and guarantee, as you mention it, that the WI-FI is perfectly working just in the hotel hall, and because of this motive you found troubles with the connection in your room.
Instead, we see that all of our others services have satisfied you, and in fact the location is one of the strenghts of the hotel.
The street where the facility is located is one of the main of Venice, and it's ever crowded, but it isn't absolutely definible as a dangerous street: the usual cautions to keep ona crowded street and at late evening are enough.
Thank you another time for your choosing, we looking forward to welcoming you also in the future.
Kind Regards.
Sumter, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This was my second stay at the Antica. Small, european rooms, that are clean. The shower is tiny but always had hot water. The location is on the main street in front of the train station. The continental breakfast is okay. It was much better the first time I stayed. The staff is amazingly friendly and knowledgeable about the city. I love this place and will continue to stay here on future visits.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
We were so pleased to had you as our guest, and we want to thank you for the comliments. Your nice review make us proud, because it underlines the dedication and quality of our facility with sincerity.
Looking forward for your welcome come back, with the Best Regards.
Copley, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

This hotel by all means was one of the nicer that I stayed in during my trip to Europe this past summer.... BUT, and that is a big BUT.... unless your body is approximately 18 inches wide or less, you pretty much can't move. I am by no means a big guy (well width wise) I'm 6'2, 170 so fairly thin and I couldn't move in the shower. Otherwise great hotel, staff was great and very friendly. Also location is great, close to the train station and easy to get around town by the nearby water bus or walking.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Joensuu, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Great location near railwaystation. Good and friendly staff. Nice and clean room. Room was small and noises from street and corridor was loud. Overall good value for money (89€/night/room)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

This hotel is close to the bus and train station. The rooms were air conditioned, very clean and a decent size. We could even see the grand canal from our room without falling out of the window. The staff were friendly and offered a breakfast of both savoury and sweet options and cappuccino! Remember, like most hotels in europe there's no elevator so pack what you can lift.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Antica Casa Carettoni is a wonderful little hotel on Lista di Spagna, one of my favourite areas in Venice. The hotel is small but delightful, lovely marble staircases and mosaic floors and glass chandeliers. My room was a double and had plenty of room, it faced the main street and was totally quiet with the windows closed. The bathroom was small but just right, the hotel and rooms were spotlessly clean, the air con was perfect in the Venetian heat. And not a mosquito to be seen !

All staff were wonderful and Elisa was so charming at breakfast and on the reception, I had no complaints at all about this hotel five stars all round from me. The breakfast was lovely and at least 5 choices of cakes ( my favourite ) cereals, bread and cheeses, coffe was also very good.

I will certainly recommend this hotel to friends and family, and most definitely return, I got such a great deal with Hotelclub/Orbitz absolutely delightful

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends