“True European Experience in the Heart of Venice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palazzo Guardi

Save Saved
You added Palazzo Guardi to your Saves list
Palazzo Guardi
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Dorsoduro 995, 30123 Venice, Italy (Dorsoduro)   |
Offers & Announcements
Save on Attraction tickets
Ranked #83 of 418 Venice B&B and Inns
Portland, Maine
“True European Experience in the Heart of Venice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Located on a little alley way, just off of the Grand Canal, the hotel is unassuming. Our junior suite was large with a view overlooking one of the smaller canals (when leaning out the window, after all, the hotel is on the top floor.) It is within easy walking distance to all of the major sites, and there are a number of lovely little restaurants tucked away in the neighborhood. It is not a luxury hotel – but simple, clean, comfortable and with a courteous staff. The breakfast was adequate; good enough to get you started on the day. It suited our needs just fine.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

412 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Park Ridge, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Venice is pricey, and it took me a while to settle on a hotel that I felt was a good value. I was looking for a room that had some charm and romance, and a view of a canal. The pictures looked promising, the price was reasonable, and I paid a bit extra for the canal view. When we arrived at the main hotel, a lady came down to take us to our room that was in a different near by building. She wasn't friendly. The thing I've learned on this trip is that a warm welcome really goes a long way, we didn't get one, instead she took us to a quiet (felt deserted) building, into a large hotel room, that felt cold despite the orange wall paper. The room smelled a bit like grandma's house, and while the furniture had that old Venetian style, it didn't feel authentic, just felt like a Venetian inspired Comfort Inn room, complete with that lame farm painting on the wall. We had a canal view, but the windows were narrow and small relative to the large room, so it didn't have the magic feel I was paying extra for. The large bed was actually two twins pushed together, not ideal for the cuddlers out there. In retrospect, I wish I focused more on finding a charming room, and let go of the canal view. The breakfast provided was nice, coffee was good, so that was a big positive. The location was great, as it's right by the Academia bridge, but away from the madness of St Marks and Rialto. So it was perfectly okay for our needs, but definitely the least memorable or charming stay during our Italy travels.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney NSW
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is an essay but I think others need to hear this full experience. I usually try to find the good in accommodations. For Palazzo Guardi I would say that is the easy to reach location from the Accademia vaporetta stop. This makes it an excellent starting point for excursions to the museums, meandering alleyways as well as finding a great place to eat at night,
However my personal experience of 'good' in the hotel room 04 of the building with a lift, stops there. I had booked a Quin room called a junior suite that could hold 5 people purposely. I had chosen the 5 person suite as we are a family of 4 with two adult 'children' travelling with us. I had even emailed after the booking was made to check of those 5 beds I would definitely have 2 single beds not just a sofa bed . Their return email said yes my room was in the lift building and had 2 single beds. However the answer should have been 'No , the Quin rooms are in the other building. While I had wanted the lift I had asked to be told the rough number of steps to the apartments in the other building ( ie 1st floor, 2nd floor etc. ) as the Quin room was my booking. The receptionist concurred I had indeed paid €35 more for the booked room vs the room I was given but now that was all they had available. What annoyed me most was the hotel was prepared to downgrade me without telling me ( lucky I looked at my booking receipt and noted the wrong room) and without refunding me !
As no quin rooms were now available I accepted taking the quad room and the receptionist agreed that the difference could become our city tax, I thought that was reasonable.
We left the bags in the room and headed off for the day returning around 6:30 pm in need of a cold drink. Opened the fridge but it wasn't turned on ( or so we thought) and the room was very hot. I checked the air conditioner and it wasn't doing anything. I then thought maybe there should be a card left in the electronic slot to keep these going so asked at reception. I was assured the cleaners must have removed it and the gentleman inserted a card. One hour later , the room was still a sauna and the fridge was still not working I decided to have a foot bath to try to cool off. Luckily something in my mind told me to check the lift up plug worked before fully filling it because it turned out that couldn't be removed either .
I returned to reception and advised the now three problems. The new reception gentleman tested the fridge and said it didn't work but we could get cold drinks from the main hotel fridge. Nice but I wanted my fridge I had paid for in the room rate. Turns out the air con was broken and nothing could be done. I asked to be moved to other rooms but he said there were none. Our room is off the main eating area so he suggested I leave the room door open to let cool air in ( sorry but I like my privacy and security and how many would like that situation). So I have emailed ( I was still up at midnight) requesting today we are moved to our real booking this morning. Will see how that goes. In fact I'll save posting this until the outcome so I can let you know the outcome. Consequently we had to open our windows to let a breeze in , some biting insects in to feast on us and to listen to the loud partying as people walked and boated along the canal.
The next morning I asked to be recompensed for
A) the extra they had charged me ( €35) for a large room but given me a small room ( I no longer wanted this to stay with them as I wasn't feeling confident it would become the city tax payment)
B) the fact that the air con and fridge didn't work.
I was told I needed to speak with the owner.
When he arrived his body language was rude and although I can only understand a little Italian ( he spoke only Italian) he was obviously not very impressed by me demanding my REAL room.
The female receptionist on the Sunday told me the people in the room before me hadn't complained about the air com and it was working! She said it was a it slow - 12 hours for cooling?? Then she said it was because we had opened the windows. We had supposedly started the air com at 6:30 pm approx. I opened the windows at just after 1am as the room was a sauna - I thought waiting 6 hours for air con to work was long enough!! The fridge , she said, wasn't actually a fridge but a cooler so it wouldn't make the cans cold. .???
Later I read on trip advisor several others in the days before us here had in fact complained about the air con and were told if was working too!
Eventually we were put into the right room and strangely this fridge was cold as was the air con ( even if we turned it off for a little while.) Why they didn't put us here straight away I can only speculate. On the day we moved into the correct room an employee had to come and change the double bed into the twins we had asked for way back when booking. While he was here my daughter and I had the window open Loki g out at the canal view we had paid for. A storm was coming and the man asked if he could close the windows for us. We thought it must have been because of the storm coming - but no - he then said he wouldn't want the room to get hot like the other one we had -would we!! How incredibly rude we thought. It was a form of bullying in my opinion. They also were very loud making out they were doing us a favour moving our room when in fact I booked and paid for that specific room months ago! There was no favour , they were in fact filling an obligation of a booking they had accepted.

The second room was quite good with a large bathroom and nice canal view. If this room is indicative of the building I'd say book the Accademia building rooms.

Room Tip: Accademia building and check facilities work and you have been given the type of room you booked and...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
PalazzoGuardi, Direttore at Palazzo Guardi, responded to this review, 1 week ago
we are sorry that you consider your stay at our hotel disappointing. We tried to give priority to your request (by e-mail) to have a lift, and that's why we've placed in a room in the main building although the room was smaller. We thought that since you were 4 guests, it was better to settle you, according to your request to have the elevator. The air conditioning in your room worked and continues to work, and the mini-bar as well. Unfortunately the room is facing the sun all day and this definitely slows down the cooling, especially if you open the windows. We granted a refund of 50 € instead of 35 € to apologize for the fact that the room was a little smaller. We hope you enjoyed our attempt to help you with your complaints and we changed the room for the next few days. Please note that not knowing the English language is not a big problem if there is someone in the hotel, who knows. If the body language of the owner was rude, how was your when you were complaining?
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed here one night in the junior suite with a canal view. The room was large, as well as the bathroom. Air conditioning was not working, but we were not too bothered by it, as it was cool outside. Nice view from the room.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We recently stayed in a junior suite with canal view in the main building. At first, I was concerned because the room was just off the breakfast room. They don't start breakfast until 8:00, and we typically were up and ready to hit the streets by that time. If you get out in the earlier morning, you can avoid much of the overwhelming crowds that populate some parts of Venice.

The location was excellent. Easy to find if you realize it is down a very narrow walkway. We spent most of our time exploring the Dorsudoro section of Venice, and some other areas that were easy to reach from there. It was easy to reach the San Marco area, where every cruise tourist seems to gravitate. Yet, it was quiet and we had lovely night time walks.

There were a few small issues. The rooms are set up with a system whereby you have to put your key in a slot in order to operate the lights, which is common in Italy, but it also operated the central air. We were there during a heat wave, and our room was very stuffy every time we returned. It took a long time for the room to cool down. The breakfast was acceptable although it would have become too redundant had we stayed for more than a couple of days.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wishes to stay outside the crowded areas but have easy access, and isn't looking for business-class hotel services.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The location is central and it is just few stops from Venezia SL and also to the attractions. The room was relatively well furnished and a bathtub was additional for the room. The air conditioner was not effective in cooling the room and it was stuffy. Feedback to the hotel staff, troubleshoot for an hour and the only resolution was to change a room. But for the inconvenience of changing room, we decided not to change room. The breakfast were of limited options. Juices, cereal, bread, cheese and ham. Lastly, we could not sleep in late as the sound proofing of the room was poor and we can hear people walking around and talking during their breakfast. The staff have limited knowledge on the attractions and traveling options. Its better to rely on google than them. There was poor communication among the staff for safe keeping of luggages. Definitely not worth the price per night!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Arriving in Venice for the first time is daunting but by reading the instructions on how to get to the Palazzo Guardi you will find your accommodation with ease compared to others who plod the streets and cross the bridges to find theirs. We were placed in the annexe of the hotel which turned out to be very nice indeed with a lovely canal outlook. There are lots of eating houses everywhere , even one downstairs ( Taverna San Trovaso ) which turned out to be one of the best.
From the Hotel all the sights of Venice can be easily accessed , either on foot or by water bus.
The secret to Venice is to know how to get from A to B without getting totally lost !!

Room Tip: Pay that little bit extra for the superior room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
PalazzoGuardi, Responsabile reception at Palazzo Guardi, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear TeriSydneyAustralia, thank you for the nice review. We are pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us in our annex (just one minute away from the mainbuiding). Taverna San Trovaso is a good solution for good prices and good food. See you next time :) Irene, Palazzo Guardi in Venice.

Been to Palazzo Guardi? Share your experiences!