“Excellent service, thank you” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Locanda SS. Giovanni e Paolo

Save Saved
You added Locanda SS. Giovanni e Paolo to your Saves list
Locanda SS. Giovanni e Paolo
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   Castello, Barbaria delle Tole, 6401, 30122 Venice, Italy (Castello)   |
Ranked #205 of 417 Venice B&B and Inns
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Excellent service, thank you”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

This hotel and the sister hotel Ca Bauta are excellently located, a single room is what is says, single - small but very clean and tidy. Fantastic location, easy to find from water bus stop Fondamento Nova. Most impressive 5 star service from all the staff, extremely helpful, genuinely friendly. Would definitely return. Thanks for a fab visit and a great place to stay during my exhibition at Venezia Project 2011

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

82 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

I stayed here for one night with two friends in May 2011. It's difficult to know precisely where to stay in Venice and we found it next to impossible to find a place in a good location because we were booking shortly before coming (lesson - book Venetian accommodation waaay in advance of your arrival). We paid €39 per person for a three bed bedroom ensuite (which unfortunately turned out to be one double room and one really terrible camp bed. As I'm male and was travelling with two female friends, they shared the double bed and I was banished to the camp bed.

The ensuite was good and clean, reliable hot water and enough for all of us (Venice is STICKY).

I'm a relatively fit guy and not overweight - the minute I sat on the campbed it collapsed under me. Upon lifting the mattress, I found that quite a few of the wooden slats weren't in position correctly and fixed this, but the bed intermittetly collapsed (including once memorably during the night while turning over). Pretty alarming way to be woken up at 4am, if hilarious.

We paid around €3 for breakfast which was good - I had lemon tea, my friends had different variations of coffee, with a croissant each + bread rolls + packets of melba toast. Condiments, butter etc included.

Lady on reception was lovely and really helpful.

All in all a mixed bag but good overall. I think I was just a little unlucky with the camp bed. I'd have done something about it if I was staying a second night and did mention it when we were checking out.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

I stayed here with my Mum for 3 nights 9th-12th April. I booked the room through hostel world as I was looking for super cheap accommodation.

Email enquiries I made before the trip were answered promptly in English. We were also emailed directions to the hotel from the main stations/ water bus stops- very useful Venice is tricky to navigate.

The Locanda is unmanned for large periods of the day so you may have to go around the corner to check in, after that you have your own key. Its decorated in a traditional way- we had a Venetian glass chandelier in our room!

We had the smallest room, 2 single beds laid foot to foot (we were made aware of this when we booked and the staff were still really apologetic about it!) with an en-suite. Despite this it didn't feel too cramped and it was adequate for our needs.

The room and bathroom were spotless, we got 2 towels each a hair-dryer was left in the room and there was soap and shower gel which was replenished daily.

Beds were comfortable. The room was cleaned daily, we got an amazing breakfast of coffee, juice, croissant and bread delivered to the room every day for €4 each. The staff were super friendly and only ever happy to help with directions, enquiries and recommendations.

It was a bit noisy early in the morning with bells ringing and street cleaners but I suspect this is what you would find anywhere in Venice.

Location wise we found it great- its in a slightly less touristy area with some great local restaurants (check out my blog Leeds Grub if you want to read about these), but only a 10 min walk back to the Rialto bridge. Finding the way back is easy as its just a few yards from the main hospital which is really well sign posted right across the city.

Its basic, comfortable, friendly, clean, homely. All you need for a short stay. I would go back here without a second thought.

Room Tip: Follow blue Hospital signs to find your way back.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

Nice little B&B close to local shops, etc. tucked away but close to vaporeto stops, San Marco, etc.

Sevice was excellant. Room nice and clean. Ours was on 2nd level with no lift access. Owner was friendly and helpful. Our booking website failed to put in my request for baby cot through but the owner put one in anyway, noticing an infant on the booking. How considerate of him.

Check out is early but we were able to leave it securely at the B&B and collected later in the evening as we were flying out late.

Finding the place might get slightly tricky but Venice is a maze anyway.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

This is definitely the best hostel that I have ever stayed in! The place has this quaint little charm to it, and is very clean. I just loved the decor of our room - we felt like Venetians during our four days stay there :) The neighborhood is great, with good shops around - a nearby corner shop selling self-made, cheap wine, a nice restaurant called Osteria Alberto and a breakfast place called Bar Al Campiano are our daily haunts. The location is superb too, just a 10 mins walk to the Doge Palace.

Another thing that makes the stay so enjoyable was the absolutely helpful staff (Alberto). He was extremely patient (with us asking for several recommendations...whether it's a better idea to go to Pisa on the way or from Florence, where to get good squid ink spaghetti, where do locals usually eat, etc) and resourceful. Questions that he doesn't know the answers to, he will take the initiative to find out from the net for us, and that has made all the difference in our stay. Our Venice experience was definitely enhanced by by opting to stay here.

ps: one thing though, try to take the water taxi if you disembark near the main bridge of Venice. We walked from the bus station to the hostel which was not a good idea, since it took us approx 1 1/2 hours due to the uncountable number of small little lanes in Venice.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
the frozen north
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

We were impressed with this hotel. Just 10 minutes walk from the airport vaporetto stop in the Castello area, it was off the main tourist drag but only a short walk from the major sights. David the owner very welcoming & helpful. We think we got the best room, no.1, the only one with a balcony - think it had once been the main living area, now divided into 2 large bedrooms. Very atmospheric. If we left the french doors open, we could listen to all the daily life going on - Venetians talking, laughing, singing, church bells ringing etc. When we needed to sleep, the double glazing kept the noise at bay. Generous continental breakfast served in our room, which was very relaxing. Everyone told us that Venice was expensive. Not so - lots of local restaurants serving good, reasonably priced food. We hope to return, & we would certainly use this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

My friends and I stayed at the Locanda SS. Giovanni e Paolo on our recent whirlwind journey through Italy and had a wonderful time! I stayed in the four bed dorm, which had lovely high ceilings and large windows overlooking the street. The owner was extremely helpful and was quick to offer us tips on how to get around in Venice. He also brought us the most incredible breakfast every morning (your choice of tea, espresso, or hot chocolate and a selection of bread, jams, and croissants filled with orange marmalade).
The only thing that may be a downside for tourists is the location: the Locanda is in the very local neighborhood of Castello, which is wonderful if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the touristy areas but can be discouraging when you want to do some sightseeing, as you're 20 minutes to half an hour away from most of the major museums. Overall, though, my friends and I agreed that the ambience of the neighborhood and the fact that the locals were so welcome balanced out the travel time.
There is also no Wi-Fi in the area at all, so if you're planning on an extended stay, you will be disconnected.
A friendly tip: take the vaporetto to the Ospedale stop instead of Fondamenta Nuove when you arrive. There are a lot of bridges with steps on the journey from the Fondamenta Nuove stop, but the Ospedale route is mostly back streets. The staff will be happy to clarify this route for you.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Locanda SS. Giovanni e Paolo? Share your experiences!