“3 nights in Venice - perfect Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Igea

You added Villa Igea to your Saves list
Villa Igea
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Campo San Zaccaria 4684, 30122 Venice, Italy (Castello)   |
Ranked #84 of 383 Hotels in Venice
London, United Kingdom
“3 nights in Venice - perfect Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Having just spent three nights in Venice with my boyfriend for his 30th Birthday i would recommend this hotel to everyone. I agree the rooms aren't large but they don't need to be, you aren't in the room very much. The bathroom was lovely, breakfast really good every morning and the staff very nice.
The location was spot on and made it perfect for our weekend. I would certainly go back here if i visit Venice again.

Room Tip: Room 612, air conditioning worked well and the room was very clean.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is a sister hotel of Savoya but it's off the main road. It's very close to St. Marcos and all the water taxi stations. Location is the reason why I chose it. It's very convenient for me to photograph Santa Maria at sunrise by walking just steps out of the hotel.

The standard-single room is the smallest hotel room I've ever stayed in (think American walk-in closet size). The decor is tasteful. The room is clean and quiet (facing a small square off the main road). But you'll get claustrophobic if you stay in there all day. I thought it wouldn't be a problem for me since I usually only stayed in for sleep. Unfortunately, I ran into a severe storm in Venice and was forced to stay in for most of the day.

I have to echo others' comments about arrogant staff. The front desk staff was alright. Some were quite helpful. OTOH, the restaurant staff seems to have contempt for "tourists". On the 1st day of my arrival, I was tired and decided to have lunch in the Savoya restaurant. There's a fixed 2 course meal named "Tourist Menu". It sounded like a good deal. When I asked about it, the waiter responded: "So you want frozen food instead of fresh food?" I ended up ordering a tuna salad instead (not very good) and never ate in that restaurant again during my stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed at Villa Igea prior to our cruise. We found the staff to be helpful and friendly. The breakfast was buffet style with a good variety of food to please just about everyone. The rooms were small and clean. It was quiet at night because it was not located on the canal, Our room overlooked a small square. We were pleasantly surprised to find out how close we were to San Marco Square. It was only a five to ten minute walk. We also enjoyed the tours we took to Murano which is known for glassmakng, Burano where we saw ladies handmaking lace cloths and then off to Torcello which is small. Unfortunately, we did not have much time to spend on each island Loved the water taxi rides!! Good value for the price especially being in Venice. We would return to this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed in 3 hotels in Italy and this one was the worst. We could not get the heat above 18.5 C and saw some evidence of bed bugs, at least in the past. I'm still baking my clothes in my car to make sure I don't infest my house. The manager seemed a bit arrogant. Avoid the "free" Murano tour via this hotel--there was almost no watching the glass blowers and instead it was all about buying the glass. The breakfast was OK, but not great, and the coffee was downright terrible, which is a shame in Italy. The location was good and there were some nice restaurants and shops nearby. It was very quiet and the bathroom was renovated and was nice. The front desk people were helpful, but really, nothing makes up for freezing and the threat of bedbugs. They did give us a breakfast-in-a bag to go on our last night because we had to leave in the middle of the night and that was kind, but there was no coffee available and that's really all we wanted. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

This hotel is the 3 star of the Savoya on the Grand Canal. After arriving after a long train trip we were greeted by a member of staff who we found to be quite arrogant. We were lucky to be given a room with a 2nd bedroom so we were off to a better start. The location is perfect and eating breakfast every morning overlooking the Grand Canal is a bonus. I thought the breakfast could have been better after all it advertised a American Breakfast and it certainly was not that.
We did not have a bad experience but other hotels we stayed at in Italy were definitely better.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Great staff for the most part. Was only put off because we're offered a 'free' one hour boat tour from the hotel because it was our honeymoon, only to find it on the bill upon check out- and the manager joked with us saying that 'nobody ever takes me up on this fantastic offer!' I wonder why?
Other than that the staff were excellent. Clean room, although being on level 2 (I think it's 6 in elevator) we couldn't open our windows due to them being over air con vents- the smell was horrible. Had to leave air con on the whole time jut for some type of air in room.
The location is excellent, you can go a back way to San Marco to avoid the crowds, or walk across the water approx 5 mins.
Would return but not in the same room. Would only come back to one of their balcony rooms for some fresh air as not being able to open windows really put us off.

Room Tip: Higher levels with either a balcony or a room facing the small church and square.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

much the same as the other review. .great location..rooms are typical tourist size...small..aiecon in Italy. ...doesn't happen.

but we're here for venice nit the room comforts.

that said. .this is the first hotel with a semi real shower....no a hand held thing in a bath tub with a shower screen.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Villa Igea? Share your experiences!