““Excellent hotel with great location and very helpful,polite staff.”” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Antiche Figure

Save Saved
You added Hotel Antiche Figure to your Saves list
Hotel Antiche Figure
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Santa Croce, 687 | Fondamenta S. Simeon Piccolo, 30135 Venice, Italy (San Croce)   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #8 of 382 Hotels in Venice
Thessaloniki, Greece
““Excellent hotel with great location and very helpful,polite staff.””
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My colleagues and I spent 3 nights here in November. A beautiful old hotel on the Grande Canal opposite the railway station and and 5 minutes walk to the Bus Station "Piazzale Roma".My room and bathroom were extremely clean and very comfortable .The breakfast was very good. There was free internet connection in the room. Last time I was in Venice, even though I stayed in a 4 stars hotel there was no free internet connection in the rooms.We were extremely pleased with all aspects of the hotel and would certainly stay there on our next visits.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

My wife and I spent 3 nights here in September. A beautiful old hotel on the Grande Canal opposite the railway station and 15 minutes walk to San Marcos Basilica and other attractions.
We were extremely pleased with all aspects of the hotel and would certainly stay there on our next visit, hopefully for a week.

Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I had the pleasure to stay at the Antiche Figure for one night precruise Sept 21st. I arrived by train from Rome and this hotel was an easy walk over 1 bridge with luggage.

The staff was EXCELLENT! Great tips on what to do with our limited time in Venice. Also recommended somewhere to eat upon arrival even though it was mid afternoon and really too early for supper in Italy. They called ahead to ensure the kitchen was opened, gave our names and when we arrived the staff were literally waiting outside for us!

We stayed in a canopy room in the annex which was lovely. It had the most AMAZING shower! My only small (and i mean very slight) disappointment was that there was no wifi in the room. There was however ,wifi in the lobby when I needed to use it.

The breakfast room was fabulous with lots of choices.

Upon checkout, it was about a 7 minute walk over 2 bridges to reach the People Mover to go to the Cruise Terminal.

Next time I am in Italy, i will certainly return to Venice for a longer period of time and would include this hotel in my travel plans!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

the really positive reviews and the competitive price led us to this hotel and we were not disappointed. The hotel had a really convenient location, the staff were extremely welcoming and helpful and the rooms were very pleasant and clean. A couple of things meant I could not give it the full 5/5. We booked a room at the front with a canal view for which we paid the premium. However it is worth noting that the grey facade of the train station is directly opposite, nice to see the Grand Canal, but the building opposite not so pretty. Also one of our party was given an up graded suite, which was fine in itself but the Location was less great as it was down a side alley and not in the main building. Breakfasts were fine, with a good selection of pastries and rolls but a limited selection of cereal and juice. Having said all this I would definitely not be deterred from booking the hotel again as the positives by far outweighed the few negatives.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We arrived by train for Florence and looked over the canal and there it was. Our wonderful Hotel ...the bridge makes this a 300 metre wak to the hotel Fabulous... Our room was in true Italian style and the room was pretty the staff very helpful and obliging. Loved the shower,no water shortage here ..Great breakfast included.I loved Venice. Unlike the review that tells you to beware of the scam tour my one aim in Venice was to go to Murano for the glass making. The tour offered was explained as NO OBLIGATION TO BUY. We had an impressive glass making display by some of the Masters, They are a very hard sell and I think a little on the high side maybe 25%. But remember Italy is definitely doing it tough with the GFC. I did buy 45kilos worth and it has arrived in Australia deivered by air in four days from shipping all included in the price as was the Insurance.That is not offered as included in the shops. Completed with the celebration of champagne and and extra gift which I chose myself. Also Venice is jam packed with Chinese copies of MURANO in some shops so maybe I paid a little more but I own a genuine MURANO, sitting in my living room, made by a Grand Master. I am very happy.I would definitely go back to Hotel Antiche Figure.

Room Tip: Not on the front the canal is quite noisy but it does quieten down in the evening.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Hotel was beautiful, spacious, clean and staff were friendly. However, be aware of the scam. They offered us a free one hour tour to start our Venice journey. It was very disappointing as it was not a tour at all but a direct boat trip to a glass making factory and shop. There was no way to go anywhere else until they decided to provide a boat back. The glass shop is impressive but most items can be bought on the main islands for a third of the cost. Only reason for the tour offers to guilt you into buying some very expensive glass decorations. Apparently other hotels offer these scams as well so be cautious not to waste a morning on this.

Room Tip: We arrived late by train so were very happy with proximity. We had access to gondals, water busses...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The Hotel Antiche Figure is a very comfortable and aesthetically pleasing hotel facing the Canal Grande. It has a very obliging and friendly staff, and is an excellent base for a Venice vacation.

It is in a handy spot opposite the Stazione di Venezia S Lucia (and no train noise). Thanks to the hotel’s location on the opposite bank of the Canal Grande, we did not have to endure the vast crowds streaming past the hotels on the station side of the canal (and this was shoulder season in September, unlike the shoulder-to-shoulder season of mid-summer).

However, if you are arriving by train, it is well worth your while (and your back’s health) to ask the hotel about booking a licenced porter to assist with your luggage over the Ponte Scalzi (bridge over the Canal Grande). This is 10€ well worth spending. (I actually do not recall finding this information on the hotel website, but I might have missed it.)

The room was furnished beautifully, and came with a very large bathroom (with 2 sinks!). Our room faced the Canal Grande – very nice spending time watching the dizzying variety of traffic on the Canal Grande, from water ambulances to vaporetto (public ferries).

The staff were very friendly and very obliging. They also seemed very patient, too, especially in dealing with some of our fellow guests who felt obliged to tell their life stories as they made simple requests. I would single out Sgr Michel (not sure is spelling is correct) for particular praise. He suggested (and subsequently booked) a lovely restaurant for the occasion of the 19th anniversary of my wife and I, as well as organising a gondola journey for us as well.

The hotel restaurant (for breakfast, included in tariff) and bar (for aperitivo) were also most enjoyable. May I suggest that you do try the breakfast cappuccino, rather than the caffè americano; the latter is nice enough, but hey, you’re here to try new experiences!

After the 1st night, we concentrated on walking the lanes of Venice. In doing so, we found a number of off-the-beaten-track cafes for simple but yummy and filling dinners. Well worth the effort, and well worth stumbling your way through a phrase book or app; truly memorable.

The hotel is remarkably quiet (in September – although the house was full when we were there) for its location. It is also handy to the ACTV wharves for the public ferry services all over Venice – just down the street as well as over the Canal Grande. It is well worth paying for a ferry pass – the ticket queues are big, the ticket machines fiddly, and the price of an individual trip is high. We paid extra on our passes to access the Vaporetto dell'Arte (the new ferry service touted as less crowded and more tourist-oriented), but it never seemed to show up when we were looking for it.

Internet access in the room is free via cable. You have the option of renting an antenna from a nearby shop to convert the cable to wi fi, at a cost (September 2012) of 3€ or so.

You might be wary of the Murano glass tours that are pushed by many hotels in Venice (including this one); the free water taxi to Murano island sounds nice, but the pressure is certainly on to buy as soon as you step ashore. The shop people also went rather cold when we decided on a 55€ clock (at the “cheap” end of the visit, after passing metres of shelves of items costing hundreds or thousands of euro). You might be more comfortable just taking the public ferry to Murano yourself, or looking in one of the Murano glass shops (with certification) in Venice itself – far more relaxing, and certainly fits in with Venice being a walking city.

Walking is certainly the thing to do in Venice, if you are up for it (and lots of bridge steps too!). The little laneways are awe-inspiringly beautiful – flower boxes, house birds singing, distant domes and steeples – and are best found by simply walking a lot off the beaten track. The hotel staff are very helpful with suggested walks around the Old Jewish Quarter and other places. Ensure you have a good map!

In summary – my wife and I certainly understand why people fall in love with and in Venice. And the Hotel Antiche Figure is a lovely place to do both these things.

Room Tip: - Try a room facing the Canal Grande; well worth it!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Antiche Figure? Share your experiences!