“Lovely but....” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Milan, Lombardia, Italy
“Lovely but....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Hotel is in an excellent location, the staff were charming and the breakfast was great. There was tea always available in the very pretty lounge.
The problem was that the room was the smallest I have ever had in a hotel and the bathroom even smaller. There was no room to put anything. The shower was so tiny you could not turn around and I am petite. Do not stay here if you want room to relax, are generously proportioned or have any luggage at all.

Room Tip: Ask for a big room or one with a decent sized bathroom
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Ollon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

A 2-night stay in Venice for professional reasons - this hotel made our stay, and I'd definitely come back when I get the chance to return to Venice for leisure! Perfectly situated in a lovely part of Venice, just minutes away from the quiet canals and within easy walking distance of the station. Friendly, helpful, competent staff, absolutely clean and very well equipped rooms and bathrooms, excellent free WIFI, lovely breakfast, selection of teas available throughout, great charm of a beautiful old house, but very well renovated. Heating perfect. Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We traveled to Venice in mid-September 2013 and wanted to be away from the maddening crowds of St. Mark's Square. We decided to stay in the Cannaregio section for three nights pre-cruise. Yes, there are bridges to cross and crowds to deal with, but the service and location of Ca' Gottardi was above our expectations. Two minutes from the Ca' d'Oro stop and within walking distance of a real grocery store!!! (more about that to come...)

Of course we Americans will have to understand that most European rooms will be small (by our comparisons) but we spent the extra for a room with a view of the canal and we were not disappointed. I believe there is an annex with larger rooms, but we were very pleased with ours. I can't remember which number it was now, (either 110 or 220 not sure) but it was in the same hall as the sitting room with the computer, just right of the check in desk.

Despite having to go upstairs, we never had to carry our luggage, and the daily breakfast was substantial and tasty. Meats, cheeses, fruits, yogurts, specialty coffees and teas, and a little crock pot thingy with hot water to make your own soft or hard boiled eggs. Be warned that the dining area can get very busy post cruise morning, but turnaround time is pretty quick and there's a nice little sitting area to have coffee or tea while waiting for a table. This alone made it worth staying, since each morning we got a nice breakfast that kept us enduring the long walks around Venice for hours and hours. It was also nice to have free wi-fi access.

Just outside the entrance there is a little cafe where DH and enjoyed the most terrific pasta with squid in ink sauce and seafood chichetti. Some of the reviews for the "Pasqualigo" Ristorante were not so favorable, but we ate there twice in our 3 days in Venice and were not disappointed as we could even see where "our table" was from our room window! Face it folks-- EVERYTHING in Venice costs more.

The thing I was most impressed with was the fact that the staff allowed me to take a teapot of hot water into my room each evening to make a couple cups of tea. DH tells me their espresso and cappucino coffees were delicious, but I am not a big coffee drinker. I can tell you that even the "regular" coffee at breakfast was very good, because I liked it too despite my likeness for all the flavored teas there. There is always hot water available and if you really wanted coffee or a cappucino in the afternoon, I'm fairly certain they would accommodate.

Someone was available at the desk at all hours, and staff were polite and accommodating. The only sort of complaint I had, was when trying to use the "business" computer discovered that the keyboard was "Italian" and was not conducive to most English writers. No worries. If you need something printed up (i.e. boarding pass, tour receipt, etc.) just ask at the front desk.

Everyone was so friendly and helpful, with a special shout out to Fabio! We asked, and he got us a private water taxi to Murano (at no cost) but beware that the private tour guide sticks by your side the whole time. No real high pressure sales tactics, but I got the feeling he expected us to buy something. I finally just asked him to show us the "lower-end" priced items, and that basically ended our tour. Still it is a MUST-SEE because of the beautiful blown glassware and we enjoyed walking around Murano as well. The downside is we had to take the public vaporetto back to the hotel, but we just made a fun afternoon around the island and the Grand Canal.

On our return back to Venice post-cruise we stayed at another location, and there was no comparison. If we are ever lucky enough to visit Venice again, we will most definitely stay at the Ca' Gottardi.

Room Tip: If you can spare the extra $$ go for the canal view room, but if you want more space get a room in t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Maidstone
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I know I am in the real minority making any critisism of this hotel, however I think it was due to the previous fantastic reviews that made me slightly disappointed with our experience. Upon arrival, my boyfriend and I were shown to our room in the annex by a somewhat harassed receptionist. He was polite but we certainly did not experience the very warm greeting others have had. The room was very large and spotless. The bathroom was first class, however the bed was rock solid!
The breakfast the following morning was very poor, however it really redeemed itself on the second morning, with much more selection. We found it very strange to be eating amongst the reception area, but it was a lovely room.
The next two days I think we were simply unfortunate as there was a problem with the water pump in the annex, resulting in limited water pressure and it being very cool. The hotel kindly took off our tax payment to compensate for this. We did however have to keep chasing them up to fix the water.
From reading other reviews, I really would try to get a room in the main hotel block if you want to feel part of the hotel, to have character and not to have to cross a dark alley to get to the annex entrance.
All in all the hotel is not bad at all, with a large room and it is very clean. It is well positioned too.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed here the day before my cruise departure. The staff could not have been more attentive. They were amazing, they addressed me by my last name every time they would see me, I never had to lift my bags. The daily breakfast was so nice. It was clean, very updated and the location on the canal was one block in from the grand canal. It was about a 10 minute walk to st marks sqr, which for me was just fine.

Room Tip: Rooms are NOT big, but this is common in many parts of Europe.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed here with 3 other friends for a night and loved it.

First, I can definitely say that the staff were very friendly and helpful. Since we booked a bigger room (for four), the room was located in the building next door. The staff helped us carry the luggages since lifts are uncommon in Venice. When we got here at around 8pm, they even offered us tea and cookies while waiting for us to check in.

The room was quite small but manageable and clean. The decoration was a combination of modern and old Italian. The bathroom was clean and spacious. Something surprising in Venice. They had four complimentary bottles of water, coffee and Twinings Tea. Complimentary slippers were also provided.

Buffet breakfast was also included in our booking. Breakfast was decent, croissants, Danish, ham, cheese, yogurt, fruits, cereals and hard boiled eggs.

The hotel was about 15 minutes walk from the train station. We got lost that's why it took us about 30 minutes.

The staff was very nice to call us a water taxi to the Marco Polo airport. It was €30 per person from their hotel to the airport. They also allowed us to leave our luggages after we checked out since our flight was late afternoon.

All in all I loved our stay at this hotel. For sure when I come back for the 3rd time in Venice, I will be staying here. I love Venice and Ca' Gottardi!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Absolutely gorgeous room overlooking canal, coupled with fantastic service at every hour. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Located in busy Main Street. Hard to find initially but perfect location. Some amazing cicceti bars and restaurants very close. The hotel had some great recommendations.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Ca' Gottardi? Share your experiences!