“Started OK, then deteriorated” 2 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Nazionale to your Saves list
Hotel Nazionale
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lista di Spagna 158, 30121 Venice, Italy (Cannaregio)   |
Ranked #271 of 383 Hotels in Venice
“Started OK, then deteriorated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

Chose the hotel for its proximity to the station. Perfect for that. Flight of stairs to reception was a surprise initially. Staff started out friendly enough but when things went wrong they failed dismally.
Our room had no hot water which we found out when we wanted to shower after our first night. Went to reception, they said they would ring maintenance and in doing so, came back and said we have a problem with hot water in that room. Yes, I know that. How come you gave us that room when you knew there was a problem? No answer.
They then asked us to go to another room to see if that was better. A slight improvement but it did have hot water. No time for a shower as we had booked things that day. We did find though that the TV did not work. We mentioned this on our way out and when we returned the TV did turn on. Looks like it is fixed. Not so, the remote does not work.
I take the remote to reception and mention that we are not having a good experience. Total disregard by the reception staff and then spends 15 minutes looking for batteries for the remote. I try to explain that things have not been going well and was told not to get upset "it's only batteries". Again I try to explain there has not just been one issue and a second staff member butts in and continues to talk over the top of me. I ask him to let me finish and he just wanders off and does something completely different.
The first guy returns with a second remote and says it works on another TV so it should work in our room. The logic escapes me. The original remote works ( the light comes on) but it doesn't operate the TV. Anyway I take the other remote back and it doesn't work. Back to reception and again say things aren't going well. He then finds 2 more remotes including the original and asks the maintenance guy to take them to the room and try them out.
Sure enough, none of the remotes work. He disconnects the TV and reconnects it and it comes on. Remotes still do nothing. He tries again. Disconnect, reconnect. Now one of the remotes seems to work.
Our day has been overtaken by bad experiences and at no stage was there ever an apology for things that had gone wrong. Instead we were an inconvenience to them. They might be happy that they eventually fixed things but their customer service is woeful.
And as to be expected, I emailed them about the problems and asked for a refund of one night's accommodation. As can be expected from such a terrible staff, no response has been forthcoming. We are an inconvenience. Don't stay there.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Gold Coast, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2014

the hotel is fine. It is excellent location to the train station and the main water taxi area as well as lots of little shops etc. Massive steep stairs to the reception and then rabbits warren to find the room. The breakfast was very average and I think I only had a yoghurt so wasn't value at all.We felt safe and the hallways are wide and carpeted so easy to get up and down. Our room was a triple at we were happy with the size but my dad had a double room opposite us and it was so tiny he could barely navigate around the bed past the crazy large cupboard that seems so out of place.

Room Tip: Go have a hot chocolate at the little cafe downstairs and to the right about a 2min walk. AMAZING...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Gold Canyon, Arizona, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2014

This hotel is very close to the train station and both the 1 and 2 water buses. The room was quite small but we were able to find places for our 2 large suitcases and 2 carry-ons with out tripping on them while in the room. The room was clean, just very dated, and the bathroom was small. The airconditioner apparently had been turned off this time of year and we had to open the shutters and the windows to stay comfortable at night as the weather was still warm in Venice. The location was great, and there are several good restaurants close by. The front desk staff was so very helpful to give us directions and any other information we needed. Denise went out of her way to help us get our boarding passes and just visit with us - we truly appreciated and liked her. I wouldn't have a problem recommending this hotel to someone visiting Venice.

Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2014

The staff are very friendly and helpful.The Hotel rooms are clean and tidy, but the shower is small. Like all of Venice the Hotel shows its age. The hotel has a lift, but reception is at the top of a flight of stairs, with no way to reach but via these stairs. Average Continental breakfast buffet(People use the tongs and implements provided to transfer food to plates, to use your fingers is bad manners and bad hygiene). Easy walking distance to the Railway Station.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2014

Good location - bad choice. We really suffered. We stayed two nights. Couldn't sleep due to heat and mosquitoes. Being from Kolkata, India. .we are used to mosquitoes. .still this was worse. Rooms are dingy and small. Do not book any tours or Gondola rides from the hotel..you always pay a premium. Go to the ferry jetty and book your tickets. We paid extra in the hotel. Do not recommend this hotel AT ALL.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2014

Venice being rather a small area overall, this hotel is still very comfortably close to the train station, and to the boat transport that goes to the airport and, of course, all over Venice as well. Most difficult was the first flight of stairs to the reception desk and hotel itself - not fun for suitcases or heavy bags )) The service was questionable: the night receptionist that checked us in, a man, was very much not concentrated and irritating, first following the order of line of guests, then not following it, overall being quite hostile, so I even decided to leave some things for the next day to ask of another front desk employee. Maybe that was the man's objective all the time - to avoid being asked anything.
Apart from location, the hotel boasts a maze of corridors, as it seemingly progresses into another building or two )) It also has a nice breakfast.
Internet codes are provided at reception and are valid for 10 hours after which the new ones are required. We had no problem getting the new ones even right before our check-in, so that part of service was rather pleasant.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night. I thought it was easy to find from Piazzale Roma bus station, go over 1 bridge ( The Constitution Bridge) pass the Train station. Very close to catch boat, bus or train. Perfect because I stayed overnight and easy to make my way to People Mover to the Stazione Maritimer (Port of Venice) to board the cruise ship. My room was very small with ensuite, just enough to sleep after walking around Venice . Breakfast was OK, The Breakfast ladies didn't look too happy but they kept the coffee and food coming out. From the front the hotel looked very small but surprisingly there were many room. Luckily there was a porter to carry my suitcase through a warren like hall to my single room and show me my room, but next morning I had to carry it back out and down the stairs. Price was reasonable, I would use this hotel again if I ever make it back to Venice!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Nazionale? Share your experiences!