“Good location, good value” 4 of 5 stars

Ca del Dose
Castello, 3801 | Calle del Dose, 30122 Venice, Italy   |
Ranked #39 of 165 Specialty Lodging in Venice
Brooklyn, New York
“Good location, good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The street is small and the hotel/b&b/motel/whatever is unassuming, so it's easy to miss. The rooms we were given were actually around the corner from the hotel's reception. I think there are also residential apartments in the same building. When we arrived, the woman was very nice and showed us to our rooms (her English was limiting but so was our Italian so we evened out with gestures) which was in a quiet square. Our "room" was on the 3rd floor of the building. It can be pretty creepy climbing the dark narrow stairs in the building. Our "room" was actually an apartment - it had two bedrooms, a living room, a dining room with a full kitchen and a bathroom with a shower. It was great! (Unfortunately for our friends, they had a room on the first floor that was really just one room.) Our place was still cleaned daily. The square we were situated in can get creepy at night because it's so dark and quiet but it's very close to the water buses and Piazza San Marco and the major sites. One major issue was that the a/c didn't work. I didn't leave the windows open because I didn't want mosquitoes to bite me but I still got bit. Also, the reception area isn't open 24 hours and it was very difficult to get help from the front desk. I'm not sure what time they open or close. We couldn't check out before 11am because the reception was closed. I think it's still a great value.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Wonderful small hotel with location, location, location.
Easy access from train station on regular taxi-boat service.
Located 1/2 block down alley from Grand Canal and 2 bridges from Doge's Palace. Easy walking distance to same.
In fact, good walking distance to all of main part of Venice.
Good-natured, helpful owner-manager. Good restaurant recommendations.
He also has apartments if you are staying longer.
Our room, while up three flights, made up for it by having a deck outdoors with a view of the GC.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is so close to everything that matters in Venice! A few minutes walk from San Marco square and even less from the Arsenale water taxi stop. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming, the rooms are clean, the bed is comfortable, the shower and bathroom are well equipped with all the essentials. There is a small refrigerator and TV in the room and wifi is available. We came in the winter, the hotel is warm through out and the room always warm and welcoming. I adored having shutters to close out the night air and a nearby light and then, experiencing the delight of opening them in the morning to welcome the the warm bright Venetian sunshine pouring into our room. Lorenzo the owner was more than helpful with his advice about airport transport and how to get around in Venice. Pack light because there is no elevator and you will have to carry your cases up the stairs to the room and most importantly... You MUST have room to pack all the beautiful Venetian souvenirs!
Enjoy this hotel, its hospitality and the surrounds... Venice is pure magic.

Room Tip: Couldn't unclick fitness center, walking around Venice for hours will get you fit!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Boulder
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I came to Venice to visit my daughter who is studying there for a semester and was extremely pleased with my choice of this hotel, which I highly recommend in every respect, but first and foremost for the considerate hospitality of the owners who were as helpful as can be. As for the room, I was very pleased with its lovely decor, which the internet pictures don't even fully reflect. It was also quiet, cozy and warm, with plenty of space for a solo traveler. I was also very pleased with the great room-darkening shutters in the room. The location is also fantastic, being only 5 minutes away by foot from Piazza San Marco. An added bonus was the great little Italian restaurant right next door, where we had very tasty pasta meals. All in all, I had a great stay there.

Room Tip: Just wanted to mention the morning church bells that are probably unavoidable in all parts of the ho...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Just 10 minute walk from st marks square. Very welcoming although desk is not manned 24 hour, however they were kind enough to let us leave the bags and give us a front door key after we'd checked out as our flight wasn't until later on. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated, yes they are small and theres no lift but but this is a 16 century building in Venice - most of the hotels are small and almost none of them have lifts!! Very comfortable - would recommend this to anyone whether budget or not.

Room Tip: If you stay here get the water bus from the airport and get off at Arsenale stop, it's closer.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Having read the mixed reviews on TA, I realised that people staying in the hotel itself were generally satisfied, while those booking the hotel but who were put in rooms "round the corner" had a number of complaints. With this in mind I contacted the owner directly, and asked for hotel availability. Lorenzo confirmed my dates, but it wasn't until his second email that he told me that I was going to be in a "dependance" round the corner from the hotel. Based on others' comments I wrote back, told him I wasn't happy as some of the reviews were very negative, and asked for further information about the room I'd be in. I quote from his reply. " Thank you for the email. The depandance of the bad reviews, there isn't now, this is new, trust in me is beautiful." Well, I trusted him, and my advice to ALL Trip Advisor readers is DON'T! Look for another hotel and a more trustworthy hotel owner in Venice, as there are plenty.

We ended up in a two bedroomed apartment, with damp patches on the bedroom walls, ugly dirty grouting on the shower cubicle, and shower cubicle doors that were impossible to close and needed two people to manouver them. The cupboards in the living area were full of someone's junk - and in the kitchen area contained half empty food packets. The hotel reception was very rarely staffed unless new arrivals were expected, so we couldn't have accessed the wifi even if we wanted to. When I eventually raised my concerns with Lorenzo he told me that he had no control over the dependances - he just rented them from other owners. He claimed that the owner had told him all the problems had been sorted out - but these problems are so obvious that he can see them for himself when he shows people round. If he wants to protect his reputation he should set higher standards for those he works with, otherwise these negative comments reflect very badly on him and his hotel. As I didn't see any of the hotel rooms, I have no way of knowing whether his lack of attention to detail applies there as well.

I'm not sure what "scrumptious basket of treats" means in daisylind's review, but we got nothing. Even though we had a kitchen area there was no kettle or pan to boil water, and we felt the need to carefully clean two glasses before using them. The settee and chair in the living area were covered with slightly grubby throws, and I chose not to look at the state of the upholstery beneath. The cleaners cleaned well, but they couldn't do much to improve the state of the flat itself. Luckily the bed was comfortable! The very sad part of this is that it wouldn't take a great deal of money or effort to upgrade this grubby flat into a stylish apartment - but I would discourage anyone reading this from booking with Ca del Dose. Venice is a beautiful city, and a stay there deserves better than this sort of accommodation. The location of Ca del Dose is good - but so is everywhere in this compact city.

Room Tip: Just don't accept a room outside the hotel itself (though I can't speak for the hotel rooms...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Long overdue review! Stayed here for our honeymoon; FANTASTIC!! Superb location, just lovely little place with a scrumptious basket of treats and an adorable view. Nothing but wonderful memories!!! : D

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ca del Dose? Share your experiences!