“Stopped here by chance. I consider myself lucky.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Birreria Zanon

Birreria Zanon
Cannaregio 2735, 30121 Venice, Italy (Cannaregio)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #36 of 1,132 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Brew Pub
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Cannaregio
Plymouth, Michigan
“Stopped here by chance. I consider myself lucky.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I stopped in this place at random to avoid pouring rain. Good beer, wine, spirits, snacks, and free wifi. Total traveler win.

“Adorable place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

Lovely coctails. Tasty paninies. Place to be. And mostly the prices are cheap for Venice. Adorable atmosphere.

Honolulu, Hawaii
“Great place for spritz and cicchetti”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

What a nice place. After a week in Venice alone and never going in for any appetizers/drinks that Venice is famous for, when walking through the Ghetto the loud alternative rock blaring from this place drew me in. Small with just a few tables, they had a cool video shot from a drone of flying around Italy and over the Concordia ship wreck... and a mix of alternative rock from the US in the 90s playing. The spritz's were super cheap -- like 2 E or something -- and you could eat whatever cicchetti you wanted, plus they had slightly larger food items for about 2 or 3 E. The clientele were lots of local people, and as the sun slowly went down, the vibe was just tremendous. Lots of folks sat outside along the canal, drinking with their glass drinks, and returning them when done. Very different in Venice than the US, where you wouldn't be out with drinks in a glass on the street, but it's a quite different culture and experience there.

Anyway, I ended up becoming friends with one of the bartenders there, Nik, a Venetian living elsewhere in Europe who works there when home in Venice. What a wonderful guy. I found this place so welcoming, and the cicchetti super tasty. Little meat and cheese/sun-dried tomato sandwich things, other similar small food items, and a great vibe there. People sitting around drinking on the street in front, and lots of older local folks talking amongst themselves with smiles. I felt at home and had a nice conversation with a guy Saed, who was also very nice. It was one of the best experiences I had in Venice and here are a couple of photos, one of Nik and I there, and one of some art he did that is hanging on the wall there.
I highly suggest this place for value, vibe and location. It's authentic and where I met a true friend. Enjoy your time there if you're so very fortunate to be walking down that amazing street.
Aloha!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Very nice neighbouthood bar!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Lovely bar, was full on a Sunday night. Interesting beers and well priced Prosecco. We really enjoyed the atmosphere and we were the only non-local people there. Well worth a visit!

Visited January 2014
South Shields
“Super Cichetti”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Looking for lunch on a Sunday after a walk around the Ghetto and found that our two recommendations there were closed.
Lucky for us then otherwise we wouldn't have encountered this little place.
We sat inside - for which the food costs a tad more - but sandwiches and cichetti were still a steal - and delicious. I can still taste the shrimp one if I try really hard.
We washed down with a cabernet franc and a spritzer.
Superb lunch stop for 17E.

• Visited September 2013