“A Great Place to Stay in Venice” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Isola di San Clemente 1, 30124 Venice, Italy   |
Ranked #29 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco, California
“A Great Place to Stay in Venice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Rooms are large and luxurious, and very quiet. The service is outstanding, and the food excellent. Breakfasts are extensive and great.

Venice is a crowed (though beautiful and interesting place) - a population of 50,000 and 25 million tourists a year. That is 500 visitors for every resident every year, so you will not find restaurants without tourists and will find a retreat like the San Clemente Palace a very pleasant way to experience Venice. The house car is a boat, of course, and the ride to San Marco short and very pleasant.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My sister and I really enjoyed our stay at this oasis by Venice. The staff was wonderful! Ketty met us when we stepped off our short boat ride from San Marco and immediately made us feel welcome. She was always ready to help us in any way.

Guillome was extremely warm and helpful. I feel like he is one of a kind and the hotel is so lucky to have him. I feel like I've made a new friend.

If you want to relax and be pampered stay at the st Regis San Clemente palace.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Just returned from a three night stay at the St Regis San Clemente Palace and it has been a lovely experience. This was our first trip to Venice and we wanted something a little quieter, as many reviews mention the noise and bustle of the city. We weren't disappointed.
We were celebrating a special occasion and having booked a deluxe room we were delighted to find the we had been upgraded to a junior suite. The service and attention to detail is second to none. Staff are really friendly and the style of the hotel, although very grand with the enormous corridors and staircase, still feels very comfortable.
Prices in the hotel are high, but if you book an inclusive breakfast and then eat in Venice itself, you won't break the bank. We did have lunch at the pool bar one day as they have the only wood fired pizza oven in the area, but thought the pizza a little disappointing. We also had dinner in the Acquerello restaurant and although we thought the food was good, the wine is very expensive. We had a complementary glass of champagne and they provided a beautiful dessert plate which really added so,etching extra to an already lovely dinner. It was a shame that the weather was not good, as I am sure that dining on the terrace overlooking the lagoon would be an added bonus.

The hotel arranged a trip to Murano with a private tour of a glass factory and we were under no obligation to purchase anything, although of course we couldn't resist.

All in all we would thoroughly recommend this hotel - the shuttle boat whisks you to St Marks square in ten minutes, so you can be in the centre of the action whenever you want to be, but enjoy the peace, tranquility and bird song on your private island. What's not to like!

Room Tip: Ask for a lagoon view
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We researched hotels in Venice quite extensively before choosing the St Regis and I can categorically say I wouldn't have wanted to stay anywhere else, having just returned. But there are still teething troubles/level of service that isn't quite there yet. So, the good and the bad:

Good:

Location: be ready for the fact that Venice is swarming with tourists. It's quite overwhelming at times, so unless you want to step out of your door straight into it by basing yourself on the mainland, this hotel has THE best location. You are 10 minutes from St Mark's Square by boat and it's a joy to get back to the hotel's island.

Grounds: stunning. You must visit the little church adjoining the hotel, it's 12th century and beautifully preserved, although not in use. The gardens are just beautiful.

Hotel: So it's gone through what looks like a big renovation. No expense spared and it's beautifully decorated. The smell when you walk in is divine.

Room: We had a Lagoon Room. I wasn't quite sure what this would mean or look like but can enlighten you! It isn't the biggest room, but it has THE most amazing view across the what-looks-like sea but is the lagoon, with a view of all the key churches and Venice, it's just stunning. It's worth going for this room as the view is really incredible.

Bar: Indoor bar is art deco style and gorgeous, we admittedly didn't drink there but I'd be happy to.

Pool: really gorgeous. We spent the afternoon of one of our three days relaxing and it was amazing. Even the pool floor feels incredible, like marble! Some people on here said the water was freezing, so I was expecting that, but it was fine to go in - and I'm a girl who feels the cold!

Hotel food: we only had the breakfast which was included on the package we had, but it was wonderful - mostly. The room is stunning and selection is great. Comments on the bad further below.

Shuttle: it runs every 30 minutes and takes 10 or so minutes each way. Really lovely experience.

What needs improving:

Room: so the air conditioning is a bit of a nightmare in this hotel. I like my room cool but certainly not as cool as some of my American friends do, from work travel, so I'm pretty easy to please. However: although this room has the quietest a/c I've experienced, it's totally uncontrollable in the room itself - it's controlled from a central unit operated by the hotel. So it's permanently set at 22.8 degrees C - and this is the best case scenario. It went up to 24.8 at some points and at night, the room was really hot.

Their option: open the window! I suffer from mosquito allergies, so this was a crazy scenario. They claim it's Venice law that the a/c cannot be on all day until the summer months, but even when it was on, the room was really warm, to be honest.

TV: If you're an English speaker, don't expect to have decent TV channels. There were around 4 English ones, BBC World, Bloomberg and CNN which had no sound. I told them about this and it never got fixed. Thank god for a middle eastern channel, that put subtitles on US films as my husband and I could at least watch that for a little one night!

Bathroom: so the bathroom looked great upon first glance. Then I saw the shape of the shower: rectangular. The tray for products is in the wrong corner, so if you stand facing the door you're squashed, or facing the tap, you're compressed against the shower tray. Also the shower head which looks v impressive is set as if for someone who's 12 feet tall. By the time the water reaches you, it's not that powerful. Products: they were rubbish!!! Laboratoire Remede. The shower gel had these annoying beads that needed to disintegrate on your skin and it felt really drying. Even my husband who's easy going on stuff like that ended up using the shampoo in the shower, which he found awful. Then we saw the housekeeper's trolley and she had Acqua di Parma products on it for rooms on our floor! I know our room may not have been the top, but it wasn't the lowest category, either. So put good products in the rooms as standard! Bathroom storage: ladies, if you're coming for more than a night, be ready for the fact that there's nowhere to put your products other than on the floor/round the basin. No shelf or storage, which I found disappointing. And they don't lay your products out on a nice tool, I in fact found the housekeeper routinely knocked my bottles over when we came back to the room.Turndown sweets: don't bother. The chewy fruit things, every night. Given how much heritage Venice has with good chocolate, these were really below par. I know it's small, but it makes a difference.

Pool bar: Really lovely, but understaffed. X1 barman, so between 12-3pm, he couldn't keep up with the deluge of people wanting to try their cocktails. We waited 15 minutes each time for a drink.

Hotel food: they haven't quite got to grips with what different nationalities will want at breakfast. My husband ordered eggs sunny side up and they came having been fried on both sides. Scrambled eggs were left without any heat under them today and so were cold. I only drink soya milk and today they couldn't make a soya capuccino, despite being able to make it the days before. These are easy things to fix, but should be working already.

Concierge recommendation: We were recommended a restaurant and place for drinks last night, both of which really weren't great. Admittedly we come from London, which has amazing bars and restaurants, but we told the concierge where we'd gone the previous nights and what we liked and his restaurant choice was one that looked inside like a bus station - bright lights and no atmosphere! These things matter and when you come to Venice as a couple, you'd like a bit of atmosphere!

Having said all of this, the hotel cannot do enough to please you.They try really hard and if you do complain, they want to fix it. It did sometimes feel like when you didn't need any help, there were 10 people there to help you and when you called for something, nobody would answer the phone/ there'd be nobody there to assist you.

We did feel a bit like guinea pigs in their trial period and the summer will be a big test. I'm assuming their competitor will be the Cipriani, which is a slick, established hotel, but I'm happy we did stay at the San Clemente Palace as I preferred it, having visited the Cipriani for drinks. If you ask me if I'd recommend staying here, I would definitely say yes.

Final tips:

Let the hotel book your water taxi from the airport. It's the easiest way to get to the hotel and they only put 10 Euros on the price to book it for you.

Take your swimwear, the pool is lovely and it's worth relaxing for a couple of hours.

Take your mosquito repellent - the hotel told me beforehand that it isn't the season yet - nostrum what planet they were on as they are around, but I managed to avoid getting bitten by wearing repellent.

Ladies, only bring your heels if you can genuinely walk in them! A lot of the good restaurants are a walk, so you'll be glad you're in your flats.

Room Tip: Go for the Lagoon room, as the view is across the open water where you'll see the Venice landmar...
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Cannot recommend this hotel highly enough, we had a lovely time. The location is perfect and a real contrast to the hustle and bustle of San Marco, it is the perfect oasis of tranquillity. The staff are very polite, helpful and attentive to your every need, always seemed willing to do whatever was required to make our stay go smoothly. The room was immaculate, very tastefully decorated and furnished to a high standard. The island is beautiful, it even has its own church which is beautiful and nice to explore while you're waiting on the shuttle. We had a free room upgrade on arrival to a deluxe room with a view. Breakfast was a little pricey but there was a fantastic spread with the most amazing pastries. I'm already planning my next stay here, can't wait to go back.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The location of this grand (by which I mean huge and plush) hotel is spectacular, and getting to and from the mayhem of Venice is easy with hotel's private boat. The staff were wonderful and well intentioned, but seemed a bit inexperienced and there were too many of them, definitely outnumbering the guests. We stayed with two children and the hotel proved to be very child friendly in many ways, except the menu, which is quite fussy and offers very little that our pasta-loving children wanted to eat, surprisingly. Personally, this hotel was not to our taste, it was just a little too grandiose and old-fashioned, with very high ceilings and windows, and the huge empty corridors making it feel austere and a little bit spooky even (thinking of "The Shining"). Possibly a question of taste. Lovely grounds and tennis court, which we enjoyed.

Room Tip: If the budget allows, stretch to a lagoon - view room, as otherwise there is a slight prison feel.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The Hotel:
Grand appearance matched by the excellent service throughout our stay, the staff did everything possible to make our stay a memorable one and fully succeeded. One of the most beautiful hotels you'll ever find with views of Venice from across the Lagoon.

Tip: Ask for a Lagoon view room.

Staff: They seem to hire extremely well, genuinely helpful staff at all times, Antonio the concierge was first class, as was Giorgio the reception desk supervisor and ALL the ladies at reception. We didn't have breakfast included but they kindly upgraded us free of charge, no fuss.

Helpful Tip: They provide a complimentary boat shuttle between the hotel and St Mark's Square every 30mins, it takes 10mins each way. Where you jump off the boat across the river there's a sister hotel 30 yards to the right - Hotel Danieli - fantastic roof top restaurant and afternoon tea. You can go right in and take a lift to the top floor, fantastic views and excellent food.

Restaurant & Bar
We had a sandwich at the bar and dinner at the main restaurant, drinks at the outdoor lounge area. Service was top notch, however, in my opinion, they have their price elasticity of demand completely wrong, massively over priced (similar prices to the Ritz in London for example) even with the Euro to the sterling being low at the moment £1 : 1.38 Euros. This was evident in the bars and restaurants of this large hotel being almost empty throughout our stay even though the food and drinks are of a very high standard although not mind blowing like the prices. This was the only negative.

Best tip: Ask for the complimentary trip to Murano island (world famous for it's glass making and a n all round charming island worth a visit) not advertised but they kindly provide a complimentary return boat trip and a tour of the glass factory where you can watch the artists in action at no extra charge.

How to get here from the airport: We pre-booked a private water taxi online, which was 110 euros each way and took 40 minutes passing through Murano Island. To get to the boats you exit the airport, cross the road and just follow the plastic tunnel (7-10min walk) Prices for taxis as for the gondolas are fixed across Venice it seems.

Would we go again? Definitely, we would only stay at this hotel if we ever did return to Venice, it's that good.

Room Tip: Ask for a Lagoon View room
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Been to The St. Regis Venice San Clemente Palace? Share your experiences!